• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HA ha! See that you don't make that mistake again. Criticism of Kaepernick is not allowed here and will be quickly shouted down.

Ive already had that and I havent even criticized the kid :) Just said maybe it wasnt the best move. LOL

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points on why a team shouldn't trade for him and should rather just wait for him to get cut. I guess I should be happy with any draft pick for him. One thing going for the Niners is that there aren't any notable UFA QBs in the offseason. Flacco, but he will most likely stay in BAL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers lost trade value the minute they chose Kaep over Smith with a 6-2 record before being replace... Being the starting QB through 2012 would have gotten them higher trade value.

thats true but when Harbaugh made that decision, trade value was WAY down on the list of factors, if it was on the list at all?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this is assuming Alex wont be playing QB for SF next year. Seems like a big jump especially when you look at how average CK has been the last 2 games. 2 more like them and the Niners may be right back to Smith. If Kaep plays well then I think you can trade Smith but you arent going to get shit for him, maybe a 6th rounder. When teams know the deal and know they can just wait it out they really have no incentive to trade for him unless they can get him super cheap.

Hilarious. If Kaep's game against the Saints was average, then Smith's entire stit with Harbaugh was average - at BEST.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to add some substance to this thread. I think these cover all of the options available to both the 49ers & Smith - if I have left something out please feel free to add it to the list.

Since the trading deadline has passed, (11/1/2012) Alex, as a vested vet, is now in the waiver period and is subject to the waiver rules and waiver priority list; which, effective on 9/24/2012 is assembled using this year's records and tiebreakers.

Thus here are the options and the rules governing those options:

Option #1: Restructure and keep Smith as our back-up - this can happen at any time.

Option #2: Announce and seek a trade for Smith - this cannot happen until the trading window opens after the season ends.

Option #3: Waive Smith now. Any team picking him up would inherit Smith's contract including the remaining balance owed for this year.

Option #4: Release Smith after the season but prior to his roster bonus date. This has the effect of wiping out his remaining contract thus making him an UFA.

Option #5: Keep Smith as the highest paid back-up in the NFL.

The best option for the 49ers is #1
The best option for Smith is pretty much any option that guarantees him a job in 2013 and beyond.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hilarious. If Kaep's game against the Saints was average, then Smith's entire stit with Harbaugh was average - at BEST.

Wrong. 18 of 19, 230 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs for example.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to add some substance to this thread. I think these cover all of the options available to both the 49ers & Smith - if I have left something out please feel free to add it to the list.

Since the trading deadline has passed, (11/1/2012) Alex, as a vested vet, is now in the waiver period and is subject to the waiver rules and waiver priority list; which, effective on 9/24/2012 is assembled using this year's records and tiebreakers.

Thus here are the options and the rules governing those options:

Option #1: Restructure and keep Smith as our back-up - this can happen at any time.

Option #2: Announce and seek a trade for Smith - this cannot happen until the trading window opens after the season ends.

Option #3: Waive Smith now. Any team picking him up would inherit Smith's contract including the remaining balance owed for this year.

Option #4: Release Smith after the season but prior to his roster bonus date. This has the effect of wiping out his remaining contract thus making him an UFA.

Option #5: Keep Smith as the highest paid back-up in the NFL.

The best option for the 49ers is #1
The best option for Smith is pretty much any option that guarantees him a job in 2013 and beyond.

Hey Bem, I'm starting to like Tolzein as the backup for next year. I think he has potential. Smith has gotten the shaft from the Niners and should just move on.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clyde CK was 16-25 for 231 with a TD and an INT, he led his team on 3 scoring drives in 4 quarters ( 17 points total). That is the dfininiton of average. I watched the entire game and he was OK. I didnt say a wrod about Smith but lets not pretend that Kaeps performance in the Saints game was great or even good. I may give you slightly above average but not much. His performance in the Rams game IMO wasnt really any worse than the Saints game( 21-32, 191 yards, 0 TD's, 1 turnover and 84 yards rushing, 3 scoring drives) he just made his turnover in a WAYYY worse spot and time. Both performances were very eh. You are more excited by the Saints game because you guys scored 2 defensive TDs and won that game. If you hadnt scored 2 DEFENSIVE TD's we'd be talking about how the move to Kaep looks terrible.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Bem, I'm starting to like Tolzein as the backup for next year. I think he has potential. Smith has gotten the shaft from the Niners and should just move on.

If Scott became our back-up next year I would be absolutely fine with that as well. I like Scott in that role and I think he is content in that role as well, which brings its own value and he is incredibly cheap for 2013.

I agree that keeping Smith would require an alignment of the heavens but he would be the perfect back-up for our system. If it works out great - if not, then to your point - time to break ties.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. 18 of 19, 230 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs for example.

Oh God, not this again. The Cardinals game was quite possibly the most overinflated stat-line I've ever seen. Over 60% of Alex's yards were YACs. One TD came off a 39-yard YAC by Moss in which he broke 3 tackles. The other was a blown coverage on an easy pass to Crabtree. Alex's longest target that game was from 19 freakin' yards.

What about 24/35, 204 yards (5.8 YPA), 1 TD 1 INT (52 QBR) against the Vikes? What about 12/21, 143 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs (46 QBR) against the Jets? What about the Giants game where he had a 24 QBR? Or against Seattle, where he had 35 QBR?

Kaepernick's lowest QBR so far is 72.3. Which would be 10th amongst Alex Smith's QBR rankings since Harbaugh has been here.

Give me a fucking break.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde CK was 16-25 for 231 with a TD and an INT, he led his team on 3 scoring drives in 4 quarters ( 17 points total). That is the dfininiton of average. I watched the entire game and he was OK. I didnt say a wrod about Smith but lets not pretend that Kaeps performance in the Saints game was great or even good. I may give you slightly above average but not much. His performance in the Rams game IMO wasnt really any worse than the Saints game( 21-32, 191 yards, 0 TD's, 1 turnover and 84 yards rushing, 3 scoring drives) he just made his turnover in a WAYYY worse spot and time. Both performances were very eh. You are more excited by the Saints game because you guys scored 2 defensive TDs and won that game. If you hadnt scored 2 DEFENSIVE TD's we'd be talking about how the move to Kaep looks terrible.

So we're faulting him for plays made by the defense, now? When we got the two pick sixes the fabric of the game changed. The game plan changed. We were no longer pushing down the field and were content with eating the clock out. In the 4th qtr, for example, Kaepernick led us on our longest drive in years (9+ minutes) to put the game on ice.

Sorry, but your argument is ludicrous.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three things:

1. We missed two field goals on otherwise successful drives by Kaep. 6 + 17 = 23.
2. We might have scored on the two drives, had the defense been tackled after the interceptions or if we got a punt, if not intercepted.
3. We ran the clock out with a notable 9-minute drive.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of Alex, as I lived in Utah when he played there, I followed him, and he joined my favorite team growing up. There's no one else currently playing that I would want to win a Superbowl or four with, if I could guarantee that. But I didn't like minimizing Alex and I don't like minimizin Kaep. We'll see over time how this thing goes. I can't call it a victory or loss yet. I just know potential, good and bad (big plays and mistakes).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Scott became our back-up next year I would be absolutely fine with that as well. I like Scott in that role and I think he is content in that role as well, which brings its own value and he is incredibly cheap for 2013.

I agree that keeping Smith would require an alignment of the heavens but he would be the perfect back-up for our system. If it works out great - if not, then to your point - time to break ties.

As a backup, I wonder if he will have lost that confidence and swagger he seemed to have gained when he became the acknowledged "leader" of the team. Might he go back to that same old guy who lacked confidence and always had that hang dog look on his face?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God, not this again. The Cardinals game was quite possibly the most overinflated stat-line I've ever seen. Over 60% of Alex's yards were YACs. One TD came off a 39-yard YAC by Moss in which he broke 3 tackles. The other was a blown coverage on an easy pass to Crabtree. Alex's longest target that game was from 19 freakin' yards.

What about 24/35, 204 yards (5.8 YPA), 1 TD 1 INT (52 QBR) against the Vikes? What about 12/21, 143 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs (46 QBR) against the Jets? What about the Giants game where he had a 24 QBR? Or against Seattle, where he had 35 QBR?

Kaepernick's lowest QBR so far is 72.3. Which would be 10th amongst Alex Smith's QBR rankings since Harbaugh has been here.

Give me a fucking break.

Would you not take that line from your quarterback any day of the week? I realize he has been shaky many more times than he has been good in his career but he has had his moments the last year and a half. He's fairly solid nowadays.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three things:

1. We missed two field goals on otherwise successful drives by Kaep. 6 + 17 = 23.
2. We might have scored on the two drives, had the defense been tackled after the interceptions or if we got a punt, if not intercepted.
3. We ran the clock out with a notable 9-minute drive.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of Alex, as I lived in Utah when he played there, I followed him, and he joined my favorite team growing up. There's no one else currently playing that I would want to win a Superbowl or four with, if I could guarantee that. But I didn't like minimizing Alex and I don't like minimizin Kaep. We'll see over time how this thing goes. I can't call it a victory or loss yet. I just know potential, good and bad (big plays and mistakes).

I would hardly call going from the 50 to the 34 a "successful drive". It was disgraceful the way they went into a shell and put it all on an injured kicker from 52 yards..

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a backup, I wonder if he will have lost that confidence and swagger he seemed to have gained when he became the acknowledged "leader" of the team. Might he go back to that same old guy who lacked confidence and always had that hang dog look on his face?

Haha - yeah, he is a fragile one.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hardly call going from the 50 to the 34 a "successful drive". It was disgraceful the way they went into a shell and put it all on an injured kicker from 52 yards..

I'm talking about the Saints game, not the Rams game. I think the numbers you gave me were from the St. Louis loss. But point's taken, as the two missed field goals in the Saints game were also not that successful (around 15-20 yards from the drives' starting points).

Ok, so scratch the "otherwise successful drives," but if we had made those two FGs in the Saints game, I doubt we'd have so many people saying "only 17 points!!!" 23 is more than the Saints scored total, so people couldn't be harping on how the Saints O scored 21 for NO and 14 for SF and Kaepernick only scored 17. People act like the score would definitively been 21-17 Saints - and that that would be Kaep's failure, not Akers two missed FGs (one was blocked, so I suppose that could be the blocker's problem if Akers wasn't abnormally low).

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give me a fucking break.

the yac was made possible by accurate passing. last year u and others were blasting smith for not giving wr's a chance to get yac.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team like the Jets, Cardinals, or Jags might a possibility. The Jets and Cardinals have strong Defenses and might be able to take our approach to winning with a strong Defense and doing just enough on Offense to win.

The Jets defense is terrible, from a statistical standpoint.

I'd be shocked if Smith gets traded. He has no trade value to an opposing GM. I'd also be shocked if he's a Niner on April 2nd.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the yac was made possible by accurate passing. last year u and others were blasting smith for not giving wr's a chance to get yac.

Nearly all of the YAC's were made possible by breaking tackles - not accurate passes. And those YAC's that were made because of accurate passes - well, considering the passes traveled all of three yards they damn well better have been accurate.