• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would not be willing to let Carlos Rogers or Goldson walk so we can re-sign Alex Smith.

I would allow one other free agent walk so we could re-sign Alex Smith. Someone like Brooks, Ginn, or Snyder.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would guess if Alex comes back and returns to his former self he will be replaced in the starting lineup stat.

If they could sign Alex to a deal that would make that an easier option for the coaching staff I would be all for it. If they commit big money and years to Smith they may let him struggle longer.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they could sign Alex to a deal that would make that an easier option for the coaching staff I would be all for it. If they commit big money and years to Smith they may let him struggle longer.

I'm sure the contract would have an escape clause but even if it didn't, I don't see us leaving Smith in if he is not producing. There would simply be too much financial risk involved to allow Smith to lead us out of the playoffs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You don't suddenly let your QB go after reaching the NFC Championship

You mean like when Kordel Stewart reached the AFC Championship? Good thing the Steelers stuck with him through thick & thin instead of drafting that bust Roethlisberger.

Or like how Jake Plummer got the Brocos to the AFC Championship?
Or how Trent Dilfer & Rex Grossman got their teams PAST the Conference Chapionship game?

Alex is essentially Jake Plummer (I forget; how SB titles did Jake win?)

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would not be willing to let Carlos Rogers or Goldson walk so we can re-sign Alex Smith.

I would allow one other free agent walk so we could re-sign Alex Smith. Someone like Brooks, Ginn, or Snyder.

just something to consider, not arguing........both of these guys signed one year deals for a reason?

they don't cost as much as Alex but wouldn't expect a 'discount' from either? the franchise tag for CB is about $14-15M, got this from a Johnathan Joseph article last year. what did Asomougha get last year? anyways, Rogers can say all he wants now, we'll see what he actually accepts?

last year Goldson was clearly looking for big money, after his good season why would he think 'discount'?

btw - can't explain these franchise numbers i'm getting, QB should be higher than CB? without looking further, i'm guessing my QB number is too low?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We can sign all of those guys based off my numbers in the off-season thread. If they want more than my projections then we are fucked. The only guys that become sketchy at that point are the Snyder's and Ginns unless you give up on trying to sign a free agent WR that can be a starter.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean like when Kordel Stewart reached the AFC Championship? Good thing the Steelers stuck with him through thick & thin instead of drafting that bust Roethlisberger.

Or how Trent Dilfer & Rex Grossman got their teams PAST the Conference Chapionship game?

smith is similar to plummer, but he doesn't put the team in a hole in the 1st half

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's absolutely shocking to me how defensive people on this board get that maybe, just maybe, signing Smith to a huge contract wouldn't be the best idea for this team going forward.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EKMane....just LOL. You've never seen these guys play, you're guessing, you're giving them a very generous benefit of the doubt because of how you feel about Smith, and on top of it all you're trying to justify it based on some kind of tangential logic about the coaching staff.

Everyone here has seen this all before.....very common "anybody but Smith" logic. You're not the first to try these lines out.

I think you have me confused? I haven't given these guys any credit, just the coaching staff. I think they can get either one of the hand picked rookies (who will be 2nd year players) to play as well as they got Alex Smith to play the first time they worked with him, the same way they made Josh Johnson a 5th round pick out of San Diego University, the same way Andrew Luck is touted the next great one. See the coincidence?

You're on your own with the anybody but Smith, I said I wouldn't be disappointed if he came back, just as long as his signing doesn't affect the signing of an impact player.

Space, I've got to break it to you. You're wrong about it being "anybody but Smith". It's "any handpicked rookies but Smith". Just playin'.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning's contract is around $18M right? isn't Brady around this level? what would Rodgers and Brees get if they were free agents?

the franchise tag is about $14.5M right?

so Alex Smith did play on the cheap this season. now that he's proven to be consistent including play-off games, $9M isn't so far fetched. both parties know its a win-win situation and we'll likely get a 'discount', but if you 'low ball' Alex and he decides to 'finger' the 49ers (he doesn't need the money), then what?

then we start one of these rookies and re-live all the turnovers till they become competent......assuming they even get to where Alex is now? then this defense won't have a chance defending short fields next two seasons.

then you same fans will say Jed was cheap and should've signed Alex Smith.

I've heard people say that Alex may figure it out some day but we shouldn't waste Willis and Gore's days getting to that point. Now that Alex is probably closer to the goal than they are, it's suddenly ok to go through growing years with them. The people saying the former may not be the same people saying the latter, so take that with a grain of salt. But I think our defense is built for now and our offense will only grow with continuity, starting from the most important position on the field. This doesn't bar development of the rest or playing the better QB if someone beats out Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since your post talked about teams offering 8 million a year then how about 6 vs 8. I say he stays with us.

As for 4 vs 6...I still think he stays with us. There is no way he goes to a team like Seattle for a contract difference like that.

This is still the guy that didn't even entertain offers from other teams last off-season and ran "Camp Alex" without a contract even in place. He loves Harbaugh and will not allow his agent's negotiations to make him leave.

I wouldn't lowball him for this, this isn't buying a car. I would offer what I think he's worth (or slightly under that to then compromise), I wouldn't be thinking - he's loyal, let's screw him over. I do feel we have leverage and I do think we should prioritize our team with as many weapons we can over 'rewarding' him for past work (this season), but I wouldn't be offering him 4 when that was what he got before he improved. I'd go up slightly in pay and go further than a few years (further than 2).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim fucking Kawakami, I repeat, Tim fucking Kawakami thinks a starting point for Alex is 9 per.

The 49ers’ search for a No. 1 WR–and possible Super Bowl-maker–begins | Talking Points

...and just like that - I save three minutes of my life...

Kawakami...haha. I refuse to read his garbage. He's a TMZ writer disguised as a sports writer.

I agree that Kawakami is a TMZ reporter waste of time, but the point was that if a guy who clearly didn't like Alex and went for shock value on how bad Smith was thinks 9 million is the starting point, then what would a person who liked him start at? It's reasonable to think someone who didn't like him would lowball him. He wasn't saying Tim fucking Kawakami in the same way as Joe fucking Montana.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Space, I've got to break it to you. You're wrong about it being "anybody but Smith". It's "any handpicked rookies but Smith". Just playin'.

Stop playin' stupid. No one is saying replace Smith with any rookie (Kap won't be a rookie next year) or any guy off the streets. Everyone has already said that they want Alex Smith back at their 'right' price. Like I said repeatedly, I'd love to have Smith back at the right price. Unfortunately, I don't think that right price will be what he and his agent demand, and if early talks are 9-11mil per year for Smith, I'll pass. Not because I hate Smith or because I'm undermining his improvement this year, but because I don't think the drop-off would be that significant in our passing if we go to Kap. IF there's a drop-off.

I don't understand why that's so unfathomable to this board. I don't understand why this makes everyone so fucking defensive. At the end of the day Alex was a cog in this team - and quite frankly, behind the defense, running game, and maybe even the special teams in terms of important.

If you feel comfortable giving him 10mil per year for the next 4 seasons go ahead. I'm not signing off on that contract.

I know, I know. I sound like Cazic. I shouldn't question Alex. He should demand any contract he wants and we should welcome him with open arms because he's just so fucking good.

:lm::lm::lm::lm:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop playin' stupid. No one is saying replace Smith with any rookie (Kap won't be a rookie next year) or any guy off the streets. Everyone has already said that they want Alex Smith back at their 'right' price. Like I said repeatedly, I'd love to have Smith back at the right price. Unfortunately, I don't think that right price will be what he and his agent demand, and if early talks are 9-11mil per year for Smith, I'll pass. Not because I hate Smith or because I'm undermining his improvement this year, but because I don't think the drop-off would be that significant in our passing if we go to Kap. IF there's a drop-off.

I don't understand why that's so unfathomable to this board. I don't understand why this makes everyone so fucking defensive. At the end of the day Alex was a cog in this team - and quite frankly, behind the defense, running game, and maybe even the special teams in terms of important.

If you feel comfortable giving him 10mil per year for the next 4 seasons go ahead. I'm not signing off on that contract.

I know, I know. I sound like Cazic. I shouldn't question Alex. He should demand any contract he wants and we should welcome him with open arms because he's just so fucking good.

:lm::lm::lm::lm:

Man, I was kidding. Space was getting so into it I was trying to tease him about it. I understand now from re-reading my post on what it sounded like I was saying. I was pointing out what looked like a minor contradiction in EKMane's post (that he didn't mean anybody, he meant hand picked anybodies). For the record, I am not far off on EKMane's point, I just thought it was funny how it looked like a contradiction.

I'm only defensive when people say "only" "always" "never" "can't" about things because I think it is overly simplified. I called out (sort of) flyingiguana yesterday for going overboard (IMO) against Kaepernick. I'm not the one to be afraid of mob attacking you. If I were, I wouldn't have said it was good to have you back a few days ago.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many did Dan Marino win? Jim Kelly? Phillip Rivers? Carson Palmer? Donavan McNabb? Tony Romo? Michael Vick? Daunte Culpepper? Jeff Garcia? Fran Tarkenton? Dan Fouts?

Several of these guys are Hall of Fame Quarterbacks, and the ones that are not are still top QB's of their era. They never won a Super Bowl.

I'll also repeat that Alex Smith outplayed Mr. Elite himself Eli Manning. Alex posted a 97.6 QB rating to Eli's 82.3. Eli's should not have even been that high considering at least 2 of passes should have been picked off. Alex also posted the numbers of any QB that played the Giants in this post season. I know it's shocking but yes Alex actually out played Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Kawakami is a TMZ reporter waste of time, but the point was that if a guy who clearly didn't like Alex and went for shock value on how bad Smith was thinks 9 million is the starting point, then what would a person who liked him start at? It's reasonable to think someone who didn't like him would lowball him. He wasn't saying Tim fucking Kawakami in the same way as Joe fucking Montana.

Exactly my point. I'm glad someone picked up on that. Tim rode Smith's ass hard and even he thinks he's worth some coin now.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How many did Dan Marino win? Jim Kelly? Phillip Rivers? Carson Palmer? Donavan McNabb? Tony Romo? Michael Vick? Daunte Culpepper? Jeff Garcia? Fran Tarkenton? Dan Fouts?

Several of these guys are Hall of Fame Quarterbacks, and the ones that are not are still top QB's of their era. They never won a Super Bowl.

I'll also repeat that Alex Smith outplayed Mr. Elite himself Eli Manning. Alex posted a 97.6 QB rating to Eli's 82.3. Eli's should not have even been that high considering at least 2 of passes should have been picked off. Alex also posted the numbers of any QB that played the Giants in this post season. I know it's shocking but yes Alex actually out played Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs.

Alex Smith had a better QB rating than Eli because the Giants D was no where near as dominating as the 49er D.

I actually think Eli played better. Under immense pressure (6 sacks, 20 QB hits) he found his receivers and he was very efficient on 3rd and long, and also Eli did not turn it over.

Alex was not under as much duress, and Alex was absolutely horrible on 3rd and long.

How well do you think Alex would play if he had to play against the 49er defense? I think the 49er defense would destroy him.