• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aiyuk tells Jayden 49ers don't want him back.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point, perhaps with some therapeutic intervention, moving away from resigned hopefulness has to become a thing around these parts, especially when pitted against considered reality. Here's what I mean...

Tell me, which one of these groups you'd rather have in real-time with winning games as your stated goal.

Higgins/Aiyuk, McLaurin, and Dotson (Known, Known, and hopeful)

VS.

McLaurin, Dotson, and McCaffrey (Known, Hopeful, hopeful)
I'd want option A in 2025.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your answer to the question is...???
Give me the evaluation year and we will see where the players stand after the season is over. No need to give away draft picks and a high cap amount for one player. That’s something Danny and Vinny the Rat would do while playing fantasy football roster construction games

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me the evaluation year and we will see where the players stand after the season is over. No need to give away draft picks and a high cap amount for one player. That’s something Danny and Vinny the Rat would do while playing fantasy football roster construction games
I'd want option A in 2025.
Fair enough, but there's a season to be played this year and you're essentially telling your guys that given the opportunity to win more games now by improving the team, you'd both be willing to sacrifice another year of their short careers because you can't properly evaluate what you have now.

Dotson COULD be better than he's been thus far and you drafted another guy in the third round, but he has an interesting lineage which also COULD be beneficial.

Now get out there and run through walls for us even though we're not giving you the best chance to win now.

BTW; take another look at the history of this organization, especially under Snyder, and you'll find that building patiently with mediocre and aged or aging talent has been its hallmark, not upgrading with younger very talented players with years ahead of them.

Ron Rivera​

Rivera was the head coach for the Washington Commanders and Washington Football Team in the 2020-2023 seasons, a total of four years. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2020) and had a 0-1 record under Coach Rivera in playoff games.

Jay Gruden​

Gruden was the head coach for the Washington Redskins in the 2014-2019 seasons, a total of six years. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2015) and had a 0-1 record under Coach Gruden in playoff games.

Mike Shanahan​

Shanahan was the head coach for the Washington Redskins in the 2010-2013 seasons, a total of four years. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2012) and had a 0-1 record under Coach Shanahan in playoff games.

Jim Zorn​

Zorn was the head coach for the Washington Redskins in the 2008-2009 seasons, a total of two years.

Joe Gibbs​

Joe Gibbs returned to Washington for his second stint from 2004 to 2007. During this period, he led the team to two playoff appearances, including a trip to the divisional round in 2005. While his second tenure wasn’t as successful as his first, Gibbs managed to restore a measure of respect to the franchise

Steve Spurrier​

Spurrier was the head coach for the Washington Redskins in the 2002-2003 seasons, a total of two years.

Marty Schottenheimer​

Schottenheimer was the head coach for the Washington Redskins in the 2001 season.

Norv Turner​

Turner was the head coach for the Washington Redskins in the 1994-2000 seasons, a total of seven years. The team made it to the playoffs one time (1999) and had a 1-1 record under Coach Turner in playoff games.

Now if you guys want to get into a draft, sign free agents, or trade for aging talents vs. trading for young skilled talents over the years, we can do that too!

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stymietee if you want to use the business analogy, the Commanders under Adam Peters as the personnel executive are in their start-up phase. He went to his venture capitalist partner- in this case, the owner Josh Harris- with what probably amounts to plans for the first year, two years, three years, five years and probably ten years and maybe a little further out.

The first year of a startup business usually loses money, or the goal is the break even. During this period, you look at getting yourself out on the market and establishing a foothold. You try things to see what works, and what doesn’t work. In the NFL world, we invested the #2 overall pick into a potential franchise QB. The franchise has been mismanaged without a solid plan since Mike Shanahan was here. Bruce Allen had his own plan, then got that taken away from him in favor of Scot McCloughan, who then got replaced by Allen again, and then Ron Rivera had an extremely terrible run as executive, not to mention football coach. Dare I say the roster under Rivera ended up worse than the roster he inherited?

At the same time, we have work to do to change over 15 years of a terrible organizational culture off the field, led by Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen.

Adam Peters goal is to evaluate the players he was left with, and grow the players he drafted. Peters and Quinn brought in veterans to fill gaps in the roster, but also to provide stable leadership and help grow the culture that Quinn wants to implement. Peters has made management changes and hires at the top level, and at the scouting level. Some people still remain in the front office. While you are evaluating the players, you are also evaluating the people in the front office to see how they do their roles.

Yes, the ‘average‘ NFL player has a shelf life. The majority of them want to win, get paid, leave a mark, etc. But that is why you have a management team that comes in and manages all of your resources. Draft picks have a cost, both in trading them, as well as the contract cost of the players you acquire. You have to manage the cap in short-term and long-term phases. They are evaluating the QB of the future, as well as the players inherited from the previous regime.

If you are patient, you can build a long-term, sustainable winner in the NFL. That is what the goal should be, not leveraging all of our resources to win today, this year. I want this team to succeed beyond the 3.3 year average NFL career. I want what our neighbors have up in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, a successful organization that can win games despite who is in charge at any given moment. We don’t get there by giving away resources together, like trading a first for a player and then signing him to a big extension.