• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AAF appears done

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolz even the original XFL trainwreck made it through 1 season at least.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why did they never highlight that aspect of the league? I'll tell you why....because they were never trying to market themselves as an NFL minor league.

They ALWAYS highlight that aspect of the league, i can tell you didn't watch.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the league was never sold to the public as a developmental league at its inception.

Yes, they did. That was their major hook and why they’re weren’t supposed to be another USFL or XFL trying to compete with the NFL.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is BULLSHIT

The AZ hotshots were going to make a playoff run. Pathetic league can’t even make it one season? What kind of fucking planning went into this.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why did they never highlight that aspect of the league? I'll tell you why....because they were never trying to market themselves as an NFL minor league.

On the couple of games I watched it was certainly implied by the broadcasters.
"Here's so and so. His 2017 with the titans was cut short. He hopes to work his way back into the NFL", etc etc".

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t understand how you don’t have enough runway for a single fucking season. Attendance wasn’t bad and tv numbers were showing small increases.

As someone who bought tickets and a few merch items because we were repeatedly told this league would become a feeder to the NFL for years to come... it’s a bit funny i couldn’t even get to a playoff game before the bitch folded

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahaha aha almost forgot about JonnyFucknugget

B7E3DAD8-1E5F-44B4-9923-1EB010BEAD6E.png

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this appears to be true, I'm just tore up about it.
Going to take a short break from the SportsHoopla to get my head straight. Be back in a few days.
I love you all!

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strongly disagree... I thought the problem was the opposite... that they tried to hard to compete... the tv deals, the money, the whatever...

If it was purely a developmental league, it would not have lost so much money in advertising and wouldn't be so dependent on fan acceptance...

This. A developmental league will not be a huge draw, so it needs to start small in smaller communities and build itself a stable local following. Developmental (junior and minor league) hockey, baseball and basketball games are not broadcast to national audiences, they are marketed exclusively locally and broadcast over streaming internet at best/if at all. They sustain because they sell tickets to loyal local fans and businesses.

There is a place for a developmental football league.
  1. Get the NFL and NFLPA on board. A developmental league's best shot at sustainability is establishing a direct player pipeline to the NFL.
  2. Target high school graduates as the core developmental base as a directly-paid alternative to NCAA. Include college washouts and U-30 NFL washouts in the player pool.
  3. NFL allows drafting of players as 18 year olds, but retains a two-year developmental requirement for activation to the NFL. 18-year-old draftees can elect NCAA or the developmental league. This would provide extra buzz for the developmental league players (prospects).
  4. Put franchises in smaller cities near the NFL franchise. For example, the Packers' affiliate could play in Madison, the Vikings' in Duluth, the Bears' in Peoria and Lions' in Grand Rapids. Will create strong ties to players within that geographical area and sustainable buzz for up-and-coming players from NFL organizations and fans.
  5. The franchise could be the means for injury replacements - moving players with 2 years experience up to the NFL as needed.
  6. Play all games on Tuesdays or Wednesdays September to December. It wouldn't risk the football fan over-saturation/burnout of "summer football". Players won't be burned out if they get called up to the NFL and will have summer body healing time. You don't step on the toes of Friday night high school football or Saturday college football or Thursday/Sunday/Monday NFL football.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many schmucks here defending this when first announced . :lol::lol::lol:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,021.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurricanes owner gave them 250 mill afree week 1 but it appears he just wantes some of the technology that use.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madden tournaments had more success than this league

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every story needs a villain.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. A developmental league will not be a huge draw, so it needs to start small in smaller communities and build itself a stable local following. Developmental (junior and minor league) hockey, baseball and basketball games are not broadcast to national audiences, they are marketed exclusively locally and broadcast over streaming internet at best/if at all. They sustain because they sell tickets to loyal local fans and businesses.

There is a place for a developmental football league.
  1. Get the NFL and NFLPA on board. A developmental league's best shot at sustainability is establishing a direct player pipeline to the NFL.
  2. Target high school graduates as the core developmental base as a directly-paid alternative to NCAA. Include college washouts and U-30 NFL washouts in the player pool.
  3. NFL allows drafting of players as 18 year olds, but retains a two-year developmental requirement for activation to the NFL. 18-year-old draftees can elect NCAA or the developmental league. This would provide extra buzz for the developmental league players (prospects).
  4. Put franchises in smaller cities near the NFL franchise. For example, the Packers' affiliate could play in Madison, the Vikings' in Duluth, the Bears' in Peoria and Lions' in Grand Rapids. Will create strong ties to players within that geographical area and sustainable buzz for up-and-coming players from NFL organizations and fans.
  5. The franchise could be the means for injury replacements - moving players with 2 years experience up to the NFL as needed.
  6. Play all games on Tuesdays or Wednesdays September to December. It wouldn't risk the football fan over-saturation/burnout of "summer football". Players won't be burned out if they get called up to the NFL and will have summer body healing time. You don't step on the toes of Friday night high school football or Saturday college football or Thursday/Sunday/Monday NFL football.
No potential nfl caliber player ( the type who need development ) is going to risk playing a full contact sport for no money . You can't have a minor leagues in a sport like football . Guys are better off training on their own and trying to catch on than they are blowing out their knee for 8k a year. Even a real developmental league like the G league loses it's best players to Europe and that's in a sport where injury is far less likely