• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps he didn't want to come to Philly? Something happened to him here before so who knows...

He didn't have an NTC so it really wouldn't matter if he wanted or didn't want to come to Philly. He gets that privilege next season when hes a UFA. I think it was more of a case of Hexy not wanting to ruin our MoJo we have built up in the last half of the season and not wanting to trade away assets for a rental.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems super weird to say given the first couple months, but they don't need to win every game down the stretch now. I definitely wouldn't ride Mrazek through back to backs. No reason to, his health is much more important than those wins.

No, we don't have to win every game, but we will have to win often to secure the division title. If that's not a goal for us, then nevermind. Otherwise, I would try not to have Lyon in net for us.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't have an NTC so it really wouldn't matter if he wanted or didn't want to come to Philly. He gets that privilege next season when hes a UFA. I think it was more of a case of Hexy not wanting to ruin our MoJo we have built up in the last half of the season and not wanting to trade away assets for a rental.
I guess my point is that it could have been mutual. Flyers traded him for a reason. I remember something happened in the ahl.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to hear everyone's take on this. Hexy made a comment about not mortgaging the future but every year the true contenders normally make at least one rental trade to get over the hump. You can only do so much due to the cap so this allows you to add enough to get better. I see pit doing this every year and winning. My worry is that if Hexy won't do this in the coming years will they fall short because they didn't do enough? What do you think? I'm not talking blockbuster but what the Jets did with Stastny as an example. He's sure to help them...

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to hear everyone's take on this. Hexy made a comment about not mortgaging the future but every year the true contenders normally make at least one rental trade to get over the hump. You can only do so much due to the cap so this allows you to add enough to get better. I see pit doing this every year and winning. My worry is that if Hexy won't do this in the coming years will they fall short because they didn't do enough? What do you think? I'm not talking blockbuster but what the Jets did with Stastny as an example. He's sure to help them...

What I posted on another site:

The moves by Pittsburgh and Philly were low risk moves with the potential for a high reward. Pittsburgh's bottom 6 has been a bit of a train wreck all year. There is little doubt that Brassard should be able to come in and upgrade the bottom 6. The question is simply, "how much?", but it could be a lot.

The Flyers picked up a talented goalie who has the potential to be really good, in which case it was a major upgrade. Worst case he doesn't play well but geez, they weren't going to get good goaltending with their top 2 hurt anyway.

The moves made by Tampa and Winnipeg carry much more risk. Yes, they got good players who in theory appear to be upgrades. But, both Tampa and Winnipeg were already playing well and there is no guarantee that McDonagh and Stastny are able to gel with both their new teammates as well as new systems in top half of the roster roles. There's at least the possibility that those guys don't fit in and/or disrupt team chemistry and actually make their teams worse. See trades for guys like Duchesne and Hanzal as examples.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're not a "true contender" yet. I think it's that simple. We'll do this when it's appropriate.

That and we added a player like Lindblom without having to give anything up. That could end up being an improvement.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not a "true contender" yet. I think it's that simple. We'll do this when it's appropriate.

That and we added a player like Lindblom without having to give anything up. That could end up being an improvement.

I tend to error on the side of caution, but in this case we can no longer say the Flyers aren’t Cup contenders. They’re in First place in the division and have acquired a goalie who is red hot at the moment. There is now a real chance for this team, even if they aren’t among the top 5 or so teams. Still, I agree with the relatively quiet deadline. Would have liked to see a potential upgrade to the 4th line, though.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think our chances of winning a Cup next season should be way greater than they are this season. So, the risk of buying a rental then is less than it would be now.

That and I still think we can play better as the team is currently constructed, despite having won 6 straight and 10 of 11 with points in 12 straight. Our top two goalies and perennial goal scoring leader are out injured and we're still winning.

When everyone is healthy and the rookies have improved more, maybe we can morph ourselves into Cup contenders on our own merit. Either way, it's going to be some incredible experience for our group moving forward.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was fun to watch NJ beat Pitt tonight in their building and not have the game go to OT either. Now we're two clear of the Pens with also a game in hand. A win against Carolina on Thursday night moves us back into 1st place, past the Caps.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all in all you guys are with hexy to stand pat this year but possibly next year make a bigger move. I don't disagree but it would be hard to take if they come close but lose because they didn't snag a guy like grabner or maroon. I definitely agree that a big trade wouldn't have been wise this year I'm talking 2nd round or later but we definitely can't discount the fact that they did pick up a goalie really had no choice. That could have been used for a forward if their goalies weren't injured...

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think our chances of winning a Cup next season should be way greater than they are this season. So, the risk of buying a rental then is less than it would be now.

That and I still think we can play better as the team is currently constructed, despite having won 6 straight and 10 of 11 with points in 12 straight. Our top two goalies and perennial goal scoring leader are out injured and we're still winning.

When everyone is healthy and the rookies have improved more, maybe we can morph ourselves into Cup contenders on our own merit. Either way, it's going to be some incredible experience for our group moving forward.

:scratch:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all in all you guys are with hexy to stand pat this year but possibly next year make a bigger move. I don't disagree but it would be hard to take if they come close but lose because they didn't snag a guy like grabner or maroon. I definitely agree that a big trade wouldn't have been wise this year I'm talking 2nd round or later but we definitely can't discount the fact that they did pick up a goalie really had no choice. That could have been used for a forward if their goalies weren't injured...

Hexy does not like giving up picks, I think we can all agree he prides himself on picking talent that no one else would.
And with all the young guys coming into their own, who do you put on the chopping block???
As for the playoffs, getting in would be an improvement over last year. Getting past the first round would be beyond any expectations. Scary thing for the rest of the NHL, this team could surprise everyone and take everyone out!!! IMO, this team doesn't realize the talent it has, and when they do.....DAMN.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the price was high for everything at this deadline. The Devils gave up two prospects and two picks for just a couple of rentals. If they don't win the Cup, which is very likely, they just mortgaged some of their future. Kind of glad Hexy didn't do that. We're just too young to win it all this season. Maybe we can win a couple rounds however with home ice, take a powerhouse team to 6 or 7 games and get a lot of experience.

Then we grow from that and come back much improved and hungrier to win it all next season. That's how this works.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a four team race for the division. The loser will end up with the first wild card. 2nd and 3rd will play each other in round one, with 2nd getting home ice. 1st will get home ice against the loser.

We at least want home ice in round one, so upcoming games against the Pens and Caps will be enormous (3 of them). We've already narrowly won the season series against NJ and won't play them again unless we meet in the playoffs.

Also, I think Florida is going to steal the 2nd wild card from our division.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should've went after Maroon and Grabner. The Devils gave a 2nd rounder for him and if we are going to be as good as we should be next year that pick will be in the 50-60 best player range. With Maroon they gave up a third round pick and a marginal prospect. With those two i believe we had a shot to win it this season instead of waiting for next season where we may have injuries or guys may slump. So im always in favor of improving the team.

We also could've kept them from going to a team in our own division who we already have trouble beating.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a four team race for the division. The loser will end up with the first wild card. 2nd and 3rd will play each other in round one, with 2nd getting home ice. 1st will get home ice against the loser.

We at least want home ice in round one, so upcoming games against the Pens and Caps will be enormous (3 of them). We've already narrowly won the season series against NJ and won't play them again unless we meet in the playoffs.

Also, I think Florida is going to steal the 2nd wild card from our division.
First place would be great so we have a good team knocked out in round 1.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabner would've been a nice addition for us, but he's just a rental and we would've been giving one of our top rivals a 2nd round pick this year, plus a prospect. I think it's too steep of a price and it helps them improve long term more than it does us short term. Basically, I'm surprised that NJ went for it. Now they only have one pick in the first three rounds of the 2018 draft. We have four of them, including two in the first.