• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers MVP

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His shoulder injury came up earlier in the offseason when people were saying Justin Smith was the only reason for Aldon's success.

So, knowing of his injury, I went back to find it. I can't remember the exact details, but the Bears game was the key. He either showed up on the injury report every week following the Bears' game, or starting with the Bears' game. I can't remember if he was on the injury report for that game or not and can't be bothered to go check.

Anyway, week 11 was when the shoulder became an issue.

I'd have to imagine it came after the Bears game... he had 5.5 sacks that game. My money is that it happened in the game against the Dolphins, since after that he stopped getting sacks.

Or... maybe he partially tore it in the Bears game and during the Dolphins game he completely tore it... requiring the surgery.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Nobody may know for sure when Aldon tore his labrum (not even Aldon). I tore my labrum & didn't even notice for a while until I kept on lifting weights and my shoulder was extremely sore. It depends on the severity of the tear. He also could have had a slight tear he progressively made worse by playing with it.

It took a year and a half for my tear to heal on its own (I never had surgery), but when it did I had zero lingering effects. I just wish other injuries I have would heal as completely.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd have to imagine it came after the Bears game... he had 5.5 sacks that game. My money is that it happened in the game against the Dolphins, since after that he stopped getting sacks.

Or... maybe he partially tore it in the Bears game and during the Dolphins game he completely tore it... requiring the surgery.

I'm telling you, the Bears game is the key. It was either the first game he was on the injury report, or the last game he wasn't.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, the Bears game is the key. It was either the first game he was on the injury report, or the last game he wasn't.

If he appeared on the injury report after the Bears game, he probably tore it a little bit there.... did OK with a partially torn labrum the next few weeks and then completely tore it in the Dolphins game.

Honestly, the whens, hows, and wheres don't really matter. Eventually he lost that arm and played through it ineffectively... just annoying that people still say his lack of production is due to the loss of Justin Smith.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could see it later on in the season. He just didn't look the same. I thought it was because he was tired, but then I heard about the shoulder.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think that is true. Aldon had the shoulder injury and never got a rest. My friend told me some crazy stat that he played like twice as many snaps as he ever had in an entire year last year. Something along those lines. I think that had as much to do with it as when Justin went out.

Shouldn't that be obvious? He was only a situational pass rusher last year. The college season is only 12 or 13 game long. He broke his leg one of those years. The 49ers went to the SB, so we played 19 games.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't remember if that's true or not. Either way, Aldon showed last year that he's perfectly capable of getting to the QB by his uber-athletic, long-armed self. He was playing with a torn labrum when JSmith was hurt.

IIRC Justin Smith tore his tricep in the 49ers vs Patriots at the end of the 1st half but played through it. Aldon Smith from that half to the confetti coming down at the SB, Aldon would record 0 sacks and was far less effective than we ever seen him.

Edit: IIRC (part-II) Justin Smith according to profootballfocus was still playing at an above average level in the postseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IIRC Justin Smith tore his tricep in the 49ers vs Patriots at the end of the 1st half but played through it. Aldon Smith from that half to the confetti coming down at the SB, Aldon would record 0 sacks and was far less effective than we ever seen him.

Edit: IIRC (part-II) Justin Smith according to profootballfocus was still playing at an above average level in the postseason.

Furthermore, if you recall correctly, Aldon Smith had surgery on a torn labrum in his shoulder after the season. The man was injured.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you saying that Aldon's injury had nothing to do with his play or the other way around? Cause if Justin Smith was still playing at an above average level, and he was the reason for Aldons success, Aldon would have still had decent success the rest of the way.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Furthermore, if you recall correctly, Aldon Smith had surgery on a torn labrum in his shoulder after the season. The man was injured.

You're saying he got injured maybe during the Bear game right? Well he was still effective up till the Patriots game. As soon as Justin Smith's injury occurred Aldon productiveness suffered greatly.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're saying he got injured maybe during the Bear game right? Well he was still effective up till the Patriots game. As soon as Justin Smith's injury occurred Aldon productiveness suffered greatly.

You are speaking of absolutes when talking about Justin Smith and Aldon but you fail to add gray area that you have no way of accounting for. You have no idea when the Labrum tore partially, when it tore completely, etc.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

And that is the response I would expect from people who aren't paying close attention. Aldon was also playing hurt at that point. And he was still playing at a pretty high level despite the torn labrum.

Aldon would be a 15-ish sack player no matter for what team he played. He & Von Miller are the 2 best OLBs in the NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

A torn labrum isn't like a torn ACL. Aldon might not even know when he hurt it. It could have gotten progressively worse as he kept on playing injured.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are speaking of absolutes when talking about Justin Smith and Aldon but you fail to add gray area that you have no way of accounting for. You have no idea when the Labrum tore partially, when it tore completely, etc.

Alright so it was a coincidence when JS tore his tricep that Aldon stopped playing well?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A torn labrum isn't like a torn ACL. Aldon might not even know when he hurt it. It could have gotten progressively worse as he kept on playing injured.

Chances are both injuries didn't happen in the same game. That's the side I'm taking

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Chances are both injuries didn't happen in the same game. That's the side I'm taking

That's not the point. The injury might have been extremely minor at first and then got progressively worse over time. That's how it was when I tore my labrum (I probably hurt it in the gym lifting weights).

Either way, Aldon was playing with a torn labrum at some point towards the end of the season.

And like I said, he got plenty of sacks that had nothing to do with JSmith (9 of them). 9 sacks by themselves is a decent season even if you don't include the other 10.5 sacks.

There's a reason the guy has more sacks at this point in his career than any player in the history of the NFL. Plenty of other players have played next to JSmith and other great D-linemen and haven't gotten half as many pressures / sacks, etc.

Aldon > Demarcus Ware & Cameron Wake and any other pass rusher with the exception of JJ Watt & the possible exception of Von Miller (and Aldon's better against the run than Von).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's not the point. The injury might have been extremely minor at first and then got progressively worse over time. That's how it was when I tore my labrum (I probably hurt it in the gym lifting weights).

Either way, Aldon was playing with a torn labrum at some point towards the end of the season.

And like I said, he got plenty of sacks that had nothing to do with JSmith (9 of them). 9 sacks by themselves is a decent season even if you don't include the other 10.5 sacks.

There's a reason the guy has more sacks at this point in his career than any player in the history of the NFL. Plenty of other players have played next to JSmith and other great D-linemen and haven't gotten half as many pressures / sacks, etc.

Aldon > Demarcus Ware & Cameron Wake and any other pass rusher with the exception of JJ Watt & the possible exception of Von Miller (and Aldon's better against the run than Von).

So he got 9 sacks off those stunt plays? Interesting. I think you're underestimating Cameron Wake like every else because he plays in a small market.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/03/adjusted-sacks-and-idp-regression/

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So he got 9 sacks off those stunt plays? Interesting. I think you're underestimating Cameron Wake like every else because he plays in a small market.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/03/adjusted-sacks-and-idp-regression/

Wake's a beast, but Aldon has out-played him (and Ware). And it wasn't just stunt plays; sometimes he just lined up on the left side of the line and ran right around the RT like he wasn't even there. Either way, he had 9 sacks on plays that JSmith had nothing to do with the sack. And 10.5 more when he did.

And the guy gets crap for going a few games without a sack (injured). :L

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alright so it was a coincidence when JS tore his tricep that Aldon stopped playing well?

So you measure "playing well" strictly by sacks for Aldon? Did he stop getting any pressure and get bulldozed in the run game?