• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My comfort contract for Smith was either a 2-year/$15M or a 3-year/$21M. So, at the low end I'm fine, but at the upper end - yikes! I'm sure the details will be conducive to our future plans.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if im smith i will be telling the agent to look at other teams as well, a two year deal is insulting. vick got a 100m deal based on one season, even kolb got five years

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if im smith i will be telling the agent to look at other teams as well, a two year deal is insulting. vick got a 100m deal based on one season, even kolb got five years

The Vick deal and the Kolb deal were both major mistakes. Vick is >30 years old and is quite often injured. Kolb just sucks. Both were kind of desperation moves.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the plan is to develop kap for 3 years?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Vick deal and the Kolb deal were both major mistakes. Vick is >30 years old and is quite often injured. Kolb just sucks. Both were kind of desperation moves.

So what contract is fair to use as a starting point to set the market?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be at least a 4 year deal for Smith maybe even 5 years. I'd say around 8-10 million per year. That would be a deal for the team considering what Kolb and Fitzpatrick got and neither of them even have a postseason win. It's probably less than Matt Flynn will get and he's barely even played. I know some think that's over paying, but it's really not for a starting QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That doesn't matter to his agent. What matters to him is what he thinks his client is worth or should get. He will cite whatever precedence out there to improve his odds. I know you were speaking from a team's perspective, but you were responding to a comment on what the agent's angle would be. So I take it that you accept what the guy said should be used as an argument and are countering it from the perspective of the team.

I say this because I think what the guy said should absolutely be part of what the agent should use to negotiate. Giving an unexperienced, less proven player five years and Alex 2 is insulting. Don't expect the agent to be self-depricating. Alex is worth more as far as he's concerned. (Maybe not five, but not two) Vick did it in one year (not two show-me contracts) so that's one thing to consider - I doubt he'd ask for that money, but length is a more effective argument - especially when the team can cut him later and it symbolically shows trust in Smith. It also gives him some comfort that if he performs he will be here for a while. (While it also ensures that if he doesn't, he's cuttable, per league policies favoring owners).

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
picture yourself in Jed's chair, you send the message down the line.......let Alex Smith walk and allow CK to ascend as starter.

if the team keeps winning you look brilliant for saving $10 - $1.5 = $8.5M. if the team struggles at .500 (not even saying losing record), what will the fan reaction be?

can you take the chance we struggle along and possibly not make the play-offs? be lambasted by media and talking heads? do you want to take the chance you'll be called a "non football person", "cheap Owner trying to save $8.5M", "finally getting the ship sailing and sinking it again"? wouldn't season tickets sales slow, the push for the new stadium financing slow?

i wouldn't take that chance so not going to ask the 49ers too either.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
picture yourself in Jed's chair, you send the message down the line.......let Alex Smith walk and allow CK to ascend as starter.

if the team keeps winning you look brilliant for saving $10 - $1.5 = $8.5M. if the team struggles at .500 (not even saying losing record), what will the fan reaction be?

can you take the chance we struggle along and possibly not make the play-offs? be lambasted by media and talking heads? do you want to take the chance you'll be called a "non football person", "cheap Owner trying to save $8.5M", "finally getting the ship sailing and sinking it again"? wouldn't season tickets sales slow, the push for the new stadium financing slow?

i wouldn't take that chance so not going to ask the 49ers too either.

Good points, Deep. I agree. Unless you have a suitable 'playoff' back-up plan then you structure a nice contract for Smith with more back doors than the home on the neighborhood whore and you proceed from there...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points, Deep. I agree. Unless you have a suitable 'playoff' back-up plan then you structure a nice contract for Smith with more back doors than the home on the neighborhood whore and you proceed from there...

Dude wtf :rofl:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

haaaa, wow! had to read it twice.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was a point to be made?
Damn now I got to read it twice as well.

LOL!!!...You know, now I'm not even sure if there was a point...

Is it too early for this----> :drink:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when was the last time we had the same qb and coordinator to start the season? our offense is a few players away from being capable of dominating.

considering the strides smith has made since last years near benching in the eagles game, a 2 year deal would be amazing. we get the flexibility to see if smith can take the next step and it gives kap a 3 solid years to sit and learn.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when was the last time we had the same qb and coordinator to start the season? our offense is a few players away from being capable of dominating.

considering the strides smith has made since last years near benching in the eagles game, a 2 year deal would be amazing. we get the flexibility to see if smith can take the next step and it gives kap a 3 solid years to sit and learn.

Well we had Alex Smith and Jimmy Raye for a few games, but Alex was not the opening day starter the year before and Jimmy Raye did not make it through the entire 2nd year. Mike Singletary didn't either.