• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 team playoff

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes total sense...especially the "so little cross conference play." That really puts them in the Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess bind. They do the best they can with that limited data.

Everyone just need to stop with the "best four" bullshit. That becomes a load of crap if they are putting restrictions or qualifiers on the best four.
Best four isn't that far removed from four most deserving.

Again, some up here complain that losing your conference should auto eliminate you and some wouldn't care if all 4 were from the same conference if they really were the best that year.

Allowing 1 alternate from the same conference, but not two doesn't seem unfair or unreasonable. It allows for both the team that did win, and the next best a chance to still go to the show while also acknowledging the best of the rest might be better than perceived and should have diversity enough within that final 4 to truly test that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I't my opinion. How can my opinion be wrong? You are welcome to disagree but who are you to say I'm wrong?
No one has ever said an opinion of yours was wrong and offered their own as a rebuttal before?

Weird.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, here's the tricky part again...

The P5 conferences are not created equal. Yes, that should be obvious, but it's profound when it comes to doing this top level final 4 selection. There is so little cross conference play that it is mostly eye test from one entirely different group against another.

While I wouldn't have a problem with 3 SEC teams going in if they were indeed seen as 3 of the top 4, I also don't have a big problem with limiting it to 2 with the idea that optics may be skewed drawing too many from one closed pool.

The other way to look at it is you are already taking one team that didn't win their conference so select the best of the ones remaining and tell #3 to do more next year and make at least their top 2.

I will be downright shocked if there are ever 3 teams from the same conference in the playoffs.

The conference championship games do eliminate 1 team I think basically always, unless the other team is just not good in which case the loser may go on but the winner wouldn't(if Florida had beat Alabama in 2016 for example). But when it comes to 3 good teams, I think it eliminates one, kind of like Auburn last year.

I won't say it's impossible because as soon as I do 3 of the other 4 conferences will go out there and have their best team with 3 wins or something crazy because it's college football. But I think I would place money on it not happening in the next 20 years. I'd bet longer, but need to have time to enjoy it the winnings.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I't my opinion. How can my opinion be wrong? You are welcome to disagree but who are you to say I'm wrong?
You facepalm my response, but you offered up no type of addition to the conversation. What would you expect as a response when yours was just pissing about someone daring to challenge an opinion of yours?

I'd be happy to address specific merits of the conversation if you offered something up on them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Opinions are wrong all the time.

You have a right to your opinion, that doesn't mean your opinion is right.

Holy fucking shit.

oLIVTyY.gif

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just doesn't translate to top 5 without playing and beating a high ranked team which seldom happens.
I disagree. In my opinion, I think those good G5s you are talking about have a better chance of playing and beating a highly ranked P5 team on a one time shot than they do of surviving the grind of a week in, week out P5 schedule.

Let me use 2010 TCU as an example. They beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. I'm also convinced they could have beaten Oregon and Auburn in a one game series as well...just because of how they matched up as much as anything. No way TCU would have finished the regular season as well as Wisconsin, Oregon and Auburn did that year. They wouldn't have been able to survive the grind those conferences would have put them through.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions are wrong all the time.

You have a right to your opinion, that doesn't mean your opinion is right.

Holy fucking shit.

oLIVTyY.gif
:lol:

And he face palmed me for simply saying it's weird that no one has challenged his before. :L

It's not like I went all ATF on him or something.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because conferences are magical and the best 4 teams are automatically spread out among them! It's down right impossible that the more than 1 of the 4 best teams could come from the same conference.
1532265638_18153576035b5484a60c1003.57559842_sarcasm_meter.gif

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. In my opinion, I think those good G5s you are talking about have a better chance of playing and beating a highly ranked P5 team on a one time shot than they do of surviving the grind of a week in, week out P5 schedule.

Let me use 2010 TCU as an example. They beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. I'm also convinced they could have beaten Oregon and Auburn in a one game series as well...just because of how they matched up as much as anything. No way TCU would have finished the regular season as well as Wisconsin, Oregon and Auburn did that year. They wouldn't have been able to survive the grind those conferences would have put them through.
I don't see how we are disagreeing then because that is true.

I argued endlessly with smilesid and a few other Boise honks that believed their teams would run through any P5 schedule just as easily as they were their Mac or MWC.

There are a few P5 teams in every conference that will physically beat the ever loving crap out of your players, win or lose you come out bruised. That's why it's an apples to oranges comparison to attempt to paint undefeated G5's along undefeated P5's. Those undefeated or one loss P5's for sure had tougher challenges and played more physical games against bigger and stronger athletes.

So sure, going into a game later in the year like bowl season gives the tougher G5 teams an advantage over similar P5 teams. They should be fresher and less injured on average.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

And he face palmed me for simply saying it's weird that no one has challenged his before. :L

It's not like I went all ATF on him or something.

I can not believe he just said that.

That's some next level Oscar shit there.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of like Auburn last year.
Honest questions 4d. At the end of the regular season last year, I didn't think Bama or Auburn were good because of injuries and just flat out being beat up. You guys looked that way against Auburn and Auburn looked that way against Georgia. I know a lot of teams are that way at the end of the year. But most of the others didn't look that way to me in their CCGs...including Georgia. They looked a lot fresher in the SEC CCG.

Were my eyes deceiving me or not?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest questions 4d. At the end of the regular season last year, I didn't think Bama or Auburn were good because of injuries and just flat out being beat up. You guys looked that way against Auburn and Auburn looked that way against Georgia. I know a lot of teams are that way at the end of the year. But most of the others didn't look that way to me in their CCGs...including Georgia. They looked a lot fresher in the SEC CCG.

Were my eyes deceiving me or not?

Nope, that's basically what happened. Auburn's RB was basically done for as I recall with a shoulder injury. It was an extremely physical game.

There use to be a bye week before the SECCG, but it's gone now.

Alabama was just starting to get healthy at linebacker when we played Auburn. I think we got a couple of guys back for that game who had been out for the season, but it was their first playing time etc and not sure they were 100%. The extra time healing certainly helped going into the playoffs. Offensively we had obvious issues was the biggest deal though.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me create a different scenario for this season...and it is a
possibility. Much more so than lately.

Suppose Bama runs the table and there is no other team from
any league with less than two losses. Why would Bama have to
prove themselves? Why would we even have a playoff this year?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Alabama truly deserved it, they wouldn't have a problem winning the playoffs and proving it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

200.gif

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This again? I'd prefer they go to 6 or 8 max with some autobids just to get the dumbass committee as completely removed from everything as possible.

But if you're not going to expand or remove the committee then at least remove the conference championship games and have the committee rank the teams after everybody plays 12 games. That way you don't have teams getting punished for making the conference championship game or being rewarded for sitting at home doing nothing.

This will never happen because of the $ associated with the conference championship games obviously, but it would make things less retarded.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The job of the committee is to determine the four best teams. What he posted above was the first time I had seen anyone question whether Alabama should have gotten into the playoffs over Ohio State last year. First, Ohio State had two losses. Second, does anyone who watched Alabama last year have any doubt they were the best team in college football? On a neutral site, anything could happen, and we did have two overtime games in the playoffs that proved it, but at the end of season, was it really questionable if Alabama was the best team?

I found it really weird that he was comparing Ohio State to Alabama. Has there even been a two loss playoff team? I thought it was a "no brainer" decision by the committee that Bama got in the playoffs ahead of Ohio State last season.
I’m not sure I could say Bama was the “best team” UCF threw a big question mark in that. One of the biggest problems with the current play off selection. Is that it’s based on a committee it’s subjectibe like the AP and coaches polls. Too much human influence. I have said OSU should have been in the had the stronger resume and a conference championship.

Under the current conference formats. Some playing 4 OOC games and some playing 3 it’s impossible to gauge. If the Ohio State is on a 3 game OOC doe they even play Iowa? Or is it more impressive to play a nonFBS team like Mercer? Ironic thing is take away the neutral site game against a bad FSU team. Bamas schedule really wasn’t different from Washington in 2016 that ESPN and the pollsters questioned and mocked. Where as OSU had 2 P5 one being Oklahoma and a G5. Bama had 2 G5 and an FCS team which P5/G5 shouldn’t even be playing tbh.

Under the current set up the spots are more comparable to a popularity contest. Rather than based on actual SOS. Punishing teams for playing stronger competition and rewarding those who play weaker comp.

Hell SC finished 3rd in the country in 2016 and they weren’t in the play offs, UCF was rightfully awarded a recognized national championship last season. Anything can happen in the play offs no one expected OSU’s natty...To me best teams are decided on the field . Conference championships need to hold more weight as does actual SOS.

If they want a true champ they have to expand and set a criteria imo. Way too much human error and and influence. Thats been pretty clear over the past two years this year may be a bigger mess

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the term "mid major" is created by a program like Wake Forest ( no insult @Hitman Hart ) who have never accomplish anything before and it's just a way to undermind and insult other programs who don't have the revenue and etc...

It makes little to no sense. It's even worse in College Basketball. It's toxic and whoever created it needs to have a talking to.

It feels like we're talking iin circles about the same thing for years now which is the first sign of a flawed system. I just say this... This G5 / P5 thing has brought out the most delusional and superiority complex of fans. It's fascinating to watch.
I agree G5 and P5 are both FBS in the end. And tbh I think UCF made a major statement last year. I’m for play off expansio including G5.Also for dropping FCS games and replacing them with either G5 or P5 match ups they’re both FBS

G5 having a separate play offs makes no sense they’re FBS schools point blank D1. We aren’t talking FCS teams....

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 team playoff only because I'm selfish and want more important college football games before the long winter-spring-summer layoff.