• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins 2017 Mock Off-Season

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My revised FA signings:

Robert Woods = WR
Bennie Logan = NT
William Gholston = DE
Gerald Hodges = ILB
DJ Swearinger = FS
Larry Warford = LG

Clearly its somewhat of a pipedream as we would have to re-structure and make several cuts. Cousins would also have to sign a long term deal as well.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we come out of this FA period with signing only 3 FA starters than it will be considered a disaster. We need at least 5 starters. Our defense was so poor last year that some average FAs would start depending on the position. I would like to see a combination of upper, mid and lower tier FAs. I hope we stay away from bloated contracts for 30 yr old plus FA. There are plenty of FAs available that we can afford them.

Player like:

Gerald Hodges = ILB
DJ Swearinger = Safety
Robert Woods = WR
Malcolm Smith = ILB
Lawrence Guy = DE
Kevin Minter = ILB

Should not cost too much and would be instant upgrades at any of those positions. I hope we don't blow through our cap in signing just 3 players. That would be the last thing we need to do.

I'd like to see what we could do with an above average NT & FS. You can't fix the ENTIRE defense in one season, and those two positions contributed to us not winning the big games last year. Lots of folks keep mentioning the same two or three folks because it will take money to re-sign our own folks at key positions and more money to get the top performers at our weakest spots. All the guys you mentioned are solid but one could argue they aren't any better than what we have.
In fact, with the exception of Malcolm Smith, those FA either have more youth or talent and won less games than the 'skins.
Questions?
Is Hodges going to play at all-pro level here in DC just because he made a lot of tackles in SF?
Is Robert Woods going to make a good WR2 because he will only be a $5mil 2017 cap hit?
And if you sign him who is the WR1?
Lawrence Guy is great run stopper, do you pay him or draft McDowell @#17 and save money?
---That money goes FAST, LOL

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why we have so many holes year in and year out. At least the OLine is good for change. It only took 10 years to address that need. Outside of RG, we are pretty solid I think.
Because skins fan want a probowler at every position

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see what we could do with an above average NT & FS. You can't fix the ENTIRE defense in one season, and those two positions contributed to us not winning the big games last year. Lots of folks keep mentioning the same two or three folks because it will take money to re-sign our own folks at key positions and more money to get the top performers at our weakest spots. All the guys you mentioned are solid but one could argue they aren't any better than what we have.
In fact, with the exception of Malcolm Smith, those FA either have more youth or talent and won less games than the 'skins.
Questions?
Is Hodges going to play at all-pro level here in DC just because he made a lot of tackles in SF?
Is Robert Woods going to make a good WR2 because he will only be a $5mil 2017 cap hit?
And if you sign him who is the WR1?
Lawrence Guy is great run stopper, do you pay him or draft McDowell @#17 and save money?
---That money goes FAST, LOL

I believe everything you said and agree with you. Not to be argumentative but the Giants fixed their defense in 1 offseason in 2016 and KC did in 2013. Every year we say that we can't fix the defense in 1 offseason and its become an annual excuse. The problem is that we do little to nothing to ever fix the defense, hence, we are in the same spot each year.

I think we do need to draw a line in the sand and try to address as much as reasonably possible through FA and the draft. I am not interested in drafting the BPA and I am not interested in neglecting the DLine yet again. The defense needs to be cleansed and I doubt the FO has the guts to do it.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe everything you said and agree with you. Not to be argumentative but the Giants fixed their defense in 1 offseason in 2016 and KC did in 2013. Every year we say that we can't fix the defense in 1 offseason and its become an annual excuse. The problem is that we do little to nothing to ever fix the defense, hence, we are in the same spot each year.

I think we do need to draw a line in the sand and try to address as much as reasonably possible through FA and the draft. I am not interested in drafting the BPA and I am not interested in neglecting the DLine yet again. The defense needs to be cleansed and I doubt the FO has the guts to do it.

Duke -- The Giants and Chiefs off the top of my head, not only drafted well -- but addressed need in FA.
And as you've mentioned, they didn't give 30 year olds fantasy contracts.
For whatever reason, the most important part of the 3-4 has not been addressed for years.
Norman did pretty well, in fact some of the really bad plays through the air, were due to QBs having 10 seconds to throw on 3rd and 20. Whether in base or Nickel, the pass-rush needed to be improved. Again as you mentioned, our whole front 7(with the exception of Kerrigan;Baker overachieves) needs to be replaced.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke -- The Giants and Chiefs off the top of my head, not only drafted well -- but addressed need in FA.
And as you've mentioned, they didn't give 30 year olds fantasy contracts.
For whatever reason, the most important part of the 3-4 has not been addressed for years.
Norman did pretty well, in fact some of the really bad plays through the air, were due to QBs having 10 seconds to throw on 3rd and 20. Whether in base or Nickel, the pass-rush needed to be improved. Again as you mentioned, our whole front 7(with the exception of Kerrigan;Baker overachieves) needs to be replaced.

You are right in that its a combination of drafting well and signing the right free agents...but it can be done.

I would like us to draft the best defensive player available when practical. I don't believe in drafting the BPA at all and I have said why numerous times. I hated the Doctson pick and while I hope it works out, we could have gone other routes. Doctson will be 25 before he really plays meaningful downs in the NFL and we just didn't need a WR that high. You build the lines first. Its amazing how well the OLine started playing once we invested high round picks in the position. I would like to see the same approach on the DLine now.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right in that its a combination of drafting well and signing the right free agents...but it can be done.

I would like us to draft the best defensive player available when practical. I don't believe in drafting the BPA at all and I have said why numerous times. I hated the Doctson pick and while I hope it works out, we could have gone other routes. Doctson will be 25 before he really plays meaningful downs in the NFL and we just didn't need a WR that high. You build the lines first. Its amazing how well the OLine started playing once we invested high round picks in the position. I would like to see the same approach on the DLine now.

I think what has made some of these picks so bad is that Scott has drafted as if the needs had already been addressed. If we didn't need to improve LG or NT, then yes drafting Doctson would have been great in preparation for Garcon or Jackson leaving. But with so many holes on defense, I was almost sure we would have taken Chris Jones from Mississippi State or Vernon Butler, and developed those guys. Just a small example but i get what you are saying. He hasn't totally flopped on late additions, but some of the talent we have doesn't seem to fit this 3-4

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, after the combine my first and second round picks probably wouldn't happen.
lesson learned.