• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ALDS: New York Yankees vs Cleveland Guardians

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe some of the money they can make on a playoff run this year (and hopefully next year too), plus the new minority owner that will likely one day become the majority owner- they can sign Bieber and have Bieber and Jose as the bedrocks of the next 5-7 years. That is what I hope happens if I am thinking with my heart. If I am thinking with my head--- with the Guardians finances- its hard to give a pitcher a huge long term deal with how often they are hurt and with Bieber being injured last year and never recovering his velocity totally this year.

Obviously Bieber is still one of the best pitchers in baseball- and maybe he gets an uptick in velocity next year a year removed from his injury- but itll be interesting to see which way it goes considering the Guardians have a lot of high-end pitching in the minors- including- Espino- who when healthy (a key IF with any pitcher obviously) is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball- and Williams, Bibee and Morris all look to be good enough to be at least #3 guys or better.

the good thing about Espino is that his injury was not to his arm- it was to his knee---- while obviously not ideal- I would rather a pitcher have an injured knee than shoulder.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOt that this has anything really to do with the current series- in Keith Law's August update to his top prospects list (top 60) he had the following Guardians and Yankees:

#9- Anthony Volpe- Yankee SS- he has been their crown jewel of the minors for a while- they could of had Castillo if they parted with him but refused. Looks to be the heir apparent at SS for a long time. Probable future star.

#20- George Valera- Guardian OF- outfielder with power and patience. Future middle of the order hitter that the Guardians need. Great fit with Kwan, Gonzalez and Straw.

#21- Brayan Rocchio- Guardian SS- looks like a Lindor clone in many ways. Nicknamed "the Professor" for his baseball IQ. switch hitter. Personally- the prospect out of all the ones that have come up- and all the ones to come- that I think will be the best player. I would not trade him.

#24- Daniel Espino- Guardian SP- would be much higher Law says if not for his knee injury which prevented him from pitching almost the entire year. Can't miss stuff if he is healthy.

#37- Gavin Williams- Guardian SP- college pitcher- big, durable- can hit 98. Does not have the ceiling of Espino- but less risk. I think he could get to a McKenzie like level with a couple years of experience.

#48- Tanner Bibee- Guardian SP- another Guardian college pitcher they took and helped his velocity rise. From California, does not walk anyone, and the Guardians have helped his stuff get better since being drafted- sound like anyone in the current Guardian rotation?

MLB.com had:

Volpe #5 overall

Espino #15

Valera #31

Jason Dominguez- Yankee OF- #39

Oswald Peraza- (on the team right now)- Yankee SS- #50

Williams- #53

Rocchio #69

Bo Naylor- younger brother of Josh Naylor- catcher- Guardians- #75

Austin Wells- Yankee Catcher- #82

Bibeee- #99

Guys like Jones, Freeman, Arias all graduated for the Guardians i think- though not sure- all were top 100 at MLB.com at some point this year.- though none have significant at bats- I dont think any have lost rookie eligiblity.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being in New York, Cole starting, and Quintrell facing him- I think the Yanks are well deserved favorites in Game 1 and they will likely win.

I do think that Will Brennan might have a sneaky good game for the Guardians. Only had 42 at bats in his big league career after just getting called up- but hes a lefty that hits righties very well. If he does not get overwhelmed by the moment I can see him playing well tomorrow (erg- today).

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Giants fan I can confirm that having the best team isn't a requirement to win in the playoffs
Since the playoffs have continued to expand I'd say the best team only wins about 25-30% of the time. Somewhere in that abomination of a stadium in Miami there are 2 World Series trophies and they've still never even been the best team in their own division.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't playing. He's been struggling all year with injuries so they're going with Donaldson at 3rd. How the hell is Peraza not on the roster? He should be starting at short.

1665501923803.png
1665501955912.png

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugggg

Can they both lose?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Effros just announced out for the series.

still did not get Chapman on the roster. Yanks will be depending on Peralta, and Holmes a lot who are just getting back from injury- and Loisaga, and Trevino. Trevino has pitched very well for them though.

if the Guardians can keep these games close in the later innings (admittedly a big "if")- they should have a fairly substantial bullpen advantage even with Sandlin going down.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Effros just announced out for the series.

still did not get Chapman on the roster. Yanks will be depending on Peralta, and Holmes a lot who are just getting back from injury- and Loisaga, and Trevino. Trevino has pitched very well for them though.

if the Guardians can keep these games close in the later innings (admittedly a big "if")- they should have a fairly substantial bullpen advantage even with Sandlin going down.
I'm not sure what they're going to get out of Holmes at this point. I can see them using Loisaga a lot. In his last 10 appearances he's pitched 11 innings, gave up 11 hits, 3 earned runs, 11 hits, 3 walks and 5 K's. 2 of the runs were in the same game.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weather in NY looks awful for Thursday. That game might not happen. Nice job having a day off after game one.

1665514323148.png

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weather in NY looks awful for Thursday. That game might not happen. Nice job having a day off after game one.

View attachment 311045
I will take it---- depending how it goes- and how deep the series goes- maybe Bieber gets a 2nd start.

I would think they would have to wait and play the game in NY so it stays 2-2-1......itll be interesting. Aren't they off Friday too? can just move it to Friday I would think.