• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Active HOFers?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sure you sarcastically said that once... somewhere... maybe in bed... witch a chuckle...
'K

Anyway, Posey is a no doubt first ballot and has a better resume than Mauer

Love Timmy but he was not good enough for long enough to deserve it. But those 4-5 years were among the best peaks ever

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey is better than Mauer. Posey was a catcher his entire career while putting up very similar numbers to Mauer, WITH being the face of 3 World Series winning teams.

I was on the fence with Posey being a HOFer until Mauer got in first ballot without much debate. That sets the bar where Posey has already booked his travel plans for induction weekend.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey is better than Mauer. Posey was a catcher his entire career while putting up very similar numbers to Mauer, WITH being the face of 3 World Series winning teams.

I was on the fence with Posey being a HOFer until Mauer got in first ballot without much debate. That sets the bar where Posey has already booked his travel plans for induction weekend.

Very similar to Munson’s numbers who’s not in…..Munson also batted .357 in post season, but his short career was frowned upon I guess….

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very similar to Munson’s numbers who’s not in…..Munson also batted .357 in post season, but his short career was frowned upon I guess….
I am not against letting Munson in. He is before my time, though, so I don’t have a strong opinion either way.

And Mauer/Posey are contemporaries. Easier to compare them. Munson played 3 or 4 generations prior, so much harder to compare apples/apples.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell i thik eli manning should make it to the HOF... so we have something in common
Personally, I don’t think it is THAT controversial to have that opinion. He won 2 Bowls. HOF is not about who was good or bad. It is simply a FINAL review of a resume. Good players can get into bad situations and not have a resume. Middling players can get into sweet situations and build a killer of a resume. The resume is the only thing that happens.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don’t think it is THAT controversial to have that opinion. He won 2 Bowls. HOF is not about who was good or bad. It is simply a FINAL review of a resume. Good players can get into bad situations and not have a resume. Middling players can get into sweet situations and build a killer of a resume. The resume is the only thing that happens.

and i never said posey was not making the HOF... i said i had him on the fence... and my point was just like you, i have a Giant making the HOF...

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not against letting Munson in. He is before my time, though, so I don’t have a strong opinion either way.

And Mauer/Posey are contemporaries. Easier to compare them. Munson played 3 or 4 generations prior, so much harder to compare apples/apples.

He was easily one of the best catchers of his time…..

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was easily one of the best catchers of his time…..
There aren’t that many catchers in to begin with. Having more than 1 or 2 catchers from any era is starting to push it.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Arenado has moved into a pretty sure thing for HoF as he left Coors and his bat is still good. Remains an all-time great at defense.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Arenado has moved into a pretty sure thing for HoF as he left Coors and his bat is still good. Remains an all-time great at defense.
I have always been a big “Coors Hater”. But Arenado brought such amazing defense, I never really applied the “Coors Effect” to him.

I still think he is kinda fence-ish, but when all is said and done, he will probably get my vote.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been a big “Coors Hater”. But Arenado brought such amazing defense, I never really applied the “Coors Effect” to him.

I still think he is kinda fence-ish, but when all is said and done, he will probably get my vote.
His defense is IMO top 2 all-time for 3rd base. His bat was very good while at Coors, but it was a concern. He is still a good bat, which is good to see. His Power has dropped, but he still putting up solid power and 100 RBI's. I think combined with his glove he gets there. If not now, in 5 or so years when he wraps it up he should have the numbers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His defense is IMO top 2 all-time for 3rd base. His bat was very good while at Coors, but it was a concern. He is still a good bat, which is good to see. His Power has dropped, but he still putting up solid power and 100 RBI's. I think combined with his glove he gets there. If not now, in 5 or so years when he wraps it up he should have the numbers.
Hard to say “top #”. Robinson, Rolen, Beltre, etc…. A lot of SUPER elite gloves out there, and no fan watches nearly enough to have a serious argument for one over the other (especially when it comes to someone like Robinson where there isnt the amount of film on him as there is of players today).

I am good with calling him “all time elite” and leaving it at that.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what Arenado's road stats were during his duration in Colorado, but here's his career splits:
Home: .304/.360/.565
Away: .269/.326/.485
Coors: .320/.375/.609
Busch: .264/.324/.466

FWIW, his 119 OPS+ in his first season in STL was only 6 points lower than his average as a Rockie. He had a 151 OPS+ in 2022. His 109 in 2023 is his worst season (not including 2020) since his rookie year. Also the matter of him being 33.

I think he's a HOFer. Where he ranks all-time among 3B? I'd probably say somewhere in the bottom half of top 20. It's possible he continues to tail off. It's also possible he mirrors Beltre (who put up 35.5 WAR from age 33 onwards). Ken Boyer had 56.2 WAR in his first ten seasons and only 6.6 after that. Never finished higher than 25.5% on the ballot. Arenado does have more accolades and higher MVP voting finishes, so there's that.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what Arenado's road stats were during his duration in Colorado, but here's his career splits:
Home: .304/.360/.565
Away: .269/.326/.485
Coors: .320/.375/.609
Busch: .264/.324/.466

FWIW, his 119 OPS+ in his first season in STL was only 6 points lower than his average as a Rockie. He had a 151 OPS+ in 2022. His 109 in 2023 is his worst season (not including 2020) since his rookie year. Also the matter of him being 33.

I think he's a HOFer. Where he ranks all-time among 3B? I'd probably say somewhere in the bottom half of top 20. It's possible he continues to tail off. It's also possible he mirrors Beltre (who put up 35.5 WAR from age 33 onwards). Ken Boyer had 56.2 WAR in his first ten seasons and only 6.6 after that. Never finished higher than 25.5% on the ballot. Arenado does have more accolades and higher MVP voting finishes, so there's that.
Yeah I think he'll probably get in. The 10 gold gloves (and counting) certainly help. Graig Nettles was a very good third baseman in his prime but he was in the same league as Brooks Robinson so he had to wait til he retired to win a couple. That might have kept him out of the hall.
I still think Robinson is considered the best 3b but Arenado is very good. He reminds me of Schmidt (maybe a little better) the way he attacks the ball and rarely screws up the bare handed plays.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think he'll probably get in. The 10 gold gloves (and counting) certainly help. Graig Nettles was a very good third baseman in his prime but he was in the same league as Brooks Robinson so he had to wait til he retired to win a couple. That might have kept him out of the hall.
I still think Robinson is considered the best 3b but Arenado is very good. He reminds me of Schmidt (maybe a little better) the way he attacks the ball and rarely screws up the bare handed plays.

If Arenado gets another GG it's a sham, not that the process hasn't been a sham for years. His OAA last year was 5th in the NL, 2nd the year before. Ke'Bryan Hayes has taken the throne as best defensive 3rd baseman in the game.

To be fair, Arenado has gone back up this year, but I still find it hard to see him winning more than 1 more legitimate GG if any.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Arenado gets another GG it's a sham, not that the process hasn't been a sham for years. His OAA last year was 5th in the NL, 2nd the year before. Ke'Bryan Hayes has taken the throne as best defensive 3rd baseman in the game.

To be fair, Arenado has gone back up this year, but I still find it hard to see him winning more than 1 more legitimate GG if any.
Yeah Gold Gloves have never been very scientific and it seems like it is hard to unseat the incumbent from the previous year(s). And sometimes it seems almost random. I was at the game where Bobby Abreu was awarded his Gold Glove. All Star voting is like that too. 1980 was Mike Schmidt's best year, but for some reason the fans decided that was the year they wanted to see Ken Reitz make his only appearance as a starter.