• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone explain the Joey Gallo move? Did the Yankees really need another big, slow, stiff that strikes out a zillion times? Rizzo made a ton of sense, for sure, but Gallo? And they gave up some good prospects for him, too.

Why did they keep voight at deadline when they could have made up for all they gave to Texas? If that’s even a possibility

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barnes left off ALDS roster. . . . at least he got his big extension.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did lead the league in walks and he's a good defensive outfielder. He's also under control for another season.

They needed the lefty bat desperately, and the best prospect in the haul got absolutely torched over 6 starts with Texas.

I didn't realize until I saw Gallo everyday that the dude's wound a bit tight. Nervous tics out the yazoo. Reminds me of Jim Eisenreich.
I haven’t seen much of Gallo, and I know he plays good D, but adding the league leader in K’s to a lineup that already includes the likes of Stanton, Judge and Sanchez is a head-scratcher for me. He’ll probably hit 40HR’s next year while batting .190 and striking out 200 times. Not sure how you value that.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barnes left off ALDS roster. . . . at least he got his big extension.
Wow. Talk about losing it. He was an all-star closer in the first half. So many of these relievers run hot and cold. Barnes is no different. He’s just ice cold at the wrong time.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t seen much of Gallo, and I know he plays good D, but adding the league leader in K’s to a lineup that already includes the likes of Stanton, Judge and Sanchez is a head-scratcher for me. He’ll probably hit 40HR’s next year while batting .190 and striking out 200 times. Not sure how you value that.

I value him as a good defensive OF who will post an .800+ OPS. He'll also be among the league leaders in strikeouts, walks, and pitches seen per AB. If you can get past the Ks, there's a lot to like there. I just wish he didn't always look like he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. LOL

Also, not for nothing, but Judge's K rate has declined every year he's been in the bigs, from a whopping 44% in 2016 all the way down to 25% in 2021.

They need to get him locked up long term yesterday.

And I think they're going to non-tender Sanchez. They came really close to doing it last winter.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I value him as a good defensive OF who will post an .800+ OPS. He'll also be among the league leaders in strikeouts, walks, and pitches seen per AB. If you can get past the Ks, there's a lot to like there. I just wish he didn't always look like he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. LOL

Also, not for nothing, but Judge's K rate has declined every year he's been in the bigs, from a whopping 44% in 2016 all the way down to 25% in 2021.

They need to get him locked up long term yesterday.

And I think they're going to non-tender Sanchez. They came really close to doing it last winter.
Honestly, you can have Gallo. He’s everything that is wrong with the modern game. Can’t hit a lick, but takes a lot of pitches and the OPS is there. I hate those “3 true outcome” guys. And if Judge isn’t the strikeout machine he once was, then Voit is another one(if he ever decides to play). Too many of those guys in that lineup.

Definitely time to bail on Sanchez and upgrade that position. Not sure who else is out there, but he’s clearly not the answer.

BTW, what do you think a Judge extension looks like? Tough one there....

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Barnes got hit pretty good in the All Star Game and he has been that way ever since. So bizarre that my team is in the playoffs without a closer, has anyone ever seen that before?

On another note, and sorry if this was already brought up, but I had to laugh at Boone's post game comment “The league’s closed the gap on us,” Boone said. “We have to get better." The Yanks haven't been in the Series since 2009, the Red Sox have won 2 rings since then, Houston went to the Series twice and the Rays have been the class of the league for 2 seasons. Closed the gap? LOL. Someone should tell Boone the league has done passed the Yankees a long time ago.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, you can have Gallo. He’s everything that is wrong with the modern game. Can’t hit a lick, but takes a lot of pitches and the OPS is there. I hate those “3 true outcome” guys. And if Judge isn’t the strikeout machine he once was, then Voit is another one(if he ever decides to play). Too many of those guys in that lineup.

Definitely time to bail on Sanchez and upgrade that position. Not sure who else is out there, but he’s clearly not the answer.

BTW, what do you think a Judge extension looks like? Tough one there....

Whatever it takes, they have to do it. He's the best everyday player they've developed since Jeter, he's the face of the franchise, he says he wants to retire in pinstripes.

I'm guessing it will look similar to Mike Trout's deal. I'd prefer they do it this winter, and buy out at least a year of his arbitration, but you never know with these jamokes.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever it takes, they have to do it. He's the best everyday player they've developed since Jeter, he's the face of the franchise, he says he wants to retire in pinstripes.

I'm guessing it will look similar to Mike Trout's deal. I'd prefer they do it this winter, and buy out at least a year of his arbitration, but you never know with these jamokes.
You would give him that many years? You aren’t worried about him breaking down? Any concern about paying Judge, Stanton & Cole $100m/year long-term?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Barnes got hit pretty good in the All Star Game and he has been that way ever since. So bizarre that my team is in the playoffs without a closer, has anyone ever seen that before?

On another note, and sorry if this was already brought up, but I had to laugh at Boone's post game comment “The league’s closed the gap on us,” Boone said. “We have to get better." The Yanks haven't been in the Series since 2009, the Red Sox have won 2 rings since then, Houston went to the Series twice and the Rays have been the class of the league for 2 seasons. Closed the gap? LOL. Someone should tell Boone the league has done passed the Yankees a long time ago.
rays dont have a closer

they have 14 with a save and the 1 with the most is traded to seattle :suds:

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would give him that many years? You aren’t worried about him breaking down? Any concern about paying Judge, Stanton & Cole $100m/year long-term?

Sure it's a concern. I don't think there's a blueprint for how an every day player that size will age. But how are you going to take on Stanton's years, and give Cole the years they did, and then blow off your best overall player? A player you drafted and developed? There'd be some serious blowback from the fanbase if they let him walk-I think they'll do whatever it takes. And let's be honest-tax cap or no, they've got money to burn.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We rooting for rays or sox? 10 years ago and this is an easy decision