• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex Smith last year was a turnover machine, and Harbaugh's coaching staff fixed that.
Alex was horrible last year under Singletary's coaching staff.

In the preseason, both Alex Smith and Kap looked bad. Alex Smith was hanging onto the ball too long and eating sacks, and Kap was forcing the ball under duress.

If Alex went from a turnover machine to a good ball manager, why can't Kap do that as well? If anything Kap has more upside and I think the coaching staff will get him to limit the turnovers as well. If Kap was the starter I'm sure they'd manage him as well, and then gradually loosen up and let him use his talent.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith last year was a turnover machine, and Harbaugh's coaching staff fixed that.
Alex was horrible last year under Singletary's coaching staff.

In the preseason, both Alex Smith and Kap looked bad. Alex Smith was hanging onto the ball too long and eating sacks, and Kap was forcing the ball under duress.

If Alex went from a turnover machine to a good ball manager, why can't Kap do that as well? If anything Kap has more upside and I think the coaching staff will get him to limit the turnovers as well. If Kap was the starter I'm sure they'd manage him as well, and then gradually loosen up and let him use his talent.

Seriously dude? Starting on 10/10 against Philly last year Smith threw 11 TDs and 3 INTs. He was not a turnover machine by any stretch when Harbaugh took over. You must not follow the team very closely if you don't know that.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seriously x2

Stop reinventing the past. Jesus Christ. We can google his stats in 3 seconds and can remember the 3 INTs that bounced off Crabtrees hands in 2010. Was avg at limiting INTs in '10 and the best in the NFL in '11.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What about his fumbles?

Ok so Alex wasn't the worst at hanging onto the ball but he wasn't the best either.
And for the 2010 year, the thing that sticks in my mind is the botched plays or turnovers when the game is on the line.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about the fumbles? they were before the eagles game. were u in a cave?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about his fumbles?

Ok so Alex wasn't the worst at hanging onto the ball but he wasn't the best either.
And for the 2010 year, the thing that sticks in my mind is the botched plays or turnovers when the game is on the line.

Sweet Jeebus. He had exactly 2 fumbles in the time frame mentioned above last season. You seriously don't know what you are talking about. 2005 was 7 years ago. Your memory is faulty he has been money when the game is on the line for a while now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's more a matter of how much cap space do we have, and prioritizing who we re-sign.

For example, do you want Goldson and Kaepernick, or a rookie free safety and Alex?

Maybe for Alex's money ($7M) you could sign Goldson ($4M) + Brooks ($3M).

Do you want Goldson and Brooks, or Alex?

I vote again for keeping the D together. Our D got us to where we were this year.

we've been watching POOR QB play since i can't remember when, now he's at the 'good' level and we think he's easily replaced?

is the previous six years weighing heavily in the thought process? after showing consistency the entire season and a play-off game, i'll take my chances he continues at this level for another two years......three if we need him that long? he didn't do THAT badly yesterday either, i know most agree cause the ranting is more on WR's.

i like solid D's, but couple that with poor QB play we're back to 6-10. without Goldson and Brooks - but with Alex Smith - we'll win 10+ games. don't like Alex Smith long term, but am defending his re-signing short. this is the lesser of the evils.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Baalke? And his agent came to me with that offer? Well, I'm not really a good negotiator, but I'd say that the 13 win season was as much of a team effort as it was Smith's measured improvement from well publicized bust to game manager. And my response to the Saints game would be to discuss his failure to reproduce the same heroics at the end of the Giants game where he got something like 3 tries to get a FG.

Maybe I'm that far removed from NFL salaries, but I honestly can't imagine that Smith's agents could argue for 9mil when he isn't the star of the offense, and doesn't put up huge stats. I mean, thats more than what Aaron Rodgers gets paid... not by much, maybe half a mil more, but still more. I know he's underpaid, and that is between Rodgers and his agent... but I'd feel stupid asking for more money than the future MVP with Smith's resume.

Of course the team's effort in total had more to do with our record than Smith. But that's not the way his agent will look at it. He'll list Smith's top-10 QB rating, his record, him beating Drew Brees in the playoffs, and Fitzpatrick's contract as his backbone argument.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he has 20 more turnovers?

That's ridiculous. 20 more turnovers would put Kap well above the #1 QB in turnovers - Ryan Fitzpatrick. Do you think that's even possible when we're averaging 28 attempts per game? The only team that passed LESS than us in the regular season was the Denver Broncos.

I can just as easily say what if he has 30 more TDs and be just as realistic as your comment.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seriously dude? Starting on 10/10 against Philly last year Smith threw 11 TDs and 3 INTs. He was not a turnover machine by any stretch when Harbaugh took over. You must not follow the team very closely if you don't know that.

IF true, his "consistency" goes even further back.

so play him now till someone surpasses him, if we have such good potential behind him, it shouldn't be long.

yes, we'll overpay meanwhile, but we'll also win the West.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith was pretty consistent all season, played consistently at a 'good' level. yes, its for the 49ers and not 'good' NFL wide, but we only care about the 49ers.

he's PROVEN he can lead this team to 10+ wins and a play-off win. don't see why he can't do it another 2-3 years? not going so far as saying he'll get us into the SB, but its a reasonable chance.

if we switch to CK now, we might go 7-9 next season, 8-8 the next......"rally killer". CK might not pass Alex Smith's consistancy for two years, he's a 2nd round pick for a reason and you're placing WAY too much faith in him.

agree Alex is a stop gap but at least a very good one. we're in a tough spot now at QB and IMO, he's the lesser of the evils. if CK is this good, he'll pass Alex Smith without us forcing it.

I'm guessing you're using the term "led" very loosely? I wouldn't say Alex led this team to 13-3. We're 31st in passing attempts, 29th in passing yards, and 19th in passing TDs. I think it's fair to say that our passing game took a backseat to our defense, running game, and maybe even special teams in "leading" us to a 13-3 record.

I might be placing too much faith in Kap, but I think you're not placing enough faith in Kap OR Harbaugh. Quite frankly, I don't see why Kap can't be a game-manager like Smith was this year. I don't see why he can't lead the 29th ranked passing attack. Yes, he'll committ more turnovers, but I think he'll make more plays and his potential outweighs that.

Look - there's no denying that Smith has improved. Let's give him his due credit. But let's not pretend that he did something special, or something that's hard to replicate. We're a team predicated on running the ball and playing stout defense - there's no reason to throw an arm and a leg at Smith when we're not even a passing team.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's ridiculous. 20 more turnovers would put Kap well above the #1 QB in turnovers - Ryan Fitzpatrick. Do you think that's even possible when we're averaging 28 attempts per game? The only team that passed LESS than us in the regular season was the Denver Broncos.

I can just as easily say what if he has 30 more TDs and be just as realistic as your comment.

Your hypothetical put Kaepernick in the top 6 for TDs by a QB.
It is too early for Kap IMO. Unfair to him and unfair to the fans if he can't get it done right away.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing you're using the term "led" very loosely? I wouldn't say Alex led this team to 13-3. We're 31st in passing attempts, 29th in passing yards, and 19th in passing TDs. I think it's fair to say that our passing game took a backseat to our defense, running game, and maybe even special teams in "leading" us to a 13-3 record.

I might be placing too much faith in Kap, but I think you're not placing enough faith in Kap OR Harbaugh. Quite frankly, I don't see why Kap can't be a game-manager like Smith was this year. I don't see why he can't lead the 29th ranked passing attack. Yes, he'll committ more turnovers, but I think he'll make more plays and his potential outweighs that.

Look - there's no denying that Smith has improved. Let's give him his due credit. But let's not pretend that he did something special, or something that's hard to replicate. We're a team predicated on running the ball and playing stout defense - there's no reason to throw an arm and a leg at Smith when we're not even a passing team.

the only times he was asked to perform was in the 4th when we were down and he came up with huge throws countless times. even with garbage wr's. vernon came up big in the playoffs but he was hit or miss all year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your hypothetical put Kaepernick in the top 6 for TDs by a QB.
It is too early for Kap IMO. Unfair to him and unfair to the fans if he can't get it done right away.

Not necessarily. 9 passing TDs and 6 rushing TDs. That would put him tied at 26 passing TDs with Mark Sanchez. Not unfathomable.

Why is it too early for Kap? If he can't manage the 29th passing attack then he shouldn't be in the NFL.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only times he was asked to perform was in the 4th when we were down and he came up with huge throws countless times. even with garbage wr's. vernon came up big in the playoffs but he was hit or miss all year.

And Kap will be asked to perform more? No. He'll be asked to be 31st in the league in passing attempts again.

Alex had a nice year by his standards, but let's stop acting like he's not replaceable.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not necessarily. 9 passing TDs and 6 rushing TDs. That would put him tied at 26 passing TDs with Mark Sanchez. Not unfathomable.

Why is it too early for Kap? If he can't manage the 29th passing attack then he shouldn't be in the NFL.

You're talking about 34 overall TDs, right? That would be the sixth most TDs by a QB.

I just don't know dude and if it doesn't work it is unforgivable and all good will from this year is forgotten.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about 34 overall TDs, right? That would be the sixth most TDs by a QB.

I just don't know dude and if it doesn't work it is unforgivable and all good will from this year is forgotten.

Yeah, 34 total. Again, not unfathomable considering his ability as a runner.

You said Kap isn't ready. Why isn't he ready? When will he be ready? How will we know if he's ready? When do we move on from Smith? Are we gonna wait year and year for his replacement in FA? Do we draft another QB in the first / early second range? How much guaranteed monies would you give Smith? How long of a contract? What happens if we give him his contract and he implodes, like Fitzpatrick, while leaving a potential franchise QB on the bench? Would that "unforgiveable"?

Last edited by a moderator:

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And Kap will be asked to perform more? No. He'll be asked to be 31st in the league in passing attempts again.

Alex had a nice year by his standards, but let's stop acting like he's not replaceable.

He might be replaceable but I am not sure that Kapernick is ready to do so and going 8-8 is not an option.

I really can't believe I feel this way but I do. Does this team win with a QB that turns it over as often as he scores TDs?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't even think of a team that would pay Alex Smith 20 million for 3 years. And let's just say for arguments sake that a team like the Browns come and offer Alex 25 mill for 3 years, I still think Alex would prefer to stay with the Niners and Harbaugh for 18 mill for 3 years. He has plenty of money, has a house in the Bay Area, a likely starting spot waiting for him, and there is little chance that Alex will choose to leave after the first successful year of his career. The year he finally had a coach that played to his strengths and gave him the foundation to succeed. It's one of the rare moments when the team has the leverage when negotiating with their starting QB...we better take advantage and not fall into the classic NFL trap where teams feel obligated to overpay for average QB talent (see Fitzpatrick, Ryan).