• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A discussion about CFB transfers

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing I don't understand are the kids that really can't cut it and will transfer to a much smaller school to play and leave a full ride at a serious major university. The amount of kids that don't put the value on a solid free education is just mind boggling to me.

If you can't cut it in a major conference your chances of playing at the next level are virtually zero so get an education and do something with your life.

Just because the university has a bigger more known name doesnt mean the education is better.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the recruiting sites have a lot to do with it. 1. We're more aware than we ever were about recruits and how good they're "supposed to be" based on ranking and 2. Recruits have an over-inflated sense of worth because of that same ranking and the popularity they get with it. So when they end up on campus and end up being behind someone, they immediately transfer.

I agree with you on the recruiting sites, but I think it's more that a freshman QB sees that his school just recruited a 5 star player (or a 4), and doesn't think he can compete. I think the idea of being buried behind a younger player scares them. I'm ok with transfers, but I think you have to keep the one year waiting period in place, otherwise it's basically free agency (or just find a Relative who lives close to the school you want to transfer to, and convince everyone that they are really sick)

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This to me is becoming more and more common. How do you feel about it? Are you on the side of the fence that believes the kids should be more accountable and honor their commits? Or do you take up the defense of the student athlete and believe if they aren't playing let them transfer.

The reason I ask is because Oregon has been hammered by transfers this year. I, as a fan of a team that never had the issue because the team never was stacked with depth.

You fans of teams with winning traditions and big time depth... Are you used to several transfers per offseason?

Or is this alarming? To me it makes me wonder... WTF is going on @ Oregon!!!!

2014 offseason transfers

LB Oshay Dunmore
LB Tyrell Robinson
LB Brett Bafaro
QB jake Rodrigues
QB Damion Hobbs
WR Eric Dungy
DB Eric Amoako
P Dylan Ausherman

Now, a few of these guys had discipline problems and a few others were buried on the depth chart. But still, it makes me wonder if new DC Don Pellum is too much of a hard ass and or HC Helfrich and Pellum are not what these players desire at HC and DC.

It is a head scratcher. If you read this, thank you. Your opinion on the matter is appreciated.

Signed, Concerned Oregon Ducks fan....

To me, these kids should show these programs the exact amount of commitment these programs show these kids.

Absolutely zero.

If schools are allowed to sign and sign and sign and then dump the leftovers without so much as a thank you, then these kids should be allowed to up and go where they want with no more than a "go fuck yourself".

What's good for the goose and all that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's great. Free market in action.

Sure, lots of times I'd like to have more depth and want to keep all the players. But at the same time I realize the transfer is likely happening because the player realizes they would never take the starting job without the injury, and that makes room for new recruits who come in and may do it.

We lost a backup center this off season and that one scares me the most. He started a few games last year filling in for our starter and did a good job for the most part, outside a tell he had and needed to be worked on.

We lost 2 QBs. 1 was a walk on that will be starting at Oregon St probably. I liked him, hated to see him go, but I understand why he left. He's just doing what's best for him, I couldn't believe he walked on to begin with.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If schools are allowed to sign and sign and sign and then dump the leftovers without so much as a thank you,

That rarely if ever actually happens.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, these kids should show these programs the exact amount of commitment these programs show these kids.

Absolutely zero.

If schools are allowed to sign and sign and sign and then dump the leftovers without so much as a thank you, then these kids should be allowed to up and go where they want with no more than a "go fuck yourself".

What's good for the goose and all that.

I do believe that scholarships should be for 4 years. If you get kicked out of school, fine, but if you are in good standing at the school, your athletic scholarship should carry you all the way through.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe that scholarships should be for 4 years. If you get kicked out of school, fine, but if you are in good standing at the school, your athletic scholarship should carry you all the way through.

Yeah, lets make college football full of a JaMarcus Russells where you don't have to do anything and still maintain your scholarship.

How dare the people who are getting a free education for playing football actually be held to a standard to keep it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing I don't understand are the kids that really can't cut it and will transfer to a much smaller school to play and leave a full ride at a serious major university. The amount of kids that don't put the value on a solid free education is just mind boggling to me.

If you can't cut it in a major conference your chances of playing at the next level are virtually zero so get an education and do something with your life.

I dont necessarily agree with this. Kids leave for a lot of reasons. Fans tend to just say it is because they could not make the depth chart. That does happen, but family issues and general home sickness is a major part also. At the end of day, I fine with transfers. I actually think they are a good thing. If a kid is not happy at the school, it is unlikely he will end up making a difference or realizing his potential. Also, you really do not want unhappy kids in the program. That can negatively effect those around them. Another positive is the transfer opens up a spot for a kid that wants to be in the program.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, lets make college football full of a JaMarcus Russells where you don't have to do anything and still maintain your scholarship.

How dare the people who are getting a free education for playing football actually be held to a standard to keep it.

Its a double edged sword, I could simply respond how dare people hold a coach accountable for his evaluations.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...or how dare DGB be let onto OU's roster.

:plotting:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a double edged sword, I could simply respond how dare people hold a coach accountable for his evaluations.

It's not a matter of evaluation, it's a matter of competition.

Kids that transfer are still getting an education. All that needs to be changed is the schools shouldn't have so much say on who they transfer too.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully the coaches target players with high enough character that this wouldn't be a huge problem. Certainly, if you lose your scholarship you shouldnt be expected to sit out a year when transferring.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the coaches target players with high enough character that this wouldn't be a huge problem. Certainly, if you lose your scholarship you shouldnt be expected to sit out a year when transferring.

Players that are doing what they need to do get full scholarships already however.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of evaluation, it's a matter of competition.

Kids that transfer are still getting an education. All that needs to be changed is the schools shouldn't have so much say on who they transfer too.

Not the deal the University made. Coach said give me your best and you have a shot to play and get an education at my University. He didnt say if I get someone else in I will run you out, no matter your effort level. Player gets good grades, stays out of trouble, and has good work ethic, the failure is on the coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the deal the University made. Coach said give me your best and you have a shot to play and get an education at my University. He didnt say if I get someone else in I will run you out, no matter your effort level. Player gets good grades, stays out of trouble, and has good work ethic, the failure is on the coach.

Saban tells kids they are on 1 year scholarships and have to earn it.

But I don't know that he runs anyone out of town. There are and have been plenty of players that stay their full time and never start. Usually the players leave on their own because they want a chance to play. It's most common with QB's.

And really, where are all these kids that are being screwed over? I hear about the problem, but never any real examples.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban tells kids they are on 1 year scholarships and have to earn it.

But I don't know that he runs anyone out of town. There are and have been plenty of players that stay their full time and never start. Usually the players leave on their own because they want a chance to play. It's most common with QB's.

And really, where are all these kids that are being screwed over? I hear about the problem, but never any real examples.

Was a story about a kid that Spurrier ran out. It happens. People also fail to factor the difference in degrees. Assume a kid is run out of UCLA (since I never see those fans) and ends up at Texas State. Kid has been harmed.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players that are doing what they need to do get full scholarships already however.

So on what basis does a scholarship get pulled? And does it ever really happen, or is this an issue that comes up once every 5-10 years. I don't know the magnitude of the issue, so if it only happens once every few years, it probably OT a big issue.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This to me is becoming more and more common. How do you feel about it? Are you on the side of the fence that believes the kids should be more accountable and honor their commits? Or do you take up the defense of the student athlete and believe if they aren't playing let them transfer.

The reason I ask is because Oregon has been hammered by transfers this year. I, as a fan of a team that never had the issue because the team never was stacked with depth.

You fans of teams with winning traditions and big time depth... Are you used to several transfers per offseason?

Or is this alarming? To me it makes me wonder... WTF is going on @ Oregon!!!!

2014 offseason transfers

LB Oshay Dunmore
LB Tyrell Robinson
LB Brett Bafaro
QB jake Rodrigues
QB Damion Hobbs
WR Eric Dungy
DB Eric Amoako
P Dylan Ausherman

Now, a few of these guys had discipline problems and a few others were buried on the depth chart. But still, it makes me wonder if new DC Don Pellum is too much of a hard ass and or HC Helfrich and Pellum are not what these players desire at HC and DC.

It is a head scratcher. If you read this, thank you. Your opinion on the matter is appreciated.

Signed, Concerned Oregon Ducks fan....
-------
I think you pretty much answered your own question, anytime you have new coaches your going to have disgruntled players---as said players were recruited by someone else. And while I think the players have a right to switch, maybe switching is too easy right now.

If you're the last of five 5 star RBs that were recruited the same year....if you don't start, then maybe you weren't a 5 star to begin with?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a story about a kid that Spurrier ran out. It happens. People also fail to factor the difference in degrees. Assume a kid is run out of UCLA (since I never see those fans) and ends up at Texas State. Kid has been harmed.

Harmed except for the fact it was an offer to begin with anyway.

I'd be fine with 4 year scholarships so long as they aren't directly tied to the team. IE: You can cut a kid from the team, and they are still able to finish school. Like a medical scholarship.