• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers MVP

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a few articles on the subject. Aldon Smith was listed, Bleacher reports had one listing the players in descending order and they picked Kaepernick. I go by who I would want to lose the least and I go with CK as well.

My reasoning: He appears to have more physical potential than any quarterback I've ever seen. In baseball they call it the "5 tool player": hitting average, hitting power, running, throwing and fielding. CK is like that in football form: Running, throwing, thinking quickly, accuracy, powerful (physically durable and arm strength).

I hope I'm not duplicating another thread, but if I may ask, watchoo all think? And why?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Easily Justin Smith...
If he's 100%, Aldon Smith goes and the DBs don't get exposed.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a few articles on the subject. Aldon Smith was listed, Bleacher reports had one listing the players in descending order and they picked Kaepernick. I go by who I would want to lose the least and I go with CK as well.

My reasoning: He appears to have more physical potential than any quarterback I've ever seen. In baseball they call it the "5 tool player": hitting average, hitting power, running, throwing and fielding. CK is like that in football form: Running, throwing, thinking quickly, accuracy, powerful (physically durable and arm strength).

I hope I'm not duplicating another thread, but if I may ask, watchoo all think? And why?

MVP has to be Kap. In this day and age if your QB not your MVP you have virtually no chance at a Super Bowl. With all that being said Kap is a freak of an athlete at the position. He is defiantly a 4 tool player we have to see if "thinking quickly" will come as he gets more experience.

S/N Jim Harbaugh would be my runner up in this race. I think he means so much to this team both in personal & coaching that if we didn't have Kap he would turn a mediocre QB (Alex Smith) into a serviceable/good starter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to go with Kap. I agree QB is very important but we did make it to the championship game with Alex Smith so maybe it can be Justin Smith or Aldon Smith.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no doubt you start with your QB, that is THE key player on any team. we have a good QB so easy answer in Kaep.

for me, the pass rusher is the second 'MVP' on any NFL team. there are just too many good QB's plus good receivers. the defense HAS to provide pressure, good pressure, and good pressure obviously starts with that pass rusher.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of the MVP, I always thought it was a stupid award. They should call it the MVQB slash MVRB award. It's been 26 years since anyone other than a QB or RB has won the award.

The MVP has more credibility than the meaningless Pro Bowl, but it lost a lot when Brett Favre shared the award with Barry Sanders and his 2000+ yards. That was a load of crap. And when Jerry Rice broke the record for receiving yards in a season, he lost to a not-even-close-to-historic year of Favre's in the voting.

And Gary Andersen proved a kicker can't win the MVP any more when he went the entire season without missing a kick in 1998. Not that Terrell Davis didn't have a great year too, but Andersen had a PERFECT year.

When it starts to become a popularity contest, it loses its meaning.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HARBAUGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

jim-harbaugh.jpg

Real answer is Kaep. It's always the QB

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a pretty good review of the best/worst 2013 QB scenarios. Kaepernick's was interesting.

Y! SPORTS

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Smith? Aldon isn't half the player without Justin than he is with him.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to think it exposed the lack of depth on the defensive line. Aldon Smith is an amazing talent. Our D took a step back last season. I'm optimistic though.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think that is true. Aldon had the shoulder injury and never got a rest. My friend told me some crazy stat that he played like twice as many snaps as he ever had in an entire year last year. Something along those lines. I think that had as much to do with it as when Justin went out.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is true. Aldon had the shoulder injury and never got a rest. My friend told me some crazy stat that he played like twice as many snaps as he ever had in an entire year last year. Something along those lines. I think that had as much to do with it as when Justin went out.

Good point.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disappointing. I expect this from the legions that hate the 49ers... but it still surprises me that some 49ers fans fail to recognize that just by chance, Aldon hurt his shoulder too during the same time frame. A torn labrum is a big deal... he was half the player because he was half the man with only one good arm.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

This is a myth. Aldon got 8 sacks when he lined up on the opposite side of JSmith or JSmith wasn't on the field. He also got one sack when Aaron Rodgers tried to run a bootleg left & Aldon sniffed it out & caught his foot (that play had nothing to do with JSmith).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a myth. Aldon got 8 sacks when he lined up on the opposite side of JSmith or JSmith wasn't on the field. He also got one sack when Aaron Rodgers tried to run a bootleg left & Aldon sniffed it out & caught his foot (that play had nothing to do with JSmith).

I thought they took that sack away because his helmet got knocked up and then he slammed it off as he stood up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought they took that sack away because his helmet got knocked up and then he slammed it off as he stood up.

I don't remember if that's true or not. Either way, Aldon showed last year that he's perfectly capable of getting to the QB by his uber-athletic, long-armed self. He was playing with a torn labrum when JSmith was hurt.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember if that's true or not. Either way, Aldon showed last year that he's perfectly capable of getting to the QB by his uber-athletic, long-armed self. He was playing with a torn labrum when JSmith was hurt.

Well, he was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. It negated the sack on the field, I kind of assumed it did in the stats too... just an assumption though.

Oh, and you don't have to sell me... I know what Aldon did on the opposite side of Justin, and I just posted about his torn labrum. I'm just surprised still that 49ers fans can jump to that hater conclusion that without Justin... Aldon is half the player.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

His shoulder injury came up earlier in the offseason when people were saying Justin Smith was the only reason for Aldon's success.

So, knowing of his injury, I went back to find it. I can't remember the exact details, but the Bears game was the key. He either showed up on the injury report every week following the Bears' game, or starting with the Bears' game. I can't remember if he was on the injury report for that game or not and can't be bothered to go check.

Anyway, week 11 was when the shoulder became an issue.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, he was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. It negated the sack on the field, I kind of assumed it did in the stats too... just an assumption though.

Oh, and you don't have to sell me... I know what Aldon did on the opposite side of Justin, and I just posted about his torn labrum. I'm just surprised still that 49ers fans can jump to that hater conclusion that without Justin... Aldon is half the player.

I don't think it negated the sack. I think the penalty was after the play, so in terms of yards yes, but the play still counted.