• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a first time starting qb could turn into such a waste of a good defense...

I'm probably in the top ten of Smith supporters, if not top five, but all this extra picking on Kaep is reminiscent of those who picked on Alex, though this could be worse given the little time Kaep has had. In response to criticisms of Alex, I understand. But a new post to pick on Kaep (or Tolzien, technically)? Rookies will waste good defenses and he's basically a rookie in playing experience, but saying so sounds like he's worse than a rookie. Sometimes pointing out the obvious is a little bit pointed.

I am a huge supporter of bringing back Smith and I really don't care how much he's paid unless we get close to our cap, something we didn't do this year. I lived in Utah during his college years and was excited when my favorite team drafted him. It seemed like I was the only one. I think Smith would do better than Kaep and believe there's a chance he'll keep improving to a point Kaep never catches up. But I can't say that long term it'll be that way because I don't know Alex or Kaep. I hope Alex improves and leads us to SBs, but I'm not going to put down others to reach there.

By the way, I'm not just responding to this post because this one is actually ok. It did say "could" not "will" so I give you credit for that. It's the body of work, i.e the body of your posts, that makes me feel that there is a little pushing. I do think you are rational, I just don't want more derision on the boards by advocacy for Alex or for Kaep more than there already is. You know? Keeping open minded but with opinions is great. People tend to strengthen their advocacy for one guy when they feel others are pushing it. Having said that, feel free to ignore this post if you wish, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith does not get a good contract, at least $20m+, he should join another franchise because these fans dont and will never appreciate him.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Smith does not get a good contract, at least $20m+, he should join another franchise because these fans dont and will never appreciate him.

$20m+ for how many years?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if Alex Smith did this for another team, say the Ravens, we'd be preaching to Raven fans.....sign him idiots. but we're 49er fans cluttered with his previous six years.

Alex Smith EARNED a good contract but don't see him getting a franchise amount. over paying will occur no matter what other FA we bring in, might as well sign the guy who's got chemistry with this HC and players. might as well sign the proven guy who has the scheme down pat.

simply turning this over to CK and EXPECT him to match Alex Smith is worse. then fans will deny they wanted Alex gone, and blame Jed York for a stupid decision. blame Jed for being cheap.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if Alex Smith did this for another team, say the Ravens, we'd be preaching to Raven fans.....sign him idiots. but we're 49er fans cluttered with his previous six years.

Alex Smith EARNED a good contract but don't see him getting a franchise amount. over paying will occur no matter what other FA we bring in, might as well sign the guy who's got chemistry with this HC and players. might as well sign the proven guy who has the scheme down pat.

simply turning this over to CK and EXPECT him to match Alex Smith is worse. then fans will deny they wanted Alex gone, and blame Jed York for a stupid decision. blame Jed for being cheap.

there isn't a team out there willing to pay alex more than 7 million per year. just look at the teams that need QBs: seattle (they're happier with jackson and the draft), arizona (invested in kolb), Minnesota (committed to ponder), redskins (shanahan will develop his own guy in the draft and they probably feel grossman/beck are as good), jets (they're going peyton or sanchez), Miami (Flynn or draft), Buffalo (Fitz), Cleveland (Holmgren will draft his own guy or go after Flynn - probably feel McCoy is comprable to Smith anyways and he's younger), Tennessee (Hass and Locker), Indy (Luck), Denver (haha that'd be funny...bring in Smith to take over for Tebow...that'd go over well), Oakland (too invested in Palmer), and Chiefs (lots of $$ in Cassel...they'll start over in the draft before hitting FA for a QB). So out of those teams who exactly is going to give big money to Alex?????? Matt Flynn is widely considered a much better QB option in the FA market. And then there are guys like Orton and Jason Campbell who many feel are just as capable as alex. They will be cheap...probably get backup type money.

and if we even just get in the ballpark (not more) of what other teams offer, alex will still choose to return. his career is just starting to get on track...no way he sabotages it by switching teams and learning yet another offense. the more i look at it we could easily bring him back at 20 million for 4 years. He doesn't have a ton of options

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there isn't a team out there willing to pay alex more than 7 million per year. just look at the teams that need QBs: seattle (they're happier with jackson and the draft), arizona (invested in kolb), Minnesota (committed to ponder), redskins (shanahan will develop his own guy in the draft and they probably feel grossman/beck are as good), jets (they're going peyton or sanchez), Miami (Flynn or draft), Buffalo (Fitz), Cleveland (Holmgren will draft his own guy or go after Flynn - probably feel McCoy is comprable to Smith anyways and he's younger), Tennessee (Hass and Locker), Indy (Luck), Denver (haha that'd be funny...bring in Smith to take over for Tebow...that'd go over well), Oakland (too invested in Palmer), and Chiefs (lots of $$ in Cassel...they'll start over in the draft before hitting FA for a QB). So out of those teams who exactly is going to give big money to Alex?????? Matt Flynn is widely considered a much better QB option in the FA market. And then there are guys like Orton and Jason Campbell who many feel are just as capable as alex. They will be cheap...probably get backup type money.

and if we even just get in the ballpark (not more) of what other teams offer, alex will still choose to return. his career is just starting to get on track...no way he sabotages it by switching teams and learning yet another offense. the more i look at it we could easily bring him back at 20 million for 4 years. He doesn't have a ton of options

yes, so re-signing Alex is the lesser of the evils.

will have to disagree with 20 million for 4 years, unless he has a lot more in 'likely' incentives? he'll get something like Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract.

don't like overpaying Alex Smith, but don't like the other options even more.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What has he done to appreciate him? He's took it upon himself to win ONE GAME with his arm. That's cool, I was sure jumping and yelling at the top of my lungs when he did it. On the other hand, I just really don't want to see him hold the ball hella long because his first read isn't open, or because the 2nd read wasn't right next to the first. I really don't want to sit through another season of... never mind. It really doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind him coming back if he and his agent understand that he already got paid as a rookie, now is not the time to get an ego.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm glad people keep bringing up Fitzpatrick's contract because the Niners, if they're smart, can learn from the Bills' mistake; you don't give that much money to an average QB who's on a hot streak but can't play at that level consistently. Now the Bills are paying for it big time because they're stuck with a pretty big contract for a guy who isn't very good.

Anyone who expects Alex to string together 3 or 4 good games in a row against playoff teams (which is what he'd have to do to win a SB) is either crazy or drunk. I'm sorry; that's the way it is. The defense would have to rival some of the best of all time to win a SB with him.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has he done to appreciate him? He's took it upon himself to win ONE GAME with his arm. That's cool, I was sure jumping and yelling at the top of my lungs when he did it. On the other hand, I just really don't want to see him hold the ball hella long because his first read isn't open, or because the 2nd read wasn't right next to the first. I really don't want to sit through another season of... never mind. It really doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind him coming back if he and his agent understand that he already got paid as a rookie, now is not the time to get an ego.

and what has he done to show an ego? The litany of crimes that the fans have ascribed to Alex Smith is endless from having small hands to being paid ridiculous contracts. The fans live in constant fear that Alex Smith will be paid one cent above the cellar price. He is being callled Alex Vick. You would think he has killed some dogs as well. Thought this forum had gained a modicum of perspective with this improved season but it has not.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find this topic funny.
We all know Alex Smith is coming back so what's the point of this discussion? You don't suddenly let your QB go after reaching the NFC Championship, especially when he is under 30 and just had the best season of his career. This will also be the first time in his career he gets to run the same offense 2 years in a row with the same coach and coordinator (assuming Roman gets now more offers).

Alex, Rogers, and Goldson should be top priority to get re-signed. They are all part of our core group and vital to next year. Their are others I'd like us to re-sign, but they are not as crucial. We need those 3 back and to find a playmaker at WR. If we do those things we will be in the hunt again next year. I don't see anyone in our division suddenly challenging us next year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also don't get rid of the QB the entire team except Crabs is behind. This entire season Harbs built a team that was truly a team. What message would telling the QB to take a hike send to the team? Play your best and you can still lose your job?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, so re-signing Alex is the lesser of the evils.

will have to disagree with 20 million for 4 years, unless he has a lot more in 'likely' incentives? he'll get something like Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract.

don't like overpaying Alex Smith, but don't like the other options even more.

if you're right and he gets fitzpatrick type money then I will officially lose faith in Baalke. The market will not dictate that we give Alex anything close to that type of money. Alex NEEDS to come back to the Niners more than we need him. And there isn't another team out there that will pay him 7-8 mill a year. You don't just give away money and cap space like that to be nice or to reward a guy...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Alex taking a dime less than $8 mill a year.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You also don't get rid of the QB the entire team except Crabs is behind. This entire season Harbs built a team that was truly a team. What message would telling the QB to take a hike send to the team? Play your best and you can still lose your job?

Giving Alex big money means we lose guys like Rogers, Brooks, and Goldson. They all had their best seasons too... what would the team think about that? If we completely overpay Alex and give him millions more than any other team would even consider and as a result we lose some of those guys on D, what will the team think about that????

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see Alex taking a dime less than $8 mill a year.

if the Niners don't give him 8, then who will? Would Alex go to that team for a couple million more?

Please answer these questions for me...I'm curious as to why you keep saying this stuff.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving Alex big money means we lose guys like Rogers, Brooks, and Goldson. They all had their best seasons too... what would the team think about that? If we completely overpay Alex and give him millions more than any other team would even consider and as a result we lose some of those guys on D, what will the team think about that????

Alex won't be overpaid, at most he'll be paid market value.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Niners don't give him 8, then who will? Would Alex go to that team for a couple million more?

Please answer these questions for me...I'm curious as to why you keep saying this stuff.

You don't think a team will pay him 8 mill when a team like Buffalo gave all that money to Fitzpatrick? Look how much the Cardinals paid for Kolb. Seattle showed interest in Alex last off-season.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what happens with Alex Smith and his contract in my opinion keeping the defense together comes first.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly dont think Smith is going to be looking for the big money. But clyde and some people are correct in saying that his agent will use Fitzpatrick contract/NFC championship as huge leverage. I can see Smith doing the team discount thing, i see no reason he would wanna go somewhere else. Also dont see any reason that they wont wanna bring him back.

Smith just had one of his best season here, if he was gonna be gone then last yr he would of been gone. Would be pretty weird just to leave now after we had our best success. Unless smith feels he proved he could get us to the playoffs and thats all he wanted to do. Harbaugh and the team have backed smith up all year, dont see anything changing.

NFL is a business so honestly we never know what could happen. Will be interesting to watch this offseason.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giving smith 7-8 mill a year is paying big money. :blabla: