• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabner would have been interesting. Adding a shooter (25 g - 6 a) on a team of passers probably wold have worked out. I can live without Maroon. 14 goals and 16 a's having played a lot with McDavid.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabner would've been a nice addition for us, but he's just a rental and we would've been giving one of our top rivals a 2nd round pick this year, plus a prospect. I think it's too steep of a price and it helps them improve long term more than it does us short term. Basically, I'm surprised that NJ went for it. Now they only have one pick in the first three rounds of the 2018 draft. We have four of them, including two in the first.
Getting Grabner would've kept him away from the Devils which would've been ideal for us. The prospect wouldve been someone who wont be making our team in the future and the 2nd round pick would be very low in the 2nd round next year. Well now we just have to win without him

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabner would have been interesting. Adding a shooter (25 g - 6 a) on a team of passers probably wold have worked out. I can live without Maroon. 14 goals and 16 a's having played a lot with McDavid.
Grabner would've been great as a penalty killer. Hes not much of a shooter 25G's. Seven of those were empty nets and most of the others were breakaways, hes really fast.I wanted Maroon as he is way better than Weise . He is a huge player in which that body type is built for a playoff run and i dont know if we will be able to win the cup with both Lehtera and Weise. Guess well just have to keep winning anyway.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of good conversation here, too many to quote so I will say I agree with most of you and give you likes instead. FFF gets the 'winner' for the question haha

My stance:

The Flyers aren't a true contender this season to me in the sense that pre-deadline moves they were too many pieces away. So you look at teams like Nashville and Tampa pre-deadline, on paper they're significantly better than the Flyers. Their time is now, so you know they're making big moves at the deadline (which they did). So for the Flyers to get closer to that 'cup contender' level, not only do they have to 'out buy' Nashville and Tampa, they have to do it and cover the difference between the teams pre-deadline.

Let's look at TB vs PHI:

Giroux/Couturier/Konecny vs Kunitz/Stamkos/Kucherov (Push?)
Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek vs Killorn/Point/Gourde (Edge to PHI)
Weal/Laughton/Simmonds vs Erne/Johnson/Callahan (Push)
Lehtera/Filpula/Weiss vs Koekkoek*/Paquette/Conacher (Signficant edge TB)

Provorov/Ghost vs Hedman/Stralman (Slight Edge to TB)
Hagg/MacDonald vs McDonagh/Sergachev (Massive edge to TB)
Manning/Gudas vs Coburn/Girardi (Significant edge to TB)

Mrazek/Elliot vs Vasilevsky (Significant edge to TB)

So on paper, they'd probably need to upgrade the 4th line, but the FWD lines are probably ok. You get in to an issue with D and goaltending though. They need a McDonagh level guy to anchor the 2nd pair and a significant upgrade over Manning (and Gudas hasn't played great this year either). Plus Vasilevsky is one of the best goalies in the league. Mrazek and Elliot have played well, but not Vezina caliber.

Let's equate the McDonagh/Miller deal for TB to take care of the 4th line upgrade and major D upgrade. Probably looking at giving up:

Namestnikov -> Laughton (if we're lucky)
Howden -> Rubtsov
Hajek -> Morin

So Laughton, Rubtsov, Morin, 1st, and 2nd.

Then you need a bottom pair upgrade, Ian Cole fits the bill. That was a 3rd round pick and Moutrey (seems like an AHL guy). So call it a 3rd round pick and Bardreau. (Calling up Sanheim might get them to

So all told, you're giving up Laughton, Rubtsov, Morin, Bardreau, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to get about even in skaters and you're still facing a superior goalie in TB. IMO that's too much.

Give it a year or two when you have Sanheim as the in-house McDonagh. Myers is your Cole. Frost, Aube-Kubel, Rubtsov, upgrade your bottom 6. Hart upgrades goaltending. Then you start moving picks/prospects to upgrade even further. You'll have the two 1st round picks from this season as prospects, plus future 1st round picks to work with. Then you're in business.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously anything can happen. An 'inferior on paper' Flyers team could beat a loaded Tampa team in a playoff series. But the same goes the other way. A superior Flyers team could shit the bed and lose to the Devils. It's just not worth the risk right now to me. Enjoy the run their on and hope something crazy happens. The Cup window is just now starting to creep open.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously anything can happen. An 'inferior on paper' Flyers team could beat a loaded Tampa team in a playoff series. But the same goes the other way. A superior Flyers team could shit the bed and lose to the Devils. It's just not worth the risk right now to me. Enjoy the run their on and hope something crazy happens. The Cup window is just now starting to creep open.
I'm not sure what TB's record since the all star break is but i think they saw that we have been the better team since then and decided to make the trades to push themselves back ahead of us. I think the way we are playing the last few months we are just as good if not better than anyone in the eastern conference. I think if we had figured out our lines earlier and had a full year of non injured Patrick we could have points in the mid 80's just like they do.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely good points I guess I was thinking that it would be somewhere a lot less than what Boston, Tampa and Nash did and just snagging a guy like grabner. Just a little addition that may give them a shot in the arm. I can live with waiting until next year to start playing hardball as a rental can end up being a waste as you say. But damn one of those lesser guys would have helped a bit.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what TB's record since the all star break is but i think they saw that we have been the better team since then and decided to make the trades to push themselves back ahead of us. I think the way we are playing the last few months we are just as good if not better than anyone in the eastern conference. I think if we had figured out our lines earlier and had a full year of non injured Patrick we could have points in the mid 80's just like they do.
Another point is that they are in a shit division how many free wins did they get this year? TB, Boston and Toronto are a little inflated. Not saying they are shit but quite a few easy points.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should've went after Maroon and Grabner. The Devils gave a 2nd rounder for him and if we are going to be as good as we should be next year that pick will be in the 50-60 best player range. With Maroon they gave up a third round pick and a marginal prospect. With those two i believe we had a shot to win it this season instead of waiting for next season where we may have injuries or guys may slump. So im always in favor of improving the team.

We also could've kept them from going to a team in our own division who we already have trouble beating.
just some clarity here on part of the reason Hexy didn't make any moves. Our 2018 2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks and our 2019 3rd round pick are currently tied up in Mrazek deal until we see how that plays out. So really, all Hexy could deal are 1sts and prospects, which I would consider an over pay for any of the players that got moved given our current situation.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just some clarity here on part of the reason Hexy didn't make any moves. Our 2018 2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks and our 2019 3rd round pick are currently tied up in Mrazek deal until we see how that plays out. So really, all Hexy could deal are 1sts and prospects, which I would consider an over pay for any of the players that got moved given our current situation.
Good point! Trading a first would have been a rental like Stastny which is great but under the circumstances probably not worth risk reward as others have said.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hexy is just trusting the process but also instilling a lot of confidence in our current rookies moving forward. Hell, even a guy like Lehtera that was watching us play games earlier this season now looks like a legit Nhl player. Everyone is improving drastically throughout the season and we're getting better as a team because of it. Like Konecny said in that article, I don't think we're done yet either.

For example, if a guy like Lindblom sticks around after Simmonds returns healthy, we just became a deeper team at forward. If Mrazek can continue to do what he's done in the postseason, but for us, we're going to win more often with him than we would with Elliott or Neuvy. You never know, maybe Oduya plays and ends up being an improvement over our #6. He's certainly been there and done that, so he can mentor the younger guys, even if he doesn't actually play.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize this i guess there was a good reason not to make any moves thanks!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good points to all.
I dont think it was worth trading 1st or second rounders for the grabners and maroons.

Its better to deal at the draft. We will have 2 first round picks and a stocked cupboards of prospects including a few D-men that are NHL ready.

This team is in a great situation to win now and to be plugging prospects down the road.

the Job Hextall has done and in part Holmgen has been nothing but briliant.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3