• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and what has he done to show an ego? The litany of crimes that the fans have ascribed to Alex Smith is endless from having small hands to being paid ridiculous contracts. The fans live in constant fear that Alex Smith will be paid one cent above the cellar price. He is being callled Alex Vick. You would think he has killed some dogs as well. Thought this forum had gained a modicum of perspective with this improved season but it has not.

He hasn't shown one, however, he has NEVER had a good season. I just hope he stays humble and puts the team first, like he has always done. The fact of the matter is that I can only recall ONE game in his whole career where he has put the team on his back and won with his arm, regardless of whatever the excuse might be, only ONE.

So I'll say again what I've been saying since about halfway through the season, I think it would be the right move to bring Smith back as long as his demands don't get out of hand, AT ALL. The money needs to be spent on keeping the defense together, as well as upgrading wr, olb and maybe rg. That won't be able to be accomplished if Smith and his agent think he has FINALLY ARRIVED, and this team would fizzle without him.

*Note: This I highly doubt

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You don't think a team will pay him 8 mill when a team like Buffalo gave all that money to Fitzpatrick? Look how much the Cardinals paid for Kolb. Seattle showed interest in Alex last off-season.

I highly doubt Seattle would spend over 30 million for 4 years on a guy like Smith when they already have guys like Jackson and Whitehurst, and with Carroll's boy coming out in the drat next season. And you still didn't answer my second question...even if they did offer Alex and we offered 24 mill over 4 years would he still leave us?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is paying the new market rate when you realize you have to include signing bonus. You can be pissed at Buffalo.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Seattle would spend over 30 million for 4 years on a guy like Smith when they already have guys like Jackson and Whitehurst, and with Carroll's boy coming out in the drat next season. And you still didn't answer my second question...even if they did offer Alex and we offered 24 mill over 4 years would he still leave us?

In regards to Seattle, My point was when the perception was nobody wanted him there was still interest and that was last off-season. I didn't answer your second question because it didn't make any sense on my end.

We offer him 8 and another team offers him 10? 2 mill more than what?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In regards to Seattle, My point was when the perception was nobody wanted him there was still interest and that was last off-season. I didn't answer your second question because it didn't make any sense on my end.

We offer him 8 and another team offers him 10? 2 mill more than what?

The question is simple, if another team offers him more than what we are willing to (say 2 million more per year) would Alex still leave us for that other team. The clear answer is no way. It would be career suicide to switch offenses once again and leave Harbaugh. He needs us more than we need him.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and what has he done to show an ego? The litany of crimes that the fans have ascribed to Alex Smith is endless from having small hands to being paid ridiculous contracts. The fans live in constant fear that Alex Smith will be paid one cent above the cellar price. He is being callled Alex Vick. You would think he has killed some dogs as well. Thought this forum had gained a modicum of perspective with this improved season but it has not.

You're right about that. His good season has only proved (to me) the point of how important it is to have a staff with a clue. What has Alex Smith's season proved to you?

Look, I understand that we've all had our fingers crossed for 7 seasons waiting for Smith to not mess it up, AGAIN. He had a pretty good season and everyone breathed a sigh of relief and is now feeling a bit comfy. I don't think you can win a title playing comfy. All he was was a stop gap qb, that's the fact of the matter. I don't have any insight on their practices to know if one of the other qb's are ready or not, I only know that Harbaugh snatched up 2 rookies this season that he wanted to work with. If either one of those guys are even close to ready, and Smith doesn't give a hometown discount, there is no way he get's re signed. Nobody in their right mind thinks that Alex Smith is the glue of this team.

I do know that the two rookies must have been doing something well in those practices for the staff to feel that one of them could step in and play if Smith had got injured heading into the playoffs. They never felt that they needed a vet qb, even after it was clear that we were playoff bound. That spells confidence to me.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is simple, if another team offers him more than what we are willing to (say 2 million more per year) would Alex still leave us for that other team. The clear answer is no way. It would be career suicide to switch offenses once again and leave Harbaugh. He needs us more than we need him.

Under this scenario what exactly are we offering him? That is a key component.

Otherwise I can say if we offered him 4 and another team offered him 6 then without a doubt he'd walk.

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with the point that Alex Smith needs us more than we need him.

I'm pretty confident that either Kap or Tolzien, under the current coaching staff, could probably do what Alex did last year in the regular season.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Under this scenario what exactly are we offering him? That is a key component.

Otherwise I can say if we offered him 4 and another team offered him 6 then without a doubt he'd walk.

Since your post talked about teams offering 8 million a year then how about 6 vs 8. I say he stays with us.

As for 4 vs 6...I still think he stays with us. There is no way he goes to a team like Seattle for a contract difference like that.

This is still the guy that didn't even entertain offers from other teams last off-season and ran "Camp Alex" without a contract even in place. He loves Harbaugh and will not allow his agent's negotiations to make him leave.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If either one of those guys are even close to ready, and Smith doesn't give a hometown discount, there is no way he get's re signed. Nobody in their right mind thinks that Alex Smith is the glue of this team.

I think you should be even more extreme and definitive....."no way"...."nobody in their right mind".

He's not "the glue", but he is an important piece. Until further notice, there is no other QB on the roster that can be trusted with an NFL season, and its somewhat ridiculous that some fans are assuming Kap or Tolzien can be slotted in......some people are just dead-set against giving Smith any credit at all, and try to give Harbaugh all credit for his success.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since your post talked about teams offering 8 million a year then how about 6 vs 8. I say he stays with us.

As for 4 vs 6...I still think he stays with us. There is no way he goes to a team like Seattle for a contract difference like that.

This is still the guy that didn't even entertain offers from other teams last off-season and ran "Camp Alex" without a contract even in place. He loves Harbaugh and will not allow his agent's negotiations to make him leave.

Wow. He played for 6 mill this season. I never said another team would offer more than 8 mill. If we offered him 4 per he would laugh in our faces as it would clearly be a tremendous amount of disrespect. I don't think it is outrageous to consider that his performance this last season deserves a 2 million dollar raise.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you should be even more extreme and definitive....."no way"...."nobody in their right mind".

He's not "the glue", but he is an important piece. Until further notice, there is no other QB on the roster that can be trusted with an NFL season, and its somewhat ridiculous that some fans are assuming Kap or Tolzien can be slotted in......some people are just dead-set against giving Smith any credit at all, and try to give Harbaugh all credit for his success.

Yep. They stay in their caves while the team is in contention for the Superbowl, then emerge as soon as the team loses, with the usual line that any old dick could do what Smith does.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow. He played for 6 mill this season. I never said another team would offer more than 8 mill. If we offered him 4 per he would laugh in our faces as it would clearly be a tremendous amount of disrespect. I don't think it is outrageous to consider that his performance this last season deserves a 2 million dollar raise.

Obviously I'm assuming he gets a ~4 year deal. A 1 year deal like that was higher for a reason - no long term security with guaranteed money.
And I still dont think he leaves. I guess we can agree to disagree. The guy wants to come back more than anything...his career depends on it. He knows that if he doesn't he will be a career backup after next year. We should play that card. I think if we offer 5-6 mill a year for 3-4 years we will get him easily. I'd go 4 years at 5 mill per year with major incentives tied into it...including starts, playoff wins, regular season wins, etc. No stats incentives though...I hate that crap...makes even the best of guys think me-first and not team-first.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smith executed this season. Are you happy now?

I have to disagree that no qb on the team is NFL ready. If that was the case, don't you think they would've picked up a vet as it became clear we were headed to the playoffs? Alex Smith has been injured to a degree during every season he's played, there was no guarantees that this season would be different. If the other qb's were so "not NFL ready" then that means you believe in your heart that the staff is unprepared, I think that is wrong, I think they are very prepared. Do you really think that if Alex was hurt in the 1st quarter against the Saints we would've just given up, or do you think the staff hadn't thought about that one? You want everyone to give Alex a gang of credit for a 29th ranked pass offense, though you won't give the staff any credit for being prepared in the playoffs.

I think some of you have to get your minds right, no disrespect, I'm just sayin though.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I'm assuming he gets a ~4 year deal. A 1 year deal like that was higher for a reason - no long term security with guaranteed money.
And I still dont think he leaves. I guess we can agree to disagree. The guy wants to come back more than anything...his career depends on it. He knows that if he doesn't he will be a career backup after next year. We should play that card. I think if we offer 5-6 mill a year for 3-4 years we will get him easily. I'd go 4 years at 5 mill per year with major incentives tied into it...including starts, playoff wins, regular season wins, etc. No stats incentives though...I hate that crap...makes even the best of guys think me-first and not team-first.

I considered his one year deal a prove it deal. He proved it and it wasn't high. 6 per with incentives = 8
So what are we arguing about?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I considered his one year deal a prove it deal. He proved it and it wasn't high. 6 per with incentives = 8
So what are we arguing about?

6 per with incentives is 6 per with incentives. It is not 8. If in years 3 and 4 of his contract he is battling Kaep for playing time I don't want him making 8. Hence the incentives. There is a big difference.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have to disagree that no qb on the team is NFL ready. If that was the case, don't you think they would've picked up a vet as it became clear we were headed to the playoffs?

You're guessing, just leave it at that......you haven't seen any of these backups play NFL football, so you have no idea.

The rationale that the coaching staff wouldn't go without an NFL-ready backup doesn't compute. They went without one from the first game of the season, and obviously preferred to have a young QB in the wings than a reliable veteran. This should be apparent.

You'd go with blind faith in one of the backups over what you know with Alex. Not mysterious, we see it here all the time. Very typical of the people that give him no credit.