• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex smith wants to stay here with the 49ers

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SANTA CLARA – Quarterback Alex Smith, who is set to become a free agent this offseason, said Monday he "would love to stay" with the 49ers.

The 27-year-old Smith had his best year as a professional this season under first-year coach Jim Harbaugh, completing 61.3 percent of his passes for 3,144 yards and a 17-to-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio as the 49ers finished the regular season 13-3 and advanced to the NFC Championship Game.

Both Smith and the 49ers have expressed their desire to get a deal done. In the wake of the 49ers' conference title game loss to the New York Giants, Smith said he does not have a timetable for making progress on a new contract.

"Not in a crazy rush at this point as far as today, tomorrow," Smith said. "I think we'll kind of take our time a little bit. I think I have till March 13 or something, when the (current) contract's up. But I think sooner than later, no question."

Asked if he wants to test the free-agent market, Smith answered, "I'm not going to get into that.

"At this point, I love it here, love what's going on, love this team, the coaching staff, everything about it," he said. "No question, would love to stay here."

Harbaugh said bringing Smith back next season would be "important" for establishing continuity on the 49ers' offense, while indicating Smith still would be expected to fend off competition for the starting job.

"Everything is earned, everything is competed for, and that was the beauty of Alex Smith this past offseason," Harbaugh said. "We never said (the starting job was Smith's). … That's a position that's earned."

The team's 19 pending free agents include starting receiver Ted Ginn, safety Dashon Goldson, cornerback Carlos Rogers and guard Adam Snyder. Harbaugh declined Monday to discuss player personnel matters in depth, but he said the team would "compete (to re-sign) guys that played 16 games or were consummate team guys.

"The grass isn't always greener, and you know our players have built up a lot of equity here with me, with these coaches, with the organization," Harbaugh said.

Awards season – Defensive end Justin Smith won three team awards, including the Len Eshmont Award – the 49ers' most prestigious honor given to the player who best exemplifies "inspirational and courageous play."

Smith also won the Bill Walsh Award, given to the team's MVP as voted on by coaches, and the Matt Hazeltine Award for "courage and inspiration" on defense.

Cornerback prospect Cory Nelms, expected to compete for a roster spot next season, won the Thomas Herrion Award as an up-and-coming player.

Alex Smith won the Ed Block Courage Award.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fine, keep him.

Lets focus on getting some receivers...****REAL receivers.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cornerback prospect Cory Nelms, expected to compete for a roster spot next season, won the Thomas Herrion Award as an up-and-coming player.

I wonder how far along this Cory Nelms guy is and if he will impact the rogers signing??

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh said bringing Smith back next season would be "important" for establishing continuity on the 49ers' offense, while indicating Smith still would be expected to fend off competition for the starting job.

yep, after going thru so many offensive coordinators, EVERYONE knows continuity is big.