• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers to work Moss out Monday

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I thought we were going to steer clear of this guy...if not, we should've done this on 12/27/11.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's worth a try. Did they fly him first class or coach? If the Niners like what they see, maybe sign him to a one-year contract.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if we sign moss lets go after owens and chad johnson!! lets make it a citrus in san fran!!

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about getting Moss, he's old and I really don't know what he can do anymore since he sat out last season entirely.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought we were going to steer clear of this guy...if not, we should've done this on 12/27/11.

I was just about to say that. A couple months too late...It wouldn't have hurt us had this "workout" would have taken place when we needed it several months ago.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Moss last played for the Titans at the end of the 2010 season. He had six catches for 80 yards in four games. (AP)
As it turns out, the 49ers do have interest in a 35-year-old NFL legend who sat out the 2011 season.

No, it’s not that former Colts quarterback. It’s Randy Moss.

Citing a league source, ESPN reported the six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver will fly to the Bay Area today and work out for the 49ers on Monday. The session will mark Moss’ second workout for a team in less than a week. He visited the Saints on Tuesday and had a reportedly impressive workout. Moss will have at least one more workout this week after visiting San Francisco, ESPN has reported.

Moss sat out 2011 after a forgettable 2010 season in which he played for the Patriots, Titans and Vikings, collecting 28 catches for 393 yards and five touchdowns. In 2011, Michael Crabtree was the only 49ers wide receiver with more than 28 catches or 393 yards. No Niners wideout had five touchdowns.

Crabtree is the only one of three wideouts the team has under contract (Kyle Williams, Joe Hastings) with more than 21 career receptions. Ted Ginn and Joshua Morgan are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents when free agency begins at 1 p.m. Tuesday. Moss can be signed by any team before free agency.

After Morgan suffered a broken leg in Week 5 and Braylon Edwards was released prior to the regular-season finale, San Francisco’s shortcomings at wide receiver were exposed in the playoffs. The Niners wideouts had eight catches for 51 yards in two postseason games. Quarterback Alex Smith completed 8 of 29 passes and had a 51.1 rating when targeting his wide receivers. Ginn didn’t play in the NFC Championship Game due to a knee injury.

Is Moss part of the answer? It remains to be seen, but he would be if he can recapture anything close to his once-dominant form. Moss ranks second in NFL history in receiving touchdowns (153), fifth in yards (14,858) and ninth in receptions (954). At 6-foot-4, he could conceivably still give a team an inviting red-zone target and downfield threat. He ranks second in NFL history in receiving touchdowns of at least 50 yards (29).

At the NFL combine last month, Rams first-year coach Jeff Fisher said Moss’ attitude, often questioned throughout his career, was exemplary during his stint with the Titans in 2010.

“You guys know my familiarity with Randy,” said Fisher, Tennessee’s coach in 2010. “I thought he was great for our locker room.”

-Eric Branch

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd most likely be cheap plus he has a visit with another team left. We do tend to only bring in guys we are trying to sign though. Should get interesting.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Doesn't hurt to kick the tires on him and see what he has left.

It'd probably be similar to the Edwards signing in that we can dump him at any time and I don't think it would preclude us from drafting a WR if one we like is on the board.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope we go after Wallace still

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we need a player to jog out routes when he ain't the primary receiver?

exactly. i'd go after owens anyday of the week before moss. are they actually looking at moss as a replacement for ginn as our downfield threat?

all the safety will have to do is glance at moss to see if he's the primary target

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the Official Randy Moss spokesman and advocate for the past 8 years, one thing is certain; If Moss is on a contender, he typically does what he needs to do in terms of being engaged and competitive. His falling out in New England had more to do in terms of his contract than his fire. He was exceptional during his tenure in New England and felt he should have been extended as such, but we all know that is simply not the "Patriot way" especially in terms of older players. As for Moss being a Cancer-Lies. He's candid and honest (a gift and a curse in today's media), isn't making a comeback because he's broke and does good work in his community.

I don't believe I've read very many if any reports over his career that accused him of being a menace in the clubhouse. As for what he has left, a 35-year old engaged Randy Moss is a top 10 wide receiver in this league. No major injuries, high football IQ. The masses doubted him when he left Oakland claiming he was washed up and we see how true those reports were. Moss has the type of talent that erodes like every man, but just not as quick. I openly question his fit with Alex Smith as I questions Smiths ability to toss the deep but then again, if Moss takes 2 defenders with him deep leaving Davis and Crabs underneath, could get interesting. As for Harbs and Moss, perfect fit. Harbs has a structured system, the respect of his locker room and most importantly a passion for the game.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With last year's passing game being so unimpressive, the 49ers need to be looking at every option available at WR. So, I'm with the others who say it couldn't hurt to look. (And yes, I know they should be treating the QB position the same way, but this isn't the thread for that)

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes people think Moss has anything left? The drop off was easy to see. Hell the Pats traded him for a reason. They could easily see it right in front of their eyes. And this was two years ago. He's a player that relies pretty much solely on his athletic ability and has been out of the game for a year. He failed with 3 teams his last year.

For the record he was let go in New England due to his spout over his contract and various reports of clashes with the then OC. Had nothing to do with his abilities.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really, really hope we do not sign him. It'll be the first time I ever that I would root against a 9er.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really, really hope we do not sign him. It'll be the first time I ever that I would root against a 9er.

If the Niners sign him and he helps them win games and be a productive player, would you root against him? That doesn't make any sense. :crazy:

SUPREME72

keep it simple
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
niners should leave all stones unturn, TB & JH have there plan if that includes moss hell yeah. That's why they are bringing him for work out, to see what he brings to table and if he fits into the big plan.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me how bringing in Moss but not Peyton for a visit makes sense?