• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AD narrows it down to two teams

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is when there is no other trade partner. This Celtics nonsense is just that; nonsense. Sure, if the Lakers bowed out the Celtics would be quick to underpay with their Brown/picks offer for the rental risk, but otherwise they aren't going to complete.

I'm not sure the Lakers are in position to take that risk. Even if the Celtics offer is nonsense...there's always the possibility of a Thunder/Raptors situation where a team that is looking at either making a big trade or rebuilding, decides to delay their rebuild for a year and make a trade.

So far, the Lakers seem to be playing it smart (which actually scares the hell out of me) because they have apparently put forth a good offer, but not their best offer.

If the rumors that they are "canvassing the league" with the #4 pick to see if they can get a 3rd team involved are true, that is also smart (again, scaring the hell out of me) because it means they may be able to improve their offer without including Kuzma.

But at the end of the day, if Griffin says "Include Kuzma or no deal" the Lakers only response should be "Do you want to call Woj and let him know it's done, or should we?"

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except they may only get hobbled KD...Kyrie headed to Brooklyn to play with DLo apparently, and the Pels don't like the Knicks' trade pieces.
If Adrian Peterson could come back like he did, KD can easily come back and be fine.

I've also loosely heard rumors of KD to Brooklyn with Kyrie. Kyrie/KD in Brooklyn with AD in New York would be a wild change in climate for the city of NY. Go from having nothing to really a huge storyline with those two teams and rosters.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is when there is no other trade partner. This Celtics nonsense is just that; nonsense. Sure, if the Lakers bowed out the Celtics would be quick to underpay with their Brown/picks offer for the rental risk, but otherwise they aren't going to complete.

Is it really overpay when you offered the same thing months ago? lol If they keep Kuzma you are likely getting a steal in the deal. I'm sure the Lakers will do everything they can to keep Kuzma out of the deal but if the deal depends on Kuzma--they are making the trade. So I would say the Pelicans definitely have leverage here.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The only reason they aren't including Kuzma now is because this is a real negotiation as opposed to whatever the hell that was at the deadline.

I love Kuzma...but as a Lakers fan, I'd be pissed if they didn't get an AD trade done because they wouldn't give him up.
What that was at the deadline, was Magic Johnson getting played like a sucker and looking back at it, I now think that's the reason he may have quit. He had to have known at the point that he wasn't doing a terrific job and decide it was best to leave and save face

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That, or they'd need to get another star level player and filler (particularly shooters).

I'm not talking about getting a superstar level player like Kawhi. But they could contend with say...Lebron, AD, Kemba or Butler and some shooters. Especially if they can bring in solid vet min. type guys.

I think it is going to be hard to convince another start to come to the Lakers. Not impossible but difficult.

I think the Sixers have already offered Butler the max offer(not sure about the 5th year though). Kemba is a possibility but he may wind up being All-NBA this year and could qualify for a supermax from Charlotte and who knows where he really wants to play. The other big name FAs seem less likely.

While it would be ideal to get a superstar, I think that if the Lakers are able to get AD, they would be much better off focusing on building a real team around those two then trying for the home run and winding up with the poo poo platter again.

But I guess we'll see what they choose to do. If Magic was still there I 100% think they go for the moon shot. We will soon find out how much Pelinka is willing to risk.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really overpay when you offered the same thing months ago? lol If they keep Kuzma you are likely getting a steal in the deal. I'm sure the Lakers will do everything they can to keep Kuzma out of the deal but if the deal depends on Kuzma--they are making the trade. So I would say the Pelicans definitely have leverage here.

They should let hem keep Ingram.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the Lakers are in position to take that risk. Even if the Celtics offer is nonsense...there's always the possibility of a Thunder/Raptors situation where a team that is looking at either making a big trade or rebuilding, decides to delay their rebuild for a year and make a trade.

So far, the Lakers seem to be playing it smart (which actually scares the hell out of me) because they have apparently put forth a good offer, but not their best offer.

If the rumors that they are "canvassing the league" with the #4 pick to see if they can get a 3rd team involved are true, that is also smart (again, scaring the hell out of me) because it means they may be able to improve their offer without including Kuzma.

But at the end of the day, if Griffin says "Include Kuzma or no deal" the Lakers only response should be "Do you want to call Woj and let him know it's done, or should we?"

Then they respond with an offer including Kuzma/Moritz/Bonga/Ingram and keep Ball. Or sub Ingram for Ball. There's no need to get over-aggressive without real competition.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the deal gets done months ago, maybe the Lakers make the playoffs and who knows after that. A partial season of AD has already been lost from that offer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they respond with an offer including Kuzma/Moritz/Bonga/Ingram and keep Ball. Or sub Ingram for Ball. There's no need to get over-aggressive without real competition.

If you think the Lakers are the only team that will be aggressively going for AD, you are out of your mind.

Right now every GM in the NBA is watching these finals and realize what a single elite player can do for a team. If you are the GM for the Nuggets, Clippers, Celtics, Sixers, Bucks, TrailBlazers, Jazz, Spurs, or Rockets and you AREN'T doing everything you can to get AD right now, you are grossly incompetent.

That doesn't mean that those teams are going to give up the world for him or even offer a better package than the Lakers, but there is simply no way that the Lakers are are the only seriously going after him. That is wild wishful thinking.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is going to be hard to convince another start to come to the Lakers. Not impossible but difficult.

I think the Sixers have already offered Butler the max offer(not sure about the 5th year though). Kemba is a possibility but he may wind up being All-NBA this year and could qualify for a supermax from Charlotte and who knows where he really wants to play. The other big name FAs seem less likely.

While it would be ideal to get a superstar, I think that if the Lakers are able to get AD, they would be much better off focusing on building a real team around those two then trying for the home run and winding up with the poo poo platter again.

But I guess we'll see what they choose to do. If Magic was still there I 100% think they go for the moon shot. We will soon find out how much Pelinka is willing to risk.

I agree to a point. Like I said, I don't think it's enough to get Kawhi or someone at that level. But there may be other max or near max players they can get.

If they get AD, it may also be smart to sign some 1 year guys (shooters preferably) and hold onto the cap space for another year so upcoming top FA's can see how things look and go after a big name after next season.

As for Butler, if the Sixers haven't offered him the max, they should. But I thought there was some question about whether or not he wants to stay?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a point. Like I said, I don't think it's enough to get Kawhi or someone at that level. But there may be other max or near max players they can get.

If they get AD, it may also be smart to sign some 1 year guys (shooters preferably) and hold onto the cap space for another year so upcoming top FA's can see how things look and go after a big name after next season.

As for Butler, if the Sixers haven't offered him the max, they should. But I thought there was some question about whether or not he wants to stay?

Yeah if they could get Kawhi you obviously pull the trigger or possibly Butler but after that I think it wouldn't be out of the question to just get a bunch of really good 3rd to 4th option guys with that $35M. The only problem is there isn't much after you get out of the top 10 FA's for a 3rd option---assuming they want a wing player or PG. You have Butler and Kemba...then possibly Tobias (depending on if Butler and Tobias go back to Philly).

You need depth in this league. They could pay 20-25 for a nice 3rd option and then still have money for depth and add in the big and mini MLE.

Interesting to see how it would all fold out if they were to get AD.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't heard of anything from Butler's camp. There are lots of people speculating that he may want to go somewhere but ultimately if the Sixers offer him the max, I think he stays.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did miss that. My mistake.

Have to say as a Cavs' fan following the situation no one I heard here saw the deal coming before it went down.
I would've posted the Lowe story alone but it was only a graph or two about this topic in particular so I figured I'd use an aggregator.

I think there were other options that were discussed at the time that got more play but I recall when the deal happened it was more of a "wow, can't believe they actually did that" kind of surprise more than the "well that came out of the fuckin blue" surprise.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've posted the Lowe story alone but it was only a graph or two about this topic in particular so I figured I'd use an aggregator.

I think there were other options that were discussed at the time that got more play but I recall when the deal happened it was more of a "wow, can't believe they actually did that" kind of surprise more than the "well that came out of the fuckin blue" surprise.
was the latter for me.

Only other team I recall being linked who might have made an offer was Phoenix.

Only point I was making is most of these deals do come out of nowhere, and seems you agreed the others did.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a lottery ticket that at this point isn't very likely to hit.

It’s a shame. He was supposed to be a true elite prospect. Better than Tatum

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a shame. He was supposed to be a true elite prospect. Better than Tatum

Yeah. And I thought it was a good move by the Nuggets. But from what I've heard he's actually added some injuries this season to his repertoire.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And I thought it was a good move by the Nuggets. But from what I've heard he's actually added some injuries this season to his repertoire.

Yeah. Still a guy you have to have in any deal