• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5/11 GDT B squad @ Kershaw

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not down on the pen, they have to give up a run or 3 sometime.

This is a good team we got here.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And his OBP is very respectable, so he walks enough to make the BA ok.

.757 OPS, most home runs from our 2nd basemen since 2010, and it's May. He's also providing better defense than Scutaro too, not quite Freddy Sanchez level, but he's been excellent over there so far. Him and Craw are really making a great combo.

Boch trusts him a lot too. That is enough for me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.757 OPS, most home runs from our 2nd basemen since 2010, and it's May. He's also providing better defense than Scutaro too, not quite Freddy Sanchez level, but he's been excellent over there so far. Him and Craw are really making a great combo.

Boch trusts him a lot too. That is enough for me.

Also, since the Giants are shifting more than they ever have, he's got a SS arm and can throw out LH batters from the "hole" in short RF.

The average has to come up some though. .200 is ungood.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that BA is over-rated. Hicks is example 1 as to why it is a "pretty" stat only, and should not be used as anything other than window-dressing.

Dude has been clutch. When he does hit, ballgofar. I would rather a guy get 1 key hit every 3rd game than have a worthless hit every game. This is what Hicks gives.

As for his D, he started off real shaky, but he has turned it around and has really gelled with Craw.

Nice pick-up!!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that BA is over-rated. Hicks is example 1 as to why it is a "pretty" stat only, and should not be used as anything other than window-dressing.

Dude has been clutch. When he does hit, ballgofar. I would rather a guy get 1 key hit every 3rd game than have a worthless hit every game. This is what Hicks gives.

As for his D, he started off real shaky, but he has turned it around and has really gelled with Craw.

Nice pick-up!!

Hicks, Vogey, and Morse (probably in that order IMO) have been the nicest upside surprises so far this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hicks, Vogey, and Morse (probably in that order IMO) have been the nicest upside surprises so far this year.

I would agree with those 3, but I would reverse the order.

I was quite negative on the Morse signing, but he has been a beast, and has become one of my favorite players on this year's squad.

Vogey is on his way to becoming a big story, but he needs a few more good games under his belt before I will call him "back". But WOW, what a 3-game string he has put together...

Hicks is nice, but lets still keep things in perspective. We like him BECAUSE we had no expectations from him. If Panik continues to perform in Fresno, the job is available to him. If Hicks were making any money, we would be much more critical of his production. This may seem counter to my last post, but I don't think it is. It is all based on expectations.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with those 3, but I would reverse the order.

I was quite negative on the Morse signing, but he has been a beast, and has become one of my favorite players on this year's squad.

Vogey is on his way to becoming a big story, but he needs a few more good games under his belt before I will call him "back". But WOW, what a 3-game string he has put together...

Hicks is nice, but lets still keep things in perspective. We like him BECAUSE we had no expectations from him. If Panik continues to perform in Fresno, the job is available to him. If Hicks were making any money, we would be much more critical of his production. This may seem counter to my last post, but I don't think it is. It is all based on expectations.

I have Hicks first because I expected absolutely nothing useful from him. If you look at his MLB history it's a joke. Now he has a .785 OPS and leads the team in dWAR. All this at a position where we desperately needed help.

Vogey for me is #2 with a bullet. We needed a #5 starter and he has given us that - maybe even #4. I honestly expected nothing from him either, and for a while I was unfortunately right.

I expected something from Morse, and we got it, so he's less of an upside surprise for me than Hicks or Vogey. He's in a mini-slump right now, so that knocked him down my list. His glovework has even stepped up.

Nice thing to debate.

:suds:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Hicks first because I expected absolutely nothing useful from him. If you look at his MLB history it's a joke. Now he has a .785 OPS and leads the team in dWAR. All this at a position where we desperately needed help.

Vogey for me is #2 with a bullet. We needed a #5 starter and he has given us that - maybe even #4. I honestly expected nothing from him either, and for a while I was unfortunately right.

I expected something from Morse, and we got it, so he's less of an upside surprise for me than Hicks or Vogey. He's in a mini-slump right now, so that knocked him down my list. His glovework has even stepped up.

Nice thing to debate.

:suds:

Question #1) Who is the best surprise on the team?

Question #2) Who is the biggest disappointment on the team?

Which are we discussing? Which would HWWNBN be discussing?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

File this one under: Things Not To Give a Shit About

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best surprise has to be HRicks
Biggest disappointment for me is Scoots.

Toolish would say that as soon as Romo gave up the HR to HanRam, the game and season was over. A team cannot come back from that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best surprise has to be HRicks
Biggest disappointment for me is Scoots.

Toolish would say that as soon as Romo gave up the HR to HanRam, the game and season was over. A team cannot come back from that.

LOL

I was not posing the questions for debate, tz. I was making a point about the discussion we were having :)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1) Biggest surprise for me is Hicks.

#2) Biggest disappointment is a tie between Timmah and Panda. Both may come around, but unless Timmah can turn himself into Huddy (a brilliant signing just for that possible influence alone!), he will be off to the pen or the expensive long man. We used to complain about Tomko and his 5.00+ ERA every year. Timmy can only dream of such an ERA these days. His ERA is 5.55 and his WHIP is 1.71! Even in 2012, his worst year, his ERA was 5.18 and his WHIP was only 1.47.

Panda seems to have let the contract talks/non-talks get into his head. His defense has been solid, but he has been clueless at the plate. Last night was a good sign for him, against good Dog pitching. Let's hope it continues. With Belt down, we cannot afford for Panda to be hitting like Blanco.

And I know I have been riding Guppy's case so far, but how can a major league hitter begin 4-40. Didn't we ride Frenchy out of town on a rail for a similar performance last year? OK, OK, Guppy plays some good "D", but we can't carry ALL these guys who are hitting under two bucks. (Perez, Blanco, EA, Hicks, Panda, Arias.) Seems like Perez and Guppy are on very thin ice, which is one reason Colvin is here.