• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted for child abuse

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm aware of what a spanking is and don't understand why anyone would think it's ok. Lashing them with a belt is even worse.

Then you're a puss, as most rational adults dont think its the end of innocence if a kid gets spanked bcause he/she deerved it

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people believe strongly in corporal punishment for kids.

It is kind of a gray area in terms of cultural upbringing....although the pictures seems to suggest AP lost his mind and took it way way way too far.

In a past generation (not that long ago) paddles were quite common in public schools. It was not uncommon for school principals to spank strangers kids.

My mom would casually speak about dad's belt and scare the beejezus out of me.
I don't remember Dad ever actually owning a belt...honestly...I think it was a clever lie looking back.

But, the threat of "Dads belt" was legendary like the Loch Ness Monster for me and my siblings.
It was the ultimate scare tactic that always had us doing our chores quickly.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read through a little bit of this. LoL @ comparing spanking a child to spanking an employee.

"Damnit, Johnson! I told you to have those TPS reports in by Wednesday. *SPANK* NOW GET BACK TO WORK!"

Seriously though, that was a terrible comparison.

So comparing an activity done to a child to the exact same activity done to an adult is a terrible comparison? Do tell.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hickory whoopin was an easy one. The bad one is when it looked like dad was dancing because he couldn't get his belt off fast enough.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His attorney said he was brought up that way, so we know he's done it before....
I got some of them switch whoopin's growing up myself, but I chose to take privileges instead of beating my son.
There are times when a spanking is needful, but with an open hand on the butt and not when you are angry....
I knew AP was a piece of garbage when he walked in and saw his dying child that he had never taken the time to be in his life and got on a plane home to play in a game.....
Never went back to my knowledge.....
Ok, Roger, let's see how you feel about child abuse and a star player committing it....

That tells me a whole lot more about this guy than the 'switch' incident, imo.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's wrong for a kid that young. Man if your butt is 13 and you do something stupid, I think ya got it coming.

But FOUR!? Jeez.... what can you do at 4 that could warrant that?

At four years old you don't even have to hit your child to put the fear of god in them.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So comparing an activity done to a child to the exact same activity done to an adult is a terrible comparison? Do tell.

Does telling an adult to stand in the corner for 3 minutes have teh same effect as on a 4 year old? Of course not and any parents knows that. a 4 year old has little concept of time. 3 minutes is an eternity. For an adult, I'll count to 180 and move on.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does telling an adult to stand in the corner for 3 minutes have teh same effect as on a 4 year old? Of course not and any parents knows that. a 4 year old has little concept of time. 3 minutes is an eternity. For an adult, I'll count to 180 and move on.

My point, which most on here clearly neither have the emotional distance (it happened to me, so it must be ok) or moral clarity to see, is that nearly everyone can acknowledge that spanking/hitting an adult is wrong. However, for reasons passing understanding, most think it's perfectly ok when you do it to an innocent child. It's barbaric and unnecessary.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. There are several things that you can do to one and not the other. Mind you, exact same activities. Let me just help you with one example so you can see how stupid that reasoning is.

You have a 30-year-old son living at home and you kick him out of the house. Let him figure things out on his own.

You have a 3-year-old son living at home and you kick him out of the house. Let him figure things out on his own.

Same activity. Much different. Why is it different? Because children aren't the same as adults. Derp.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point, which most on here clearly neither have the emotional distance (it happened to me, so it must be ok) or moral clarity to see, is that nearly everyone can acknowledge that spanking/hitting an adult is wrong. However, for reasons passing understanding, most think it's perfectly ok when you do it to an innocent child. It's barbaric and unnecessary.

There times it just fine to punch a adult. Someone trying to light your house on fire, someone trying to kidnap your child, the list goes goes on and on. Same for children.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. There are several things that you can do to one and not the other. Mind you, exact same activities. Let me just help you with one example so you can see how stupid that reasoning is.

You have a 30-year-old son living at home and you kick him out of the house. Let him figure things out on his own.

You have a 3-year-old son living at home and you kick him out of the house. Let him figure things out on his own.

Same activity. Much different.

That was ludicrous there's an extreme difference on many levels

Bradyjustwins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah whether a parent thinks spanking is OK or not is an individual thing. I went into parenting being against it and realized sometimes you need more than taking toys away. That doesn't mean people that don't are wrong. In my case I'll only do it if they can hurt themselves or each other. The example from a poster above about his kids running in a parking lot and not listening is a time I'd also spank.

but a spanking on the butt is NOT the same as taking a switch and hitting a 4 year old all over his body. That is a line where it's not punishment, it's abuse.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, goody. Now we're punching children.

Now your just trolling. I was pointing out that their are times when adults need physical action to stop them. I am not for punching children, but spanking them at times are for their own good.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah wheg a parent thinks spanking is OK or not is an individual thing. I went into parenting being against it and realized sometimes you need more than taking toys away. That doesn't mean people that don't are wrong. In my case I'll only do it if they can hurt themselves or each other. The example from a poster above about his kids running in a parking lot and not listening is a time I'd also spank.

but a spanking on the button is NOT the same as taking a switch and hitting a 4 year old all over his body. That is a line where it's not punishment, it's abuse.

I think you touched on a critical point. It's a matter of circumstance. If a kids action can result in greater harm than you spanking them then it is a rational option and action.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fumbling bumbling AP. didn't they out law whipping kids in the 60s??? the money he makes..he could have hired people to help rear his children. He is not a father. just a monster

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I already explained in detail why it was a stupid comparison, but let me try a different means of explaining it to you. Basically, you compared how an employer would discipline an employee to what is acceptable for a parent disciplining their child.

Tell me this, as a parent, would you say it is appropriate to give your 2 year old child a bath, or would you expect them to perform that task solo without your help? Obviously, you help your child bathe for safety reasons. Then tell me, say you are a boss and your employee shows up stinking so badly that peoples' eyes burn from it - do you assist your employee with taking a bath/shower, or do you send them home and tell them to take care of their own hygiene? You can't compare an interaction with a small child to a grown, competent adult.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same activity. Much different. Why is it different? Because children aren't the same as adults. Derp.

Derp all you want, but you're the one not getting it here. In your example, you're being more protective of a child than an adult. That is how it should be. That's how we are with just about everything, with one glaring exception. With corporal punishment, society is less protective of children than it is of adults.