• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners to hire Steve Wilks as Defensive Coordinator

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the Niners this looks like a good hire.

As for Wilks, he walks into a good situation, a talented defense where the last 2 DCs were both hired as HCs.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilks is more aggressive than what we've been used to in SF. We'll likely see the defense change some under Wilks.

During his last three seasons as an NFL coordinator, Wilks's defenses blitzed at top-four rates in the NFL, despite seeing time at three different destinations: with the Carolina Panthers, Arizona Cardinals, and Cleveland Browns.

While Wilks is a heavy blitzer, the defensive coordinator is well-known for utilizing lighter boxes and sticking in nickel personnel, essentially running a form of 4-2-5 with three cornerbacks and two safeties in the secondary.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As for Wilks, he walks into a good situation, a talented defense where the last 2 DCs were both hired as HCs.
Yep, his resume is good.

Yeah, he does walk into a pressure situation, because he inherits a lot of talent. Statistically, the 49ers defense can only go down.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilks is more aggressive than what we've been used to in SF. We'll likely see the defense change some under Wilks.

During his last three seasons as an NFL coordinator, Wilks's defenses blitzed at top-four rates in the NFL, despite seeing time at three different destinations: with the Carolina Panthers, Arizona Cardinals, and Cleveland Browns.

While Wilks is a heavy blitzer, the defensive coordinator is well-known for utilizing lighter boxes and sticking in nickel personnel, essentially running a form of 4-2-5 with three cornerbacks and two safeties in the secondary.
Oh ok. Being a little aggressive is ok with me, as Ryans did last season.

Hopefully Bosa gets more help whether on the other side or from the DTs? Then Wilks has the option of remaining his aggressive self, or not. MAYBE he had to be aggressive being on those teams?

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilks will do a good job. He’s just as good as Ryans if not better

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He inherits a defense thats still good despite losing Ward, Mosely, Ebukam, and Umenihu. It may or may not be just as good as last year but still a good defense. We just can't sustain a lot of injuries or lose Bosa long term.

He will only be a little different on what he calls and when he calls it.

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He inherits a defense thats still good despite losing Ward, Mosely, Ebukam, and Umenihu. It may or may not be just as good as last year but still a good defense. We just can't sustain a lot of injuries or lose Bosa long term.

He will only be a little different on what he calls and when he calls it.
The 49ers without injuries? C’mon now. When does that ever happen. Lol! I think the defense will be really tough. They filled the one spot where they were desperately in need. They will be good

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He being given a very talented squad. He's got no excuses. The last 2 guys to have the DC job both got HCing jobs. WIll Wilks make it 3 in a row?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers without injuries? C’mon now. When does that ever happen. Lol! I think the defense will be really tough. They filled the one spot where they were desperately in need. They will be good
Didn't say zero injuries, but did say not a lot of them.

Hargrave filled a big need but Kinlaw still needs to take a big step up. Hargrave is geared a little more to the rush, whereas Kinlaw is geared a little more to the run. There will be times where Kinlaw is asked to go in and stuff the LOS.

We don't have decent depth at pass rusher nor outside corner. To expect Beal and Luter to fill it immediately, is asking a lot.

Still a good defense as long as Bosa doesn't go down for a long time.

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He being given a very talented squad. He's got no excuses. The last 2 guys to have the DC job both got HCing jobs. WIll Wilks make it 3 in a row?
Wilks was the head coach in AZ , wasn’t he? And for Carolina? He seems like an experienced dude. I think the D will be good and I like the addition of Darnold

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say zero injuries, but did say not a lot of them.

Hargrave filled a big need but Kinlaw still needs to take a big step up. Hargrave is geared a little more to the rush, whereas Kinlaw is geared a little more to the run. There will be times where Kinlaw is asked to go in and stuff the LOS.

We don't have decent depth at pass rusher nor outside corner. To expect Beal and Luter to fill it immediately, is asking a lot.

Still a good defense as long as Bosa doesn't go down for a long time.
What about Ferrell the guy they got from the Raiders? He might help as a pass rusher. After watching Kinlaw get blown off the line in Philly, I have no confidence in him. I like their depth at DB. I think they will be helped a lot by an interior pass rush which Hargraves should provide

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about Ferrell the guy they got from the Raiders? He might help as a pass rusher. After watching Kinlaw get blown off the line in Philly, I have no confidence in him. I like their depth at DB. I think they will be helped a lot by an interior pass rush which Hargraves should provide
IMO Ferrell is more 'tryout' than 'starter'. He seems to be more adept at setting the edge, than pass rushing? Obviously, hope i'm wrong.

Yeah, Kinlaw started badly against Philly but did get better as the game wore on. Clearly, he has to show improvement NOW, else he might not make the team.

Depth at DB is from Oliver and Hartsfield because the drafted guys are more for 2024. At CB in particular, IMO we're a little vulnerable because doesn't seem like Oliver has played well at CB? If i'm wrong good, but if i'm right that leaves Womack and Thomas as depth.

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Ferrell is more 'tryout' than 'starter'. He seems to be more adept at setting the edge, than pass rushing? Obviously, hope i'm wrong.

Yeah, Kinlaw started badly against Philly but did get better as the game wore on. Clearly, he has to show improvement NOW, else he might not make the team.

Depth at DB is from Oliver and Hartsfield because the drafted guys are more for 2024. At CB in particular, IMO we're a little vulnerable because doesn't seem like Oliver has played well at CB? If i'm wrong good, but if i'm right that leaves Womack and Thomas as depth.
I really like the way Lenoir came on at the end of the year and in the playoffs. Reminds me of what Thomas did at the end of the season before last. They’ll get better with an interior pass rush int sure of it

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilks, in an interview, called Oliver the best NCB in FA. Also, we have Womack and Luter Jr, with almost identical PHYSICAL playing styles, along with Ambry Thomas. We have depth. And it's young, talented, aggressive, and hungry.