• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted for child abuse

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our awareness of the evil of the world is far greater today that it was when we were kids.

Ain't that the truth.

Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it just makes a thread blow up on SportsHoopla.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to mention something like this.

If you ask a 10yr old to choose between getting the switch or taking phone away for a week as a form of punishment, safe too say they would choose getting the switch.

True, so which is really the worse punishment? Spanking or being grounded?

And if it's not spanking, how does that fit into abuse(that isn't drawing blood etc).

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is crazy. AP is a beast. 6'3 of pure muscle. Him hitting a child is multiplied with what I could do. He went too far....must have been doing it for a while .
He didn't physically put his hands on the child, so his size and muscle really doesn't come into play.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, so which is really the worse punishment? Spanking or being grounded?

And if it's not spanking, how does that fit into abuse(that isn't drawing blood etc).
In a child's eyes (not a 4yr old, but a 10yr old) being grounded would be worse, especially if phone is taken away.

In an Adult's eyes....just the opposite.

always

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to mention something like this.

If you ask a 10yr old to choose between getting the switch or taking phone away for a week as a form of punishment, safe too say they would choose getting the switch.

Ohhh no no no no no man. Not if they get hit hard enough with it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I'm in Bama I see folks spank their kids in public a lot and no one thinks twice about it. I don't think there is one right answer to raising kids, but I do think it looks like AP stepped over the line that as a society we have to have at some point.

He stepped over the line, but what is the best thing to do about it? Put him in jail?

It really depends on if it was the 1st time and he just didn't realize he was hitting too hard or if he did it frequently and knew.

If it was 1st time and just hit too hard, I am not in favor of courts being involved. That's a thing where he is likely to correct the mistake on his own. My parents hit me with a switch too hard every now and then and drew blood, but it wasn't on purpose and 99% of the time it never happened. But if it's a long period of time where he is constantly drawing blood, then it's another story because it no longer falls into the category of mistake.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was overboard, but does it really warrant a charge?

this is an interesting point. The 'media' are calling it child abuse, where I heard it was 'injury to a child'.

Back in the day, we as kids always knew what a 'switch' was. I can hear my mom now, "You boys knock that off or I'll get a switch!" Kids I knew all knew what a switch was.

My little brother, RIP, was a little terror. It got to where my mom would say she was going to get a switch, and he'd laugh. One day, my mom was so frustrated by his behavior, and his blatant disregard for her authority, that she grabbed a yard-stick, grabbed him by the arm and paddled his butt. The yard-stick broke, and my brother laughed. I'll never forget it.

While I think whipping the boy until he bled is way over the top, I dont think this is child abuse nor does is warrant a charge. Just my opinion.

As for me, myself, I could never whip a little boy until he is bleeding, no matter how obstinate he is.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when things were starting to look up for Vikings fans, this happens... at least we still have Patterson... urgh.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't had kids yet. But when I do, I may or may not use corporal punishment. I haven't decided yet. Just know that it is the most effective deterrent for a young kid.

I have 3. All attending college.

I'm 50+ and was spanked with what ever my ma could lay her hands on.

With my kids, The only time they got a swat was to re-enforce a much needed correction.

Like when they though it funny to run into parking lots.

Me seeming to be disappointed/displeased in their actions was usually enough for them not to be repeat

offenders.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have already said.
I believe the use of spankings.
However I don't think any parent should ever spank their kids while they are pissed off. That is where things do get out of hand. Put your kid in their room & you go to another room til you get calmed down, then deal with whatever form of discipline.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stepped over the line, but what is the best thing to do about it? Put him in jail?

It really depends on if it was the 1st time and he just didn't realize he was hitting too hard or if he did it frequently and knew.

If it was 1st time and just hit too hard, I am not in favor of courts being involved. That's a thing where he is likely to correct the mistake on his own. My parents hit me with a switch too hard every now and then and drew blood, but it wasn't on purpose and 99% of the time it never happened. But if it's a long period of time where he is constantly drawing blood, then it's another story because it no longer falls into the category of mistake.

He's gonna need at least a pat on the backside to learn his lesson. My most honest guess is he gets probation and has to take some parenting and anger control classes. That is if more doesn't come out.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just take comfort in being morally right, regardless of the numbers.

rock on. That's the great thing about parenting, you can do it your own way as long as you are responsible about it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three daughters and I can discipline just as effectively by withholding a toy (or in the case of my oldest, her iPhone).

You never had a situation where they won't stop doing something they shouldn't? You are truly blessed with children that listen and are not willful. I raised 5 kids and lose count of grand kids, and while I always found that some could be stop with a frown, some take a bit more. Nothing wrong with a spanking, when the situation calls for it.
I give you the example when I got a real ass whooping. I had started a camp fire in the the middle of grove of bushes that surrounded a open space, now I was like 11 and didn't realize that the smoke rising up up would give me away. Now the house my parents owned before this one had burnt to the ground due to bad wiring. The ass whooping I got was deserved and taught never to play with fire without adult supervision. With holding a toy would never have served the same purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've heard and read, what he did was nothing I didn't have done to me. Only I had to cut my own hickory switch.

When I was little, if I got in trouble at school, I went home with my grandma where I'd get a hickory whoopin from my grandpa and another from my dad when I got home. Yeah they left marks, but I generally learned my lesson and I'm grateful for every red ass and striped leg I received as a child.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read through a little bit of this. LoL @ comparing spanking a child to spanking an employee.

"Damnit, Johnson! I told you to have those TPS reports in by Wednesday. *SPANK* NOW GET BACK TO WORK!"

Seriously though, that was a terrible comparison.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he has a whooping room...that's why I'm assuming he's been doing it for a while.

His attorney said he was brought up that way, so we know he's done it before....
I got some of them switch whoopin's growing up myself, but I chose to take privileges instead of beating my son.
There are times when a spanking is needful, but with an open hand on the butt and not when you are angry....
I knew AP was a piece of garbage when he walked in and saw his dying child that he had never taken the time to be in his life and got on a plane home to play in a game.....
Never went back to my knowledge.....
Ok, Roger, let's see how you feel about child abuse and a star player committing it....