• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith MVP?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He's exactly what they need for the type of the football they can get away with playing. I'm sure they'd like to see Bowe get involved and be more of a down field passing team. I'm sure Reid would like to do things more like he did in Philly.

But Alex Smith gives them the opportunity to be a very good team by not turning the ball over.

Completely disagree. I think they would take 6 - 0 and mistake free football over getting Bowe involved and being more of a down field passing team, any sane team would. Reid also doesn't have the speed that he had in Philly as anyone who has watched Bowe play can tell you that he isn't the greatest deep threat in the league, he is great with YAC but he's not a burner by any means. There is a reason why the speedsters Avery and McCluster are much more involved in the passing game than Bowe. He isn't a great fit for that offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex is who we all thought he was recently.

He's a solid qb that won't turn the ball over and rides on a feat defense. Most teams would like to have him. But no not MVP worthy.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I support Alex but he's not an MVP candidate. That Chiefs team was good last year. Don't tell me about their record because it's no different than the Colts, losing to get Luck. He makes them better but he's no MVP. He's doing what he does, game manage.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Brady would get serious consideration. Could you imagine that cast without him? They would probably be winless.

original.gif

I think Manning won it week 1, and every week since he has just done more to secure it. Those voters debated him in 2011 just because the Colts sucked without him. They wanted to give it to him last year just because he was back and still pretty good, but then they realized that what AP did was much more impressive. There is nothing in Peyton's way this year.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
original.gif

I think Manning won it week 1, and every week since he has just done more to secure it. Those voters debated him in 2011 just because the Colts sucked without him. They wanted to give it to him last year just because he was back and still pretty good, but then they realized that what AP did was much more impressive. There is nothing in Peyton's way this year.

They want to give it to him every year. This year he deserves it. He's been amazing.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Smith's teammate, Jamaal Charles, as a possible MVP award winner. Though, Peyton Manning, Brees, or Brady will probably win it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Completely disagree. I think they would take 6 - 0 and mistake free football over getting Bowe involved and being more of a down field passing team, any sane team would. Reid also doesn't have the speed that he had in Philly as anyone who has watched Bowe play can tell you that he isn't the greatest deep threat in the league, he is great with YAC but he's not a burner by any means. There is a reason why the speedsters Avery and McCluster are much more involved in the passing game than Bowe. He isn't a great fit for that offense.

Why does getting the hot shot WR involved and stretching the field mean they can't be 6-0? Denver is 6-0. You don't think KC would be 6-0 if they had Peyton Manning? Would they be 6-0 with Brady? Brees? Rodgers?

If you think Andy Reid is running the offense he wants to run, you're crazy. He's running the offense he can run with the tools he has available to him.

I don't see how their willingness to take 6-0 means they're the team they want to be. I bet there are a lot of things Reid would like to do differently, and if you could get him in an off the record, candid conversation he would tell you about them. But he's not going to tell the media. Just like Harbaugh said Smith was playing at a Pro Bowl level in 2011.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex Smith is MVP then TP2 is Steve Young.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you even watching the games? The Chiefs D(and their schedule) gets all the credit for being 6-0. Alex just happens to be the QB.

Here are the points scored against the Chiefs in the 6 games: 2, 16, 16, 7, 17, 7. The only game that the Chiefs D/ST DIDN'T score a TD is week 2. Alex gets credit for not turning the ball over but that's it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Payton has that locked up.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex should be in the talks just because of the wins. I think he should finish in the Top 5 if KC goes 14-2 or 13-3. Its shows that KC really needed a QB and a Coach. As of right now Reid is COTY

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex should be in the talks just because of the wins. I think he should finish in the Top 5 if KC goes 14-2 or 13-3. Its shows that KC really needed a QB and a Coach. As of right now Reid is COTY

How is that situation any different than the 2011 49ers? Where did Alex finish in the MVP voting that year? I can't remember.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference KC had 2 wins last year also this year there is only 1 player on the Top of the MVP and that is Manning. Others are Brady and Brees. Who else would you put in the top 5. Alex Smith would be in my top 5 right now.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference KC had 2 wins last year also this year there is only 1 player on the Top of the MVP and that is Manning. Others are Brady and Brees. Who else would you put in the top 5. Alex Smith would be in my top 5 right now.

How the hell do you have Alex over Jamaal Charles??

Top 5 MVP: Manning, Brees, Jimmy Graham, Charles, McCoy.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know that they deserve to be in the top five of the league but I would put Vernon Davis and Frank Gore above Alex Smith. 49ers lose either of those guys and their offense goes even further down the toilet. The Chiefs are a talented team and so far the defense is basically giving up like 15 points a game and scoring a TD on their own. I think most backup QBs in this league should be capable of winning a game if all they need to do is score 9 points.

Good for Alex game managing his way to 6-0 and I think it's great that he doesn't turn the ball over but I think their passing offense is probably their biggest weakness. No way is he deserving of MVP consideration.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell do you have Alex over Jamaal Charles??

Top 5 MVP: Manning, Brees, Jimmy Graham, Charles, McCoy.

disagree with that top 5. its all good. A lot of season left. Im not saying he will be there at the end but right now KC is 6-0 and Smith is a big reason why.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith haters not giving him credit just like he was in SF. The guy wins games. He is a good QB and knows how to win now.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith haters not giving him credit just like he was in SF. The guy wins games. He is a good QB and knows how to win now.

People would be more agreeable if certain parties would stop saying he is elite or an MVP. I think everyone here would agree that if they had a great defense, with a good running attack, and top special teams that they wouldn't mind having Alex Smith as QB to help the team win 10+ games. We all know he can do that job and do it well.

Taking that job and saying it is MVP level is absurd. Smith wins games by not making mistakes and capitalizing on the strengths of his teammates and the mistakes of opponents. Guys like Peyton, Brady, and Brees are the face of a franchise and the most visible guy on the field because even when everyone else sucks they can still manage to pull out a win for their team on occasion. Put Alex on bad teams and you get what we had from 2005-2010. He is great at what he did for the 49ers the last two years and what he is doing in KC, but that is where it ends.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm one of the bigger Smith supporters around and I don't think he's in the top-25, or probably even top-50, in the MVP vote. They won despite him yesterday. He's played well enough, and has had a few good games, but anyone acting like he's the driving force behind KC's improvement shows that they're not only not watching the games, they're not even looking at the numbers. He's helped, and I agree that his strengths are not widely appreciated by the general football public, but he's just not been that great this year.