• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers to hire Jim Tomsula

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well If you were making a correlation between Tomsula working with down syndrome kids and becoming Kaepernick's coach....you are one funny bastard.

Good one. But I actually never even thought of Kaeppernick at that moment. I just didn't want to take a shot with down syndrome kids. I have worked with them myself.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice picture!

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the fact that they went out on a limb rather than hiring one of the musical chairs HC retreads. Give someone new a chance.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the video and he looks like a heck of a guy. I wish him some success.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll make this prediction right now with no joy at all: The 49ers will really struggle next year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll make this prediction right now with no joy at all: The 49ers will really struggle next year.

49ers were nearing 8-8 to begin with. Some of their star players are getting older (Willis, J. Smith, Gore, Davis, etc.). It just happens. 49ers are going to have to start rebuilding a bit pretty soon and unfortunately for them Seattle is in prime. It also kills that Bowman got that huge injury (sometimes players are never the same after that).

Same thing happened to Seattle after their SBOWL run in 05. Players started aging, injuries happend more frequently, it's tough to keep that streak going unless you have a top 10 QB ALL TIME (which face it, hardly anybody does - certainly not San Fran or Seattle).

San Fran will prob. go 7-9/8-8 next year which isn't bad, but it all depends what ownership can do to revitalize the team.

Gotta remember, Harbaugh inherited a VERY veteran/talented team. Carroll had to blow the entire Hawks team up (along with Schneider who IMO really deserves a TON of credit. Hawks GM was FAR superior to San Fran's GM, coaches were pretty even) but that ultimately resulted in fresh/young players which will last a bit longer.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers were nearing 8-8 to begin with. Some of their star players are getting older (Willis, J. Smith, Gore, Davis, etc.). It just happens. 49ers are going to have to start rebuilding a bit pretty soon and unfortunately for them Seattle is in prime. It also kills that Bowman got that huge injury (sometimes players are never the same after that).

Same thing happened to Seattle after their SBOWL run in 05. Players started aging, injuries happend more frequently, it's tough to keep that streak going unless you have a top 10 QB ALL TIME (which face it, hardly anybody does - certainly not San Fran or Seattle).

San Fran will prob. go 7-9/8-8 next year which isn't bad, but it all depends what ownership can do to revitalize the team.

Gotta remember, Harbaugh inherited a VERY veteran/talented team. Carroll had to blow the entire Hawks team up (along with Schneider who IMO really deserves a TON of credit. Hawks GM was FAR superior to San Fran's GM, coaches were pretty even) but that ultimately resulted in fresh/young players which will last a bit longer.

Ive argued in a few other threads that the 9ers are actually younger looking and feeling after this last year. They got a lot younger in some key areas (CB, DL, RB, S, OL, LB). They may have some older pieces fall off, but they have a deep roster. The only good thing about last seasons is some young players emerged big time, and helped the team despite a litany of injuries and suspensions. We'll see what happens. I may be a homer, but if the key pieces stay healthy next year, I think they just need to load one or two more bullets and they can be a contending team.

As for Tomsula, I remember reading a piece on him a while back and they kept talking about how energetic and positive he was, and how his players all loved him. No idea how he does as a coach, but I think he will bring a good energy to the organization. What they do at OC is key, however.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All joking aside..this has shades of Singletary all over it, A high intensity motivator, who has no significant coordinator time at the NFL, 49ers could be entering the dark ages again...I hope I'm wrong.

I actually thought of my Viking's and when they hired Mike Tice.

It is fine to hire a motivator with no X's and O's experience if you spend big money on top coordinators. So the surrounding staff that the 49ers hire in the next couple of weeks will be a big deal. Usually these types of hires fail though.

You have to wonder what that GM is thinking. If I had to wager money on it, I would bet the 49ers will be looking for a new head coach and a new GM 2 or 3 years from now.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say im a bit disappointed.... not in the hire itself,, I really couldn't care less either way who SF hires.

But Ive never seen his name written down. Just heard it mentioned either on radio or on a game broadcast.... and honestly I thought it was Jim-Tom Sula..........not Jim Tomsula.......... I assumed he coached at LSU or something before SF.....

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. But don't sell the young guys the Niners have now short. They've got some very talented folks on the defense. I just think this team will be more like 5 and 11 or 4 and 12 with a whole new staff, a completely over-matched head coach, some of the leaders aging and a poor quarterback

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive argued in a few other threads that the 9ers are actually younger looking and feeling after this last year. They got a lot younger in some key areas (CB, DL, RB, S, OL, LB). They may have some older pieces fall off, but they have a deep roster. The only good thing about last seasons is some young players emerged big time, and helped the team despite a litany of injuries and suspensions. We'll see what happens. I may be a homer, but if the key pieces stay healthy next year, I think they just need to load one or two more bullets and they can be a contending team.

As for Tomsula, I remember reading a piece on him a while back and they kept talking about how energetic and positive he was, and how his players all loved him. No idea how he does as a coach, but I think he will bring a good energy to the organization. What they do at OC is key, however.

Yep.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not happy but its time to back tomsula. I hope we land a god OC and DC.

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not happy but its time to back tomsula. I hope we land a god OC and DC.

So after 3 pages of bashing him on the Niners board, NOW you're ready to back him? :scratch:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula is beloved by the players and I have always LOVED the guy...but his success rests solely on who he gets as his OC and DC. My biggest worry is how connected he is to other coaches around college and the NFL in order to build a competent staff. Early reports are that Marc Trestman is on a short list for OC and the DC from the Raiders under Dennis Allen is being considered. Trestman I'm cool with. The dude from the Raiders??? Why the fuck would we want any Raiders' leftovers?!?

The fact that the Niners apparently are going to a 4-3, which makes sense given the personnel on the team, means that the D is learning all new D assignments. The fact that Fangio was let go is both worrisome and infuriating to me so I'm curious as to who they are going to bring in and how this D will respond. On paper, it makes sense, but to go from a top defense as a 3-4 all these years to a 4-3 is scary in terms of not wanting to see significant drop off in production.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are once again SO full of shit. VERY veteran? If you account for Nedney (age 40) our kicker in your age numbers, then yes. Justin Smith was over 30 at the time Harbaugh took over. No other impact player off the top of my head comes to mind. Talented? Yes. VERY veteran? Um, no.