• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After almost half way throug hthe season. What are the top 5 positions needs now?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you missed this back in September:

Harbaugh on Monday said he was shooting for "a 50-50 ratio or darn near close" with the 49ers.

49ers Blog and Q&A: The running man: Harbaugh historically has favored the run

Maybe a better phrasing to what I meant would be, open up the passing game more? I will always favor a balanced attack. When both function on a high level, they are harder to stop, but 50/50 ratio only covers attempts, it doesn't cover how those attempts are handled.

I hope you guys aren't prepared to make a case for us settling for a game manager at QB. Can we win with one? yea sure, but I'm not content with one. I don't want to win because our QB didn't make mistake, I want to win because our QB ate through the other teams, even with a 50/50 ratio that's possible.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article you posted shows these numbers

2010: 480 runs vs. 374 passes
2009: 527 runs vs. 312 passes

They undoubtedly ran more. But would anyone say Luck is used as a game manager? Luck ate teams up through the air. They passed less, but when they did pass it was a serious threat. Game managers don't allow us to do that.

Please lets not go into a discussion that all we need is a game manager. That's a losing teams mentality if i ever seen one.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's a fair point though. X's point was that if Harbaugh had a great QB he'd be more prone to passing. He had a great QB at Stanford in Luck, but they were so far ahead in most games that they didn't need to pass by half-time.

:yo:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A QB is still #1, and until we find our franchise guy QB will always be #1. I'd also like to add a #1 WR and a #1 CB. Safety is right up there too. Depth at DL, as well.

no doubt we'll always be looking for a quality QB, a 'franchise' guy.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is still a top priority. I'm just not sure the 49ers will use a high draft pick on that again after a 2nd on CK, plus they have Tolzien on the roster.. and he showed some nice things to build on in preseason.

Followed by secondary. Rogers is 30, he isn't a long term #1 CB. Culliver seems to get better every week, but the safeties are a huge concern for me. That Cribbs TD was the latest reminder of how easily they find themselves out of position.

OLB seems much better off than it did the last few years with Aldon. Once he actually starts playing every down, O-Lines are really going to hate facing the 49ers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, i think we need to see who we are able to re-sign to be able to fully answer that question. Assuming we have the same guys we do today then i would say QB/WR/CB/OG/C.

the obvious answer was QB but assuming we re-sign all the guys we want re-signed.......i'll stick to BPA cause there's no glaring spot? doesn't need to be every round, but just keep adding the best talent we can.

we'll likely pick in the 20's so we shouldn't expect a 'franchise' LT, WR, CB, or whatever else each person thinks are 'key spots'?

btw - even though not a high slot, we can't think depth? we have to think the higher rounds will be our starters sooner rather than later. player movement is a given every season, not to mention major injury.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QB is still a top priority. I'm just not sure the 49ers will use a high draft pick on that again after a 2nd on CK, plus they have Tolzien on the roster.. and he showed some nice things to build on in preseason.

Followed by secondary. Rogers is 30, he isn't a long term #1 CB. Culliver seems to get better every week, but the safeties are a huge concern for me. That Cribbs TD was the latest reminder of how easily they find themselves out of position.

OLB seems much better off than it did the last few years with Aldon. Once he actually starts playing every down, O-Lines are really going to hate facing the 49ers.

if they don't draft a QB round 1, then it'll be because no prospect was warranted. cause if one did warrant that pick, you gotta draft him regardless of CK. our window is opening and we need that SB winning QB as soon as possible.

CK may very well become a quality QB, but at this stage we can't take that chance.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's a fair point though. X's point was that if Harbaugh had a great QB he'd be more prone to passing. He had a great QB at Stanford in Luck, but they were so far ahead in most games that they didn't need to pass by half-time.

And they had a great QB at USD. That is the beauty of this offense. They don't need to pass too much. So things can stay 50-50ish.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see us going QB late first round. It would be like saying Kap was a bust. I'm also intrigued by Tolzien. He could be a perfect fit for our offense.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they had a great QB at USD. That is the beauty of this offense. They don't need to pass too much. So things can stay 50-50ish.

Are we really using what Harbaugh did in the Pioneer Football League as evidence to his football philosophy? It's a borderline high school conference.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Arete, why are you called X again? I feel that was your old handle on the espn board, is it?

Just because I am getting confused sometimes with posts replying to you, X and other times me as X... lol, just want some sanity!

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB, WR, S, CB, OL

Just curious what some people think about our RB position. Gore has def been tearing it up out there lately. But lets face it hes not getting any younger. While i have been impressed with Hunter and i like what he has done, does anyone think Hunter can be an every down back? Would we look to draft one if at all possible, or do a running back by committee in the future? Dixon is a nice 3rd RB that can be a goal line guy.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Arete, why are you called X again? I feel that was your old handle on the espn board, is it?

Just because I am getting confused sometimes with posts replying to you, X and other times me as X... lol, just want some sanity!

used to go by xzibit, but yea I get confused sometimes to lol

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see us going QB late first round. It would be like saying Kap was a bust. I'm also intrigued by Tolzien. He could be a perfect fit for our offense.

Yep, that is really all I meant by the 49ers might not go QB in the 1st, just because with any luck it could be a 28-32 pick. Not so much saying that Kap is a bust, but it's doubtful a 1st round talent at QB would still be around so late.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agreed - I would like to see him get some snaps.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the obvious answer was QB but assuming we re-sign all the guys we want re-signed.......i'll stick to BPA cause there's no glaring spot? doesn't need to be every round, but just keep adding the best talent we can.

we'll likely pick in the 20's so we shouldn't expect a 'franchise' LT, WR, CB, or whatever else each person thinks are 'key spots'?

btw - even though not a high slot, we can't think depth? we have to think the higher rounds will be our starters sooner rather than later. player movement is a given every season, not to mention major injury.

I was thinking more along the lines of FA and the draft rather than just the draft. There are some solid WR's that might be available if they aren't re-signed or franchised and i personally like Brent Grimes if he becomes available.

There may very well be a "Franchise" WR or CB available. This draft is absolutely stacked with talent at both of those positions and who knows who may turn out to be "elite". Who would of thought Dez Bryant was going to be around for the Cowboys to pick a couple of years ago. We may still have a shot at guys like Alshon Jeffery (depending on what you think about him), Jeff Fuller, Ryan Broyles, Dre Kirkpatrick, Janoris Jenkins, Jayron Hosley, Alfonzo Denard, ect. We could come out of the first 2 rounds with a solid CB and WR.

QB should be our number 1 priority, but the chances of us getting Luck are so slim. Even if we trade away a ton of draft picks I am sure other teams would beat us out because the 49ers are likely to have better records than most teams (especially with Luck). We could try and trade up for Landry Jones or Matt Barkley, but chances are Landry probably stays in college and Barkley gets drafted like Mark Sanchez because of the lack of top tier talent and need at the QB position right now.

Now, if there is a guy they view as an "elite" prospect that they just don't want to miss out on then we should do that, but i don't think we are really missing out too much just because we are likely to have a late round pick for once.