• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Antonio Bethea

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats good about this pick up is we get a great tackler and a better coverage guy. Word is he is a hard working and a good club house guy. He also had a better year then Whitner last year.

Great move Baalke.

I don't know about the coverage thing. He got absolutely lit up in the playoffs by Alex Smith. Bethea looked horrible. Haven't seen much else of his play.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the coverage thing. He got absolutely lit up in the playoffs by Alex Smith. Bethea looked horrible. Haven't seen much else of his play.

Since when has being ignorant ever stopped you from formulating a half-baked opinion?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bethea contract details.
4 years $21M, $5M signing bonus
2014 $1.25M base, $400K roster bonus, $100k workout bonus
2015 $3M base, $400k roster, $100k workout bonus
2016 $4M base, $400k roster, $100k workout
2017 $5.25M base, $400k roster, $100k workout
With another $500k possible in incentives from 2015-2017
cap hits:
2014 - $3M
2015 - $4.75M
2016 - $5.75M
2017 - $7M

To build off this, cap hits to cut him:

2014: 2M hit (2.4M if he stays long enough to get the roster bonus)
2015: net SAVING of 1M
2016: net SAVING of 3.25M
2017: net SAVING of 5.75M

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You're off on this one and somebody should have called you on it earlier to be perfectly honest. Run me through some of the instances you saw where he looked terrible in that game and maybe I'll bend a little on my opinion? I highly doubt it, but here's my take:

His general area was thrown at 3 times in that game. They completed 2 of those passes, and both went for a combined 27-29 yards with around 4-5 yards of YAC. One of those was for a touchdown but I don't know if I would place all the blame on him for that touchdown. He had one somewhat bad missed tackle but made 4 really good stops on his own and had 10 other tackles in that game (only 2 were because of something that went on in his coverage area).

It's possible and likely one of their defensive coaches would knock him down for other things since they know what's called and there's things we don't know that they want out of their players but unless you're a coach or somebody with a better understanding of their defense or that TYPE of defense, I don't know if you can have that greatly of a different opinion than the one I just gave to be quite honest assuming you watched every play and took any kind of notes (actual or mental).

I'm willing to read something from anybody that can challenge me on the opinion I just gave, though. For the record: After I typed all that out I went back and looked at some of the official grades other people gave on him for that game and he graded out as having one of his better coverage games of the entire season in that game.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's some upside here: solid citizen, cheaper than Whitner, and his last name rhymes with nothing football related.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're off on this one and somebody should have called you on it earlier to be perfectly honest. Run me through some of the instances you saw where he looked terrible in that game and maybe I'll bend a little on my opinion? I highly doubt it, but here's my take:

His general area was thrown at 3 times in that game. They completed 2 of those passes, and both went for a combined 27-29 yards with around 4-5 yards of YAC. One of those was for a touchdown but I don't know if I would place all the blame on him for that touchdown. He had one somewhat bad missed tackle but made 4 really good stops on his own and had 10 other tackles in that game (only 2 were because of something that went on in his coverage area).

It's possible and likely one of their defensive coaches would knock him down for other things since they know what's called and there's things we don't know that they want out of their players but unless you're a coach or somebody with a better understanding of their defense or that TYPE of defense, I don't know if you can have that greatly of a different opinion than the one I just gave to be quite honest assuming you watched every play and took any kind of notes (actual or mental).

I'm willing to read something from anybody that can challenge me on the opinion I just gave, though. For the record: After I typed all that out I went back and looked at some of the official grades other people gave on him for that game and he graded out as having one of his better coverage games of the entire season in that game.

Game, set, and match.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN and CBS both said great signing and gave us an A. He is only 1 year older and he is a good tackler and good in coverage and a great lockerroom guy, he is the leader we need in the secondary with Rogers and Whitner gone, its a great signing.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is a great signing.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I warmed up slightly to this deal after I have seen the full terms and the initial emotions are gone.

At first I would've rated this signing a 2 out 10. Its up to a 3.5/4 out of 10 now.

My biggest knocks are his age and the length of the deal followed by the contract amount and talent of the player. There's no way he'll be around for that 4th year and probably not even that 3rd year. I hate signing these kind of deals because we will have dead cap money and wasted money because of this. It's not a huge amount but still 1.25mil or so.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No challenge to this yet? Shocking.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I warmed up slightly to this deal after I have seen the full terms and the initial emotions are gone.

At first I would've rated this signing a 2 out 10. Its up to a 3.5/4 out of 10 now.

My biggest knocks are his age and the length of the deal followed by the contract amount and talent of the player. There's no way he'll be around for that 4th year and probably not even that 3rd year. I hate signing these kind of deals because we will have dead cap money and wasted money because of this. It's not a huge amount but still 1.25mil or so.

Yeah, looking at the contract, I don't have a problem with this move. I think he's a good two-year stopgap who can step in without too much dropoff. I'd like to try to develop some later-round safeties, though.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not worried about years for NFL contracts because they mean nothing in a way. We can always cut him after year 3.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cheated, you used facts and logic..

Plus, he should pick on someone his own size. Like a scout or GM. Stop schooling us novices (in comparison). I never have nor ever will challenge Pozz because I don't like getting beaten up. I take it when I do, but it's no fun. ;)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plus, he should pick on someone his own size. Like a scout or GM. Stop schooling us novices (in comparison). I never have nor ever will challenge Pozz because I don't like getting beaten up. I take it when I do, but it's no fun. ;)

I hope nobody feels beaten up by anything I state or reply to. That doesn't make conversing very much fun. I know I say plenty of things that could be and should be challenged. I wish more people would do it on here and I welcome it. I think on this one issue I'm as spot on as a fan is going to get, however.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went on record right away when we signed him and loved the move, now knowing thats its 4yr-$21mil, makes me love it that much more. Whitner got $28 mil, we could save almost $2mil a year more, with taking everything in, I'm glad we have Bethea over Whitner