• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad the AL won so I can catch a WS game or two up in Cleveland.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Tibet fans already getting ready for the WS.
BAWWWWHAAAAA
. Past history means nuttin to them.
Yep...it's all locked up for Cleveland. ..

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st game back.
Verlander vs. Kennedy.
Verlander breaks one off in the royals..
Indians officially start to worry. Down ward spiral of indians will not be far off.
Of course I called it 2 weeks ago.
ShoT calling......it's what I do best

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st game back.
Verlander vs. Kennedy.
Verlander breaks one off in the royals..
Indians officially start to worry. Down ward spiral of indians will not be far off.
Of course I called it 2 weeks ago.
ShoT calling......it's what I do best

Throwing shlt on a wall and seeing what sticks is what you do best. (The walls stay pretty clean here, luckily)

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let me know if i'am ever wrong

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyman - Hosmer And The Royals' Closing World Series Window - TKB

Nothing says "$200M" like a 1B with a career 110 wRC+ and 6.5 fWAR in 5.5 seasons.
/Shrugs

There's reason to believe he's a 130 wRC+ player going forward. His defense has always been pretty overrated from just a range perspective, however. But yeah, it's really funny to hear 200M comments for a 1B of his track record. I'd rather just trade him and just replace him with some piecemeal platoon ala Jaso/Shorthand.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy..why don't you tell us how the central is going to turn out? Grow a pair....

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy..why don't you tell us how the central is going to turn out? Grow a pair....

Coming into the season, I thought the Tigers had a shot, but wasn't sure. Then Miami Vice picked the Indians to win the Central, and KC to flop. To me, that seemed to indicated that the Tribe was doomed and that the Royals would have another strong year. Then dougplayer, as usual, predicted the Tigers would dominate the AL Central. THAT was the Kiss of Death for the Tigers, considering doug's awful past predictions - in any sport.

Of course the Twins are bad and the White Sox have Avisail Garcia. So where does that leave the AL Central? Well, one of the four mediocre teams will have to win. The Tigers have a shot, the Indians a better shot. But I will admit.....I would really get a kick out of the Royals winning it again, just to make Vice (and dougy) squirm for another year. LOL

But dougy boy....do you REALLY think the Tigers can win consistently with the rotation they have? (duh, what a dumb question to ask....doug thinks Verlander is in line for MVP)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell does Avisail still have a job? He's batting .232/.301/.332 (74 OPS+) and has -2.6 fWAR in 360 career games (over two seasons worth).

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But dougy boy....do you REALLY think the Tigers can win consistently with the rotation they have? (duh, what a dumb question to ask....doug thinks Verlander is in line for MVP)

You need good, consistent pitching to sustain a few winning streaks -- those 8-of-10, 12-of-15 streaks you need once in a while to contend for first place in your division. Hitting alone cannot sustain such streaks, as hitting comes and goes too much and you're going to face some tough pitchers in any stretch of games. You have to be able win some games where your offense scores only 2 or 3 runs, and the Tigers have rarely done that this year.

Thus, the Tigers are who we thought they were .... a .500 team that looks like they might get on a roll, only to have two or three straight clunkers from the starters, with a bullpen blowup mixed in.

It was mentioned on the Tiger board (and I think here too) that the one wild card that could push the Tigers enough over .500 to contend was Anibal Sanchez. If he could return to 2012-2013 form, with say two really good starts every three outings, the Tigers had a shot at the division. Alas, we haven't seen that Sanchez this year (and maybe never will again), and save for Michael Fulmer, there hasn't been enough help from the minor league system to make up that loss.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need good, consistent pitching to sustain a few winning streaks -- those 8-of-10, 12-of-15 streaks you need once in a while to contend for first place in your division. Hitting alone cannot sustain such streaks, as hitting comes and goes too much and you're going to face some tough pitchers in any stretch of games. You have to be able win some games where your offense scores only 2 or 3 runs, and the Tigers have rarely done that this year.

Thus, the Tigers are who we thought they were .... a .500 team that looks like they might get on a roll, only to have two or three straight clunkers from the starters, with a bullpen blowup mixed in.

It was mentioned on the Tiger board (and I think here too) that the one wild card that could push the Tigers enough over .500 to contend was Anibal Sanchez. If he could return to 2012-2013 form, with say two really good starts every three outings, the Tigers had a shot at the division. Alas, we haven't seen that Sanchez this year (and maybe never will again), and save for Michael Fulmer, there hasn't been enough help from the minor league system to make up that loss.

Throw in my worry that Zimmermann's April was an illusion. If Zimmermann comes back and pitches much like he did in May and June....Tigers are toast. And, unless you wear "Dougplayer's Official Tigers Homer Glasses", you have to admit that Zimmerman is not, and never should have been, considered a true Ace in the same class as Sale, Kershaw, Bumgarner, etc. Right now Detroit's 'Boy Ace' is Michael Fulmer with Zimmermann (if healthy) and Verlander as mid-rotation starters. The rest? Various shades of #5 starters. Illitch WILL sell what is left of the farm system to land a pitcher....but Avila Sr is going to have to pull off a near miracle to make some GM think Detroit's minor league system is filled with sparkling treasures. :)

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies.
Tigers need zimmy back.
JD back.
Need upton to do some thing at the plate.
And......better bull pen.
Tigers would walk away from the fading indians.
You forgot we lost JD. and ZIMMY.
plus Upton is a bust

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies.
Tigers need zimmy back.
JD back.
Need upton to do some thing at the plate.
And......better bull pen.
Tigers would walk away from the fading indians.
You forgot we lost JD. and ZIMMY.
plus Upton is a bust

Good EXCUSES, doug! Do you think the Tigers are the ONLY team that have had injuries to key players? Brantley and Carasco in Clev for example, or Moustakis and Gordon in KC
Cleveland has won 16 of their last 22 games....how is that fading doug? Stop your stupid crap.