• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Clyde, its basically stunning how warped your perception is. Go play with cazic.

NFC championship game and you don't stop complaining about Smith for a single fucking day.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL. You're gonna give Smith 3.3mil per year for his first 3 years? That's your offer? You would get laughed right off the negotiating table. Even if you backload it, how much would it be? You would have to backload about ~30mil the last two years. No agent in his right mind would agree to that contract.

People have to accept that there's already the 8.9 per year benchmark that Fitzpatrick's contract set. Even if Alex takes a hometown discount, it'll probably be around 7.5mil per season.

duh, you actually took it as $10M for total of 3 years, geez.

should i even need to respond Clyde?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, now that's just fucking stupid. The Niners went 13-3, were a bad bounce from an NFC Championship, and Smith had a 90+ QB rating. And that's leaving aside his skill set, the lack of decent options, his comfort with the team and vice versa.......sorry, but I have to take back my rational comment.

I was thinking about this during the postgame show the other night.....how many times have we heard "finally Smith has a good game!". Seriously, at least 5 games this year were followed by "is this the game we've been waiting for?", and that's after numerous games in previous years. The problem, as far as I can tell, is people who are unable to assimilate new information effectively.....once they make a decision about somebody/something, they have a very hard time adjusting this judgment when new or different information is obtained. Smith sucks, period, and every time he does well its a surprise. If anyone is familiar with the Myers-Briggs psychology test stuff, this is one of the fundamentals of the J/P category.

We can reframe from name calling, I haven't went there, no reason you should. Just relax a little bit, Player.

First, most of those 13 wins were from a great defensive effort, others from a great ground game, mixed in with a complete team effort here and there, while I'll give Smith the Lions game throw and the Saints game throws. As far as the Championship game, well, imo I think we might not have been in a one bounce away situation with better qb play. To me, a qb should be confident enough to make the tough throws on occasion, the wr's won't always be wide open, you just have to make the play happen. You can't always be so scared of messing up, thinking too much, just play instinctively.

You have to remember, the good games you're talking about, with all the 90 ratings, were on average 11 for 20 for 175 yds no picks and 2 td's. I have no problem with that, that's fine...for him. I'm just saying its hard to win it all with that type of ability. The numbers look great though, 90 rating, only 5 picks. To me, those numbers shouldn't get this guy a contract that will stop us from being able to sign a true impact olb or wr. REGARDLESS OF WHAT YO'RE TALKING ABOUT.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We can reframe from name calling, I haven't went there, no reason you should. Just relax a little bit, Player.

Ever heard of "passive-aggressive"? That was your "you let one game fool you" line, so practice what you preach and I may follow suit.

No doubt I get fired up over this stuff, but you must realize you are entering a years-old argument......tempers have long since flared.

As far as the rest of this, you continue to downplay Smith's contribution in almost every word you post. This is the stuff that pisses me off, and always will.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jesus Christ you say 29th in passing and then say only 1 team passed less. You are crapping on your own point.

There almost no chance in Hell Kap does what happened this year in similar conditions.
If we had passed the ball 1.54 times per game we would of moved up to 22nd in yards. Its a close bunch in that area.

We were the best in limiting INTs while about avg in producing TDs and yards per pass. That was done with lackluster WRs and Pass Protection.

I could see Kappy having a rookie Andy Dalton like year in 2012. But Andy if you took away AJ Green.

agree, if you break it down to just passing offense AND, imply the entire passing game is only the QB, then you can argue 29th ranked. this ranking is also affected by how much times you throw, but Clyde knows this.

the passing offense includes the entire offensive unit, a little play calling, and how the run game is helping. it does start with the QB no question, but it ain't 100% the QB.

so CK has to come in and run the entire offense, including reading D's, and adjustments at the line. he may one day be just as good as Alex, but can't see that day being this season?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clyde, its basically stunning how warped your perception is. Go play with cazic.

NFC championship game and you don't stop complaining about Smith for a single fucking day.

agree, it is amazing for Clyde and this specific topic.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not claiming CK or even Tolzien can't get as good as Alex Smith is now, but how long will it take? to think they'll play well enough to get the #2 seed and win a play-off game NEXT season...........is unrealistic. do we want to kill the great chemistry of this team? cause player by player have confirmed its one of the best.

in the bigger picture, the majority of 2nd round QB's don't pan out to what Alex proved this season.

Because Smith has proven that he is that much better than them? If Tolzien would've played this preseason for the Niners the way he played for the Chargers he likely would be the starter. Smith only got the job because Kaep played so bad. As a matter of fact, didn't Harbaugh say today that Smith isn't even named the starter for next season?

– Harbaugh may be on record for wanting Alex Smith to return, he won’t guarantee Smith the starting job over Colin Kaepernick next season.

Jim Harbaugh shows pride, disappointment, defiance in season-ending press conference | 49ers Hot Read

I guess he's not convinced either, what do you think? I can't wait to hear this.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever heard of "passive-aggressive"? That was your "you let one game fool you" line, so practice what you preach and I may follow suit.

No doubt I get fired up over this stuff, but you must realize you are entering a years-old argument......tempers have long since flared.

As far as the rest of this, you continue to downplay Smith's contribution in almost every word you post. This is the stuff that pisses me off, and always will.

OK, let me take it there then.

I don't give a fuck about you getting fired up, pissed off or whatever you call it. You sound like a "sucka" to me anyways. I'm not sure what you're implying over the computer about flaring tempers and how mad you are, when you could imply your anger in person if there is a problem. i can be anywhere in Bay, quick.

If you notice, you're the only one trying to argue with somebody over nothing. I haven't heard one person bash AS, I see people with business minds thinking about how to keep the team strong by not blowing the cap space on a mediocre player that has had 1 ok season out of 7 years, that happened to be with a staff thats known for building qb's. Whatever though, I don't want to talk about that no more.

I want to talk about this "mad", "pissed", "tempers flare". You seem to have a lot of aggression towards me, for a reason I don't know? Is there some problem we have? A healthy sports discussion has to turn into a heated thing?

If there is something else going on with you where you feel like you just need to spar, release some of your anger, I'm your huckleberry. Hit me on the inbox so we don't have to make a spectacle in the thread.

If I'm just seeing something that isn't there, just let me know right here.

I'm not that dude, we haven't debated a year about this. I normally stay out of Alex Smith debates.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because Smith has proven that he is that much better than them? If Tolzien would've played this preseason for the Niners the way he played for the Chargers he likely would be the starter. Smith only got the job because Kaep played so bad. As a matter of fact, didn't Harbaugh say today that Smith isn't even named the starter for next season?
– Harbaugh may be on record for wanting Alex Smith to return, he won’t guarantee Smith the starting job over Colin Kaepernick next season.

Jim Harbaugh shows pride, disappointment, defiance in season-ending press conference | 49ers Hot Read

I guess he's not convinced either, what do you think? I can't wait to hear this.

your first paragraph is unbelievably wrong, doesn't warrant a response.

didn't read the article yet but its not unusual for a HC to say no guarantees? don't see a problem with Harbaugh having competition at QB, we should expect him to ensure the best players play.

now IF the QB competition is between the same three QB's, who would you bet your $10,000 on?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your first paragraph is unbelievably wrong, doesn't warrant a response.

didn't read the article yet but its not unusual for a HC to say no guarantees? don't see a problem with Harbaugh having competition at QB, we should expect him to ensure the best players play.

now IF the QB competition is between the same three QB's, who would you bet your $10,000 on?

The better question is why would you give a guy 7 mil a season to compete for the job?

Which brings me back to my original point, I don't think they're trying to give him that type of money. I think if he wants that, he'll be gone.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean when Harbaugh said this??
“You pretty much know how we go about that. Everything is earned, everything is competed for. That was the beauty of Alex Smith this past offseason. Many people have written we told him the job was his; we never said that. We’ll get this best quarterbacks in here, throw out the balls. That is a position that is earned. It’s never an anointed position.”

You're reading that differently than I am apparently, you're saying that you believe the QB position should be handed to Smith if he were any good... and citing Harbaugh's insistence that every position is earned every year, and that the QB position is earned and never anointed as proof that Harbaugh doesn't believe in him...

You're clearly misinterpreting what Harbaugh is saying, to fit your point of view.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deep9er;1599544[B said:
]your first paragraph is unbelievably wrong, doesn't warrant a response.[/B]

says who, you?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow....lots and lots of passive-aggressive. I mean, I'm not proud of my temper but at least I'm honest.

Let me tell you why this stuff kills me. I was hanging out with the Smith family before the game the other day at their tailgate. While I'm not close with Alex, I know the rest of his family well and have hung out with them many games over the years. Over the past few years, until this one, they hadn't come to as many games, and I hadn't gone all this year.....so I hadn't seen his parents in a while. And seeing them this weekend....I was almost shocked at how much his mom and dad had aged. His dad looks 10 years older than he did 2 years ago. Now, at that age in life its hard to tell - sometimes the years just catch up. But in his case, its been the incredible amount of stress, negativity, and pressure that has surrounded Alex and his years here.

Now, while Alex hasn't been good, the vast majority of this negativity has been from dumb fans, who don't understand what they're watching, but feel the need to comment anyway. Fans who got pissed at Smith years ago and have never been able to let it go. Fans who can't grasp the fact that just because the camera points at the QB, he's not responsible for everything. This negativity has real-life consequences, and seeing it this weekend made me sad and angry and all that at the same time. Just a bunch of fucking idiots.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ok i read it. my comment on competition stands, its no surprise Harbaugh will always look for the better player. this applies to all positions, not just QB. i WANT him to have competition and the players expect it.

but were you implying Harbaugh wasn't even sure we'd re-sign Alex Smith?

my comment on $10k also stands, if its the same three QB's next season, who do you put your money on?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean when Harbaugh said this??

You're reading that differently than I am apparently, you're saying that you believe the QB position should be handed to Smith if he were any good... and citing Harbaugh's insistence that every position is earned every year, and that the QB position is earned and never anointed as proof that Harbaugh doesn't believe in him...

You're clearly misinterpreting what Harbaugh is saying, to fit your point of view.

You're putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that both Mannings, Brady , Rothlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Newton, Vick, and a slew of others don't have to battle. They play well enough, consistent enough to not have to. I'm saying that if they were to give him the 7 mil a season, what the fuck is the battle for? If you resign a player to that type of money it should mean you are the starter, to me.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about what his regular season rank was in passing. We went 13-3 and Alex did better in the playoffs against the Giants than Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan. Alex also beat Drew Brees at his own game. Everything else can blow me. Sign the guy and move along.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok i read it. my comment on competition stands, its no surprise Harbaugh will always look for the better player. this applies to all positions, not just QB. i WANT him to have competition and the players expect it.

but were you implying Harbaugh wasn't even sure we'd re-sign Alex Smith?

my comment on $10k also stands, if its the same three QB's next season, who do you put your money on?

Neither. I wouldn't fuck with that bet.

However, I was implying that I don't think he's going to get offered the type of money people are talking, and if he demands it, he's gone. Is that clear enough? I hope so because I got to bounce. Catch up with ya'll later. I'm still down to DISCUSS. All that mad and tempers shit some are talking, might want to chill though. Some cats is real out here, don't get it twisted.

Go Niners

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about what his regular season rank was in passing. We went 13-3 and Alex did better in the playoffs against the Giants than Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan. Alex also beat Drew Brees at his own game. Everything else can blow me. Sign the guy and move along.

What if the money he demands would stop us from picking up Mario Williams? Would you choose Smith over a player like Mario Williams? I'm just sayin. They have a lot of people to sign still to keep the defense and st in tact. That is our bread and butter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow....lots and lots of passive-aggressive. I mean, I'm not proud of my temper but at least I'm honest.

Let me tell you why this stuff kills me. I was hanging out with the Smith family before the game the other day at their tailgate. While I'm not close with Alex, I know the rest of his family well and have hung out with them many games over the years. Over the past few years, until this one, they hadn't come to as many games, and I hadn't gone all this year.....so I hadn't seen his parents in a while. And seeing them this weekend....I was almost shocked at how much his mom and dad had aged. His dad looks 10 years older than he did 2 years ago. Now, at that age in life its hard to tell - sometimes the years just catch up. But in his case, its been the incredible amount of stress, negativity, and pressure that has surrounded Alex and his years here.

Now, while Alex hasn't been good, the vast majority of this negativity has been from dumb fans, who don't understand what they're watching, but feel the need to comment anyway. Fans who got pissed at Smith years ago and have never been able to let it go. Fans who can't grasp the fact that just because the camera points at the QB, he's not responsible for everything. This negativity has real-life consequences, and seeing it this weekend made me sad and angry and all that at the same time. Just a bunch of fucking idiots.

i'll confirm for the majority of old people, your body ages with acceleration. the older you get, the quicker you look aged. so looking 10 years older in 2 years isn't surprising. and yes, i look AGED. haaaa

have to admit i didn't "buy in" to Alex Smith till about game 5 or 6. "buy in" doesn't mean i feel he's the 'future', but finally admitted he took a big step up and more importantly........played consistenly at that step.

no doubt we all have six previous years of Alex Smith clutter, not blaming others for that. but you'd think after a full season and play-off games, there'd MUCH less?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could sign both. But for the fun of it we need a QB more than a second pass rusher.