• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smiths future

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yup! One (or two) stupid plays from a Superbowl berth and people are talking backup QB to the rescue? Stupid.

Once upon a time there was this little phuck name Aaron Rodgers who was also a backup in this league. And he looked pitiful in his first couple of preseason starts too. It was stupid for the Packers to invest so much in a backup QB.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once upon a time there was this little phuck name Aaron Rodgers who was also a backup in this league. And he looked pitiful in his first couple of preseason starts too. It was stupid for the Packers to invest so much in a backup QB.

Way to make a post that has nothing to do with our current situation.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Haha. Always great logic.

throws money at a random IPO..."once upon a time there was this little company called Google"

Giants start policy of only taking pitchers under 6 ft tall...."once upon a time there was this little pitcher called Tim Lincecum"

We could do this for a while.....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want Smith back at the contract that I think his agent is gonna be asking for.

I'd like to see what Kap can do. Maybe Tolzien. Or Moore or Orton in FA.

so don't negotiate with Alex and THEN "see" what these others can do? what happens when we find out these guys aren't ready, or the FA's don't fit? once you go into the season (and next) with piss poor QB's, you're stuck all season(s).

i want a better QB than Alex Smith too, but its not like he's stinking up the joint. he's not elite but did prove he's good for the 49ers. don't want to "gamble" the next two seasons because Alex is 'good', but not 'elite'.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so don't negotiate with Alex and THEN "see" what these others can do? what happens when we find out these guys aren't ready, or the FA's don't fit? once you go into the season (and next) with piss poor QB's, you're stuck all season(s).

i want a better QB than Alex Smith too, but its not like he's stinking up the joint. he's not elite but did prove he's good for the 49ers. don't want to "gamble" the next two seasons because Alex is 'good', but not 'elite'.

Exactly.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't say Smith was stinking up the joint, and we can certainly do worse. But it's not like we had a passing game that was setting the world ablaze this year. We were 29th in the league. The Rams, Broncos, and Jags were the only teams worse than us in that department. Maybe I have more faith in Kaepernick than you and others do, but I do think we can be better than that with him in the lineup. Or at the very least replicate that production.

There's no question he'll probably make more mistakes than Smith. He's younger and much more inexperienced so that comes with the territory. But I also think he can make more plays. He has a monster arm and he'll be a threat to throw it deep ever play, making defenses think twice about stacking the box against our RBs. He's also more mobile and athletic than Smith and he'll make more plays that way.

Also, what kind of contract would you give Smith? He and his agent are likely gonna ask for a contract in the range of what Fitzpatrick got. Fitzpatrick got a 7 year, 62.195mil contract at 24mil guaranteed. That's an average of almost 9mil per year. Smith prolly won't ask for 7 years, but he'll want something in the range of 4-5 years for 35-45mil with 14-17.5mil guaranteed. Kap's contract averages 1.3mil per.

Is what Smith gives us over Kap worth that much more than what we're paying Kap?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May I remind everyone that Kap is 6-5, 233 lbs., that has an arm that was clocked at 59 miles per hour. That's faster than what Ryan Mallett was clocked in. He was the only QB in NCAA history to throw for 10,000+ and run for 4,000+ yards. His final year at Nevada he completed 65% of his passes and accounted for 41 TDs.

The guy has some talent.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Clyde, have you been watching practices?

Otherwise, what the fuck are you talking about? We have approximately zero clue what Kapernick can or can't do.

I wish Smith had a good game yesterday if, for nothing else, to keep you people quiet this offseason. The bad game has re-opened the floodgates and Smith is again replaceable by total question marks.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, have you been watching practices?

Otherwise, what the fuck are you talking about? We have approximately zero clue what Kapernick can or can't do.

I wish Smith had a good game yesterday if, for nothing else, to keep you people quiet this offseason. The bad game has re-opened the floodgates and Smith is again replaceable by total question marks.

Yes. I watch them every day! :hail:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say Smith was stinking up the joint, and we can certainly do worse. But it's not like we had a passing game that was setting the world ablaze this year. We were 29th in the league. The Rams, Broncos, and Jags were the only teams worse than us in that department. Maybe I have more faith in Kaepernick than you and others do, but I do think we can be better than that with him in the lineup. Or at the very least replicate that production.

There's no question he'll probably make more mistakes than Smith. He's younger and much more inexperienced so that comes with the territory. But I also think he can make more plays. He has a monster arm and he'll be a threat to throw it deep ever play, making defenses think twice about stacking the box against our RBs. He's also more mobile and athletic than Smith and he'll make more plays that way.

Also, what kind of contract would you give Smith? He and his agent are likely gonna ask for a contract in the range of what Fitzpatrick got. Fitzpatrick got a 7 year, 62.195mil contract at 24mil guaranteed. That's an average of almost 9mil per year. Smith prolly won't ask for 7 years, but he'll want something in the range of 4-5 years for 35-45mil with 14-17.5mil guaranteed. Kap's contract averages 1.3mil per.

Is what Smith gives us over Kap worth that much more than what we're paying Kap?[/QUOTE]

I think Alex definitely is worth that ($8-10mil) much more than what CK could give over the next 2 or 3 seasons. At his best with this offense I imagine CK could maybe throw for more yards and maybe even a few more TDs but would also probably turn the ball over at least 10 more times than Alex did this season. Our system is built around ball control, protecting the ball and relying on an exceptional D to keep a lead or keep it close. Throw in those 10 extra picks and fumbles and we take a huge step back. Add to that 6 4th Q comebacks from Alex that I wouldn't bet CK has in him (at least not yet) and that seals the deal for me.

$14-17.5 mil guaranteed is nothing imo, I like the stability Alex brings to the position. And if he flames out (unlikely) it's not much to get rid of him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
May I remind everyone that Kap is 6-5, 233 lbs., that has an arm that was clocked at 59 miles per hour. That's faster than what Ryan Mallett was clocked in. He was the only QB in NCAA history to throw for 10,000+ and run for 4,000+ yards. His final year at Nevada he completed 65% of his passes and accounted for 41 TDs.

The guy has some talent.

But Clyde, he looked terrible in preseason why should we give him a chance. Alex Smith will work his tail off during the offseason and will have a stronger arm and start to throw more accurate passes...

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is what Smith gives us over Kap worth that much more than what we're paying Kap?[/QUOTE]

I think Alex definitely is worth that ($8-10mil) much more than what CK could give over the next 2 or 3 seasons. At his best with this offense I imagine CK could maybe throw for more yards and maybe even a few more TDs but would also probably turn the ball over at least 10 more times than Alex did this season. Our system is built around ball control, protecting the ball and relying on an exceptional D to keep a lead or keep it close. Throw in those 10 extra picks and fumbles and we take a huge step back. Add to that 6 4th Q comebacks from Alex that I wouldn't bet CK has in him (at least not yet) and that seals the deal for me.

$14-17.5 mil guaranteed is nothing imo, I like the stability Alex brings to the position. And if he flames out (unlikely) it's not much to get rid of him.

I think Kap can throw for more yards and account for more total TDs. He'll also be a bigger threat running. The guy has Cam Newton talent.

Let's say Kap has 10 more turnovers than Smith had this year. Is that difference worth 15 more total TDs?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The guy has some talent.

CK had an excellent college career no doubt. Alex Smith accounted for 42 TDs with only 4 INTs while completing 67.5% his last year at Utah - equally as impressive and as far as passing perhaps even more so.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Smith did well enough this year that depending on the money he should come back.

Kap is not a long term solution. He frequently makes bad decisions and that isn't going to change. I think we need a late round or FA QB. I'm heavily biased but I think Moore can do the job.

The real issue is the problems on offense are not so much at the QB position. We need some good hands that can get separation.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Clyde, he looked terrible in preseason why should we give him a chance. Alex Smith will work his tail off during the offseason and will have a stronger arm and start to throw more accurate passes...

Stop Bingo! Alex Smith's 29th passing offense cannot be replicated next year if he's not back. And not only back, but back at 9mil per year. There's absolutely no way Kaepernick can lead this passing game to 29th in the league. With him, we're more like 31st.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK had an excellent college career no doubt. Alex Smith accounted for 42 TDs with only 4 INTs while completing 67.5% his last year at Utah - equally as impressive and as far as passing perhaps even more so.

CK played in the WAC, Smith in the MWC. Pretty significant difference especially at the bottom those years. WAC was and is atrocious.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Smith did well enough this year that depending on the money he should come back.

Kap is not a long term solution. He frequently makes bad decisions and that isn't going to change. I think we need a late round or FA QB. I'm heavily biased but I think Moore can do the job.

The real issue is the problems on offense are not so much at the QB position. We need some good hands that can get separation.

Why? Alex Smith changed under Harbaugh, why can't Kaepernick?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex Smith was extremly impressive at Utah. It's too bad we already know he's not that impressive in the NFL.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they can sign Alex for three years then I definitely think they should do it. If they don't and win less than 10 games next year with Kaepernick it will be a total disaster.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Alex Smith changed under Harbaugh, why can't Kaepernick?

Smith was a better decision maker in college so it was a matter of getting that back.

Kap is starting from a lower place.

I watched a lot of Kap in college, did you?

He isn't going to be a long term answer. We'll just agree to disagree.