• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Albert Breer on Harbaugh

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good crop of QB's? i LIKE it!

The next crop of quarterbacks
I've searched for a while now. And if there's a dissenting voice in the football scouting community on Stanford junior Andrew Luck, I have yet to find it.

"He's really, really good," one NFC personnel executive, a veteran of a couple decades in the league, told me the other night. "He's the best quarterback I've ever done (a report on). The best I've ever seen coming out of college. He's the whole package -- born for the position with size, athleticism and arm strength. He's humble, a leader, respected. The whole package."

Brooks: College stock watch
Each week, NFL.com draft expert Bucky Brooks shares his notes and observations on how potential prospects fared. Find out who helped their stock. More ... When I pressed for a comparison, he said the best one is probably another Stanford quarterback, John Elway. And these feelings are pretty much universal. On the conservative end, Luck can be called the safest prospect at the position since Peyton Manning. "Unbelievable," one GM said.

But here's the really interesting thing -- the strength of the current crop of college quarterbacks doesn't end there.

Who's No. 2? Well, one scout texted me last night that Oklahoma's "Landry Jones is the real deal. ... Even with the two picks against Florida State. Only one was his fault. Big pocket passer with a good arm, super accuracy, poise and instincts. Luck is still the guy. But this kid is as a good as (fellow Sooner Sam) Bradford was coming out, for sure."

The NFC personnel executive was more harsh on Jones, while allowing that he will be a first-rounder, saying he personally doesn't see the OU QB as one. His feeling is that USC junior Matt Barkley, who started as a true freshman, is next in line. "He's special," the exec said.

All three of those quarterbacks, with strong years, could land in the Top 10, and our exec said that there's a possibility, depending on how the season shakes out, that seven signal-callers could go in Round 1. Before it's over, Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill, Oklahoma State's Brandon Weedon, Michigan State's Kirk Cousins, Baylor's Robert Griffin and Arizona's Nick Foles have a chance to get there.

A lot can happen between now and April, of course, but it looks like teams that waited and resisted reaching in 2011 -- a class of quarterbacks some NFL folks considered the most "overdrafted" group ever -- could be rewarded in 2012.

There's already concern out there that Luck and his dad, ex-NFL quarterback Oliver Luck, could try and steer the kid to a good situation. That could lead to trade demands, similar to what happened in 2004 with Archie and Eli Manning, because, as our exec put it, "I guarantee you, if he stays healthy, 100 percent he'll be No. 1." And that means, if you can take Luck, you trade his rights.

But even if a circumstance like that arises for the team drafting first, or a team coveting Luck misses out on having the first pick, it looks like quarterback-needy clubs will have plenty more to choose from.

wouldn't think we over-reached with CK cause we waited till round 2? but then again, maybe we did reach just not as much as others?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
andrew luck, 2012 49ers starting qb

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
andrew luck, 2012 49ers starting qb

don't see us getting the #1 pick.

according to the article above, whomever gets it WILL take Luck and hard to argue. it does opine Indy would trade it but for a king's ransom. only teams in the top 5 will have enough 'ransom' to make an offer.

btw - did Peyton just sign an extension? cause if not, i'd draft Luck.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

according to the article above, whomever gets it WILL take Luck and hard to argue. it does opine Indy would trade it but for a king's ransom. only teams in the top 5 will have enough 'ransom' to make an offer.

If Indy gets the first overall pick I'll commit suicide. It was hard enough seeing Bill Polian ride Manning's jock to the playoffs every year the last decade, only to hit what would be another jackpot with Andrew Luck. Argh...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone brought it up in the Manning done for the Season thread, and apparently the Colts can opt out of his extension if he's incapable of ever playing again. Incidentally, with the rookie signing cap and how much they are struggling without Manning, they'd be crazy not to pick up Luck even if Manning comes back.

How fucked up would that be though? Bill Polian falls asleep at the wheel and ends up getting Luck after Manning. (Going with the assumption that Luck actually is a can't miss prospect who tears up the NFL)

Ha, clyde beat me to the thought...

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Someone brought it up in the Manning done for the Season thread, and apparently the Colts can opt out of his extension if he's incapable of ever playing again. Incidentally, with the rookie signing cap and how much they are struggling without Manning, they'd be crazy not to pick up Luck even if Manning comes back.

How fucked up would that be though? Bill Polian falls asleep at the wheel and ends up getting Luck after Manning. (Going with the assumption that Luck actually is a can't miss prospect who tears up the NFL)

Too-Shay!!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Polian does get Luck, maybe we should tell that Philly reporter that Polian also called him a hack.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good crop of QB's? i LIKE it!

There's already concern out there that Luck and his dad, ex-NFL quarterback Oliver Luck, could try and steer the kid to a good situation. That could lead to trade demands, similar to what happened in 2004 with Archie and Eli Manning, because, as our exec put it, "I guarantee you, if he stays healthy, 100 percent he'll be No. 1." And that means, if you can take Luck, you trade his rights.

But even if a circumstance like that arises for the team drafting first, or a team coveting Luck misses out on having the first pick, it looks like quarterback-needy clubs will have plenty more to choose from.[/I]

wouldn't think we over-reached with CK cause we waited till round 2? but then again, maybe we did reach just not as much as others?

I thought about that as well with Luck's Dad being a big part of the picture. I doubt they would go to the extreme that Eli and Archie did, but at least we know it probably wouldn't be against the opportunity to play for the 49ers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm hoping Tennessee, Jacksonville or Carolina get the first pick, 'cause they'd probably be willing to trade it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm hoping Tennessee, Jacksonville or Carolina get the first pick, 'cause they'd probably be willing to trade it.

i'd bet against that.

but even if they did trade, unless we're top 5 we won't have the ammo. how many are willing to give up two 1st, two 2nd, and 4th in 2014? ok, i'm making it up but point is........who has the guts to give away multiple top picks?

next, with so many quality QB's in the draft, would it make sense to trade away future drafts?

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hit'em up for some lotto numbers...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd bet against that.

but even if they did trade, unless we're top 5 we won't have the ammo. how many are willing to give up two 1st, two 2nd, and 4th in 2014? ok, i'm making it up but point is........who has the guts to give away multiple top picks?

next, with so many quality QB's in the draft, would it make sense to trade away future drafts?

I might not do that trade, but I see how we'd be the best to benefit from it since he's Harbaugh's guy, whereas everyone else desperate for a QB have to teach him the offense and get used to how he is coached best. No matter how good he is, you want to be able to coach him best. I know our NFL offense is different than Stanford football, but the basics are there and while Luck may have intangibles and be able to learn quickly, there would be no offense quicker to learn than ours. But we have to look at the overall team vs. one player. If you're that bad, it's worth tanking more than trading. But we're not that bad and Harbaugh is like a cook with many pots running - he wants his current pot to learn how to win and play as a team. He can't turn off that burner to get Luck and assume that the team will heat up just the same.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about the NFL lottery where the worst get the highest pick vs. the NBA where you get the best chance at the first pick but are not guaranteed? If you could modify the draft at all, would you? If you were to adopt the NBA format, how many teams would be in the running? I kinda feel that you should be blocked from winning if the rest veto it, just kidding.

I don't think that everyone who gets the first pick tanks and I find it pretty hard to believe that those with huge incentives in their contract are going to forego those to get a better pick, expecially if that pick may replace them. When players can get injured so quickly, it doesn't appear they would give up incentives even if they drank the draft koolaid and got a better team later to get bigger incentives (though I believe motivation is hard for some).

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 4th in a heartbeat for Luck, no questions asked. To have a TRUE franchise QB that would be able to take over the reigns within a season and potentially carry a franchise is rare and given our current QB status, it's a no-brainer to me. Maybe some of you think it is too much to give up for one player, but this is a QB driven league and we currently don't have one that can carry us deep into the playoffs.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would trade two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 4th in a heartbeat for Luck, no questions asked. To have a TRUE franchise QB that would be able to take over the reigns within a season and potentially carry a franchise is rare and given our current QB status, it's a no-brainer to me. Maybe some of you think it is too much to give up for one player, but this is a QB driven league and we currently don't have one that can carry us deep into the playoffs.

I'd do that in a hearbeat. We'd screw those picks up anyway lol.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

like the article says, luck might pull strings on draft day

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about the NFL lottery where the worst get the highest pick vs. the NBA where you get the best chance at the first pick but are not guaranteed? If you could modify the draft at all, would you? If you were to adopt the NBA format, how many teams would be in the running? I kinda feel that you should be blocked from winning if the rest veto it, just kidding.

I don't think that everyone who gets the first pick tanks and I find it pretty hard to believe that those with huge incentives in their contract are going to forego those to get a better pick, expecially if that pick may replace them. When players can get injured so quickly, it doesn't appear they would give up incentives even if they drank the draft koolaid and got a better team later to get bigger incentives (though I believe motivation is hard for some).

The purpose of the lottery is to negate any sandbagging/tanking teams with the security of the #1 selection. But i just don't know if i would agree with it being in the NFL. There might be a team with a 9-7 record or 10-6 record(like Tampa) that wins the selection which would screw with the teams who are in dire need of it.

I wouldn't vote for that. If a team desires a top prospect so much, I feel a NFL team has more ammo to use as far as trades and such vs in the NBA if that makes sense.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That team with the #1 spot would need to be willing to even make that trade. Chances are, whichever team ends up with the #1 pick is going to need a QB too. I bet the Colts got offers like that back in 1998, and they were like... yeah sure, go kick rocks sucka.