• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers at the Raiders

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this game is being given short shrift. The Raiders have benched their starting QB and have put C.Jones and others on IR. For all appearances, it looks like the Raiders are tanking, but the Niners should not take this win for granted.

It's a game the Niners should win easily, but fans of this team know better than to take that at face value.

Even though they're going with Stidham at QB, The Raiders still have Adams at WR, Jacobs at RB, and Waller at TE. So if teh defense isn't playing well, we could end up giving up big plays in the passing game. If you don't think that's possible, I point back to the Washington game where a backup QB sliced up the secondary when he had time to throw.

The Raiders are near the bottom of the league in pass defense, but are middle of the pack against teh run. The Niners might really have to pass more to open up the run, as I would expect the Raiders defense to stack up against the run early to see what we'll do and if we're willing to pass.

This looks like the "easiest" game Purdy will have had this season. It's a break from teams in, or fighting for, the playoffs. How will he react? Does he still run the offense every bit as well as Jimmy?

Well, What do we think?

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, this game is being given short shrift. The Raiders have benched their starting QB and have put C.Jones and others on IR. For all appearances, it looks like the Raiders are tanking, but the Niners should not take this win for granted.

It's a game the Niners should win easily, but fans of this team know better than to take that at face value.

Even though they're going with Stidham at QB, The Raiders still have Adams at WR, Jacobs at RB, and Waller at TE. So if teh defense isn't playing well, we could end up giving up big plays in the passing game. If you don't think that's possible, I point back to the Washington game where a backup QB sliced up the secondary when he had time to throw.

The Raiders are near the bottom of the league in pass defense, but are middle of the pack against teh run. The Niners might really have to pass more to open up the run, as I would expect the Raiders defense to stack up against the run early to see what we'll do and if we're willing to pass.

This looks like the "easiest" game Purdy will have had this season. It's a break from teams in, or fighting for, the playoffs. How will he react? Does he still run the offense every bit as well as Jimmy?

Well, What do we think?

Agree we should win unless we kill ourselves with turnovers and big penalties.

Also agree a very hot QB - any QB - can make this defense look 'pedestrian'. Had Tua been more accurate the outcome of that game would've been down to the wire. There were receivers getting open, similar to the KC game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agree we should win unless we kill ourselves with turnovers and big penalties.

Also agree a very hot QB - any QB - can make this defense look 'pedestrian'. Had Tua been more accurate the outcome of that game would've been down to the wire. There were receivers getting open, similar to the KC game. Not seeing it in this game so just saying as we head into the play-offs.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy was OK he got lucky on that pop up pass at the end of the game. Still played well again. Still doing things that Grop can't do while kinda being Grop. With Philly having to play backup and Niners having tie breaker on Minny, they could end up 1st seed. It would be great to get the Week off. :D:nod::thumb::yes::juggle::bounce:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow, a 'hot' QB did beat us......almost Ok, it was more than Stidham but still, this defense was lit up. As some analyst already noted, this close game is now a good thing because the team is back to being focused. It is now a good thing only because we won. :-)

Also want to note IMO we got some zebra calls today. Its easy to complain when we're on the short end of bad calls/non-calls; but felt we got the good end in this game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Purdy was OK he got lucky on that pop up pass at the end of the game. Still played well again. Still doing things that Grop can't do while kinda being Grop. With Philly having to play backup and Niners having tie breaker on Minny, they could end up 1st seed. It would be great to get the Week off. :D:nod::thumb::yes::juggle::bounce:

Why does it seems like this is Purdy's floor? IF it is, that's still good enough minus the INT of course. He almost gave up another INT earlier in the game.

What i like the most about what he does that Grop doesn't.......is escape rushers. Even when he escapes and throws it OB, that beats a sack any day.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a very close game. It should not have been if the defense actually showed up to play.

Purdy had a bad game imo. He was 22 of 35 for 284yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT. In his favor, he suffered from a lot of drops. BA dropped 2, Kittle dropped 1, Jennings dropped 1, CMC dropped 1. Against him, He missed several throws to open receivers. Passes were either too underthrown or were thrown to the wrong shoulder. Or they were late.
--Still, he was able to escape the pass rush a couple of times. Nice to see on this team. Not something you see Jimmy doing.

CMC ran 19 times for 121 and a TD. He caught 6 passes for 72yds. He was a machine agaisnt the Raiders. Both running and receiving.
--Mason only had 2 carries for 13yds and a TD. I am continually amazed that he doesn't get any more carries when he does so well when he gets a few carries.

BA had a huge day, but he was up and down. He dropped 2 passes, but he still had 9 catches for 101yds, 1 TDs. He dropped 2 other balls that hit him in both hands. He drew a DPI call as well. He was clutch late in teh game.
--JJ was 2 catches for 46 yds. Both catches went for first downs.
--RayRay had 1 catch for 42yds, and he was all alone for an open TD but Purdy didn't see him.
--Kittle had 4 catches for 23yds and a TD, but he had a bad dropped pass and failed to either catch a deep ball or stop the defender from catching it which turned into an INT.

The OLine was up and down. Brooks went down with an MCL injury and Brunskill filled in and did pretty well. McGlinchey faced Crosby most of the night and he did surprisingly well. I was amazed at how well the rest of the Oline played for the most part.
--TW was called for 2 penalties and was beat 3 times in this game. Was he mailling it in?

The defense did not show up to play at all.

One of the first plays of the game, was Hufanga giving up his usual blown coverage per game for a TD. Playoff teams can't wait to play against Hufanga b/c he has consistently given up a deep TD or big catch per game for teh last few months. I am amazed that he made the PB. Greenlaw was robbed, but Hufanga got a gift ticket.
--If it was the OC for a playoff team, I'd throw the ball jsut about every down. And I'd mostly throw it to whoever Lenoire is covering. Lenoire was torched in this game the entire game. Even when he was in good position, he couldn't play the ball well. Honestly, I think a team like the Eagles will destroy us through the air.

The DLine was gashed a lot in this game. They gave yup more than 100yds ont eh ground and got zero sacks.
--Bosa made the play of the game by pushing the LT into the QB's lap to force the game winning INT.

Warner was called for DPI in the EZ and he led the team in tackles. Greenlaw left the game with back issues and didn't return. Burks came in for Greenlaw and did surprisingly well. That bodes well in case Greenlaw misses a playoff game.

We were lucky to win this game. Plain and simple. A backup QB sliced the defense into pieces and seemed almost helpless to get a stop.

B/c the Vikings lost and teh Niners won, we are now the #2 seed. Meaning at present, we play either the Packers, Lions, or Seahawks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While Purdy took a step down yesterday, for me it wasn't a bad game. Yes, really like his ability to escape the rush and avoid sacks.

Hufanga isn't playing like the beginning of the season, to me he's giving up more now than what we gain. I'd be ok if they rotate him with Jimmie Ward and/or Gipson. Not bench him entirely but rotate him out, especially on passing downs.

When the opposing QB escapes the pocket and runs, thats hard to scheme against? If you try to stop that escape, then either your rush or underneath coverage is weakened. Maybe mix it up with an occassional spy when the front 4 is in all out rush? No spy if one of the front 4 isn't rushing hard?

Yes, we were lucky to win this game, one of those Sundays where the QB is 'hot' and backed by DA. Its easy to pick on Lenoir but covering DA and a tall Waller, isn't easy for anyone.

I'll take the #2 if we can hold it but we might get Aaron Rodgers in return. Ugh?! I know recent history shows we've managed him, but he still has the ability to throw downfield.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he had some questionable plays, Purdy made several plays when the game was on the line and "won" it probably twice before the final FG in OT. Lot to be hopeful about. He's minimally a slight upgrade over JG... probably more than that. Hopefully that game gives something for the defense to focus on.

PS - that wasn't a catch

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While he had some questionable plays, Purdy made several plays when the game was on the line and "won" it probably twice before the final FG in OT. Lot to be hopeful about. He's minimally a slight upgrade over JG... probably more than that. Hopefully that game gives something for the defense to focus on.

PS - that wasn't a catch
haaa, no it wasn't a catch, but no good TV angle to overturn it.

IMO Purdy is clearly more than a "minimally" upgrade over JG. His ability to escape sacks is amazing, even if he ends up throwing it away. Next, he doesn't hesitate to throw it outside the numbers or beyond 10 yards, if the route is there. This means opposing secondaries can't lean on the passes being mainly thrown inside.

Since Purdy doesn't have a long track record, the only thing i'd give to JG is his consistency. While JG isn't a top NFL QB, we know what we'll get out of him each game. In the case of Purdy, he may or may not be like Mac Jones next season? Last year I would've bet against Jones getting worse but chit happens!

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haaa, no it wasn't a catch, but no good TV angle to overturn it.

IMO Purdy is clearly more than a "minimally" upgrade over JG. His ability to escape sacks is amazing, even if he ends up throwing it away. Next, he doesn't hesitate to throw it outside the numbers or beyond 10 yards, if the route is there. This means opposing secondaries can't lean on the passes being mainly thrown inside.

Since Purdy doesn't have a long track record, the only thing i'd give to JG is his consistency. While JG isn't a top NFL QB, we know what we'll get out of him each game. In the case of Purdy, he may or may not be like Mac Jones next season? Last year I would've bet against Jones getting worse but chit happens!
Totally... I'm trying not to get overly excited, but anyone who has watched this team closely the last five years should come to the same conclusion! Mac Jones has been the victim of HUGE mismanagement on Belicheck's part, imo. He could have grown, but that play-calling and their talent is very suspect.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PS - that wasn't a catch
Purdy definitely made some clutch throws in this game. It's something to see him sling out a 15-20yd pass on 3rd and long, and as @deep9er pointed out, he has been very good at eluding the rush.

Purdy has been "the best of Jimmy" plus a little more (elusive, throwing on the run). And he's still just a rookie. Imagine how much better he can be with an offseason as the starter rather than the #3! Better timing, better understanding of defenses, better ball placement, learning from his mistakes. I don't buy the idea that what we've seen so far is Purdy's ceiling.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting insights about the offense, Purdy, and Shanny's playcalling: