• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Agree to Trade Framework with Patriots and Browns Regarding WR Aiyuk

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, although we don't know how things would have played out if he hadn't been adamant. Maybe they'd have tried to make him play out his 5th year option. I don't blame the 49ers for trying to get the best deal on their side, or blame him for holding in, (but I think he should have done it on the 4th year of his rookie deal). I have to believe Aiyuk could have earned more from a team that traded for him. He may have left $7-8M on the table by chasing a ring. Supposition on my part.
EOD, we have no idea. Anyone who pounds their chest or struts around the ring claiming “I knew all along” or “You can apologize to me now” is just internet tough-guying. His contract came in right about where it was reported to end up months ago, and he got nowhere near the 30M aav some were reporting he wanted or what he would get.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EOD, we have no idea. Anyone who pounds their chest or struts around the ring claiming “I knew all along” or “You can apologize to me now” is just internet tough-guying. His contract came in right about where it was reported to end up months ago, and he got nowhere near the 30M aav some were reporting he wanted or what he would get.
You aren’t comparing apples and apples. These other deals like Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle and Amon Ra St Brown will reveal similar things when you unravel them the way we’ve done with the Ayuik deal. This is the nature of NFL deals. There is the announced AAV based on public terms and then there’s the real when the guaranteed money is analyzed. I bet Ayuik is within 1-2 million AAV of those 3 other deals if we do the same kind of dissection.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren’t comparing apples and apples. These other deals like Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle and Amon Ra St Brown will reveal similar things when you unravel them the way we’ve done with the Ayuik deal. This is the nature of NFL deals. There is the announced AAV based on public terms and then there’s the real when the guaranteed money is analyzed. I bet Ayuik is within 1-2 million AAV of those 3 other deals if we do the same kind of dissection.
This is also very true. The value of the extension is almost always overstated for public consumption. Smith is due $68.737M over 4 years but there are no easy outs for the Eagles. The 5th year at $24M looks potentially cheap. Waddle is getting $77.319M over 4 years for practical purposes with a non-guaranteed 5th year that could turn out to be $15M under his market value or $27M over it. St. Brown is getting $63.386M over 3 years and $23.98M in year 4. Technically he has $7.417M of year 4 guaranteed should he be cut after year 3. There's also a $35M+ non-guaranteed salary in year 5 that he may never see. Aiyuk is getting way more money than those WRs so his hold-out could be said to be very successful.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is also very true. The value of the extension is almost always overstated for public consumption. Smith is due $68.737M over 4 years but there are no easy outs for the Eagles. The 5th year at $24M looks potentially cheap. Waddle is getting $77.319M over 4 years for practical purposes with a non-guaranteed 5th year that could turn out to be $15M under his market value or $27M over it. St. Brown is getting $63.386M over 3 years and $23.98M in year 4. Technically he has $7.417M of year 4 guaranteed should he be cut after year 3. There's also a $35M+ non-guaranteed salary in year 5 that he may never see. Aiyuk is getting way more money than those WRs so his hold-out could be said to be very successful.
So you would say that Ayuik has been slotted alongside those 3 comparable salaries correct? Maybe I misunderstood but it sounds like what you’re saying is that when we just analyze the guaranteed money that the AAV for Ayuik is actually greater in the end.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, although we don't know how things would have played out if he hadn't been adamant. Maybe they'd have tried to make him play out his 5th year option. I don't blame the 49ers for trying to get the best deal on their side, or blame him for holding in, (but I think he should have done it on the 4th year of his rookie deal). I have to believe Aiyuk could have earned more from a team that traded for him. He may have left $7-8M on the table by chasing a ring. Supposition on my part.
Now the 49ers have the second most cap space in 2024 to try and satisfy Trent Williams and extend Purdy (48 mil to work with at this point). As a Seahawk fan I hate to see that. Trying to keep your core players together is hard with the cap and free agency, think the 49ers have done a good job of keeping the band together and keeping the window for another try at winning the Super Bowl open.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would say that Ayuik has been slotted alongside those 3 comparable salaries correct? Maybe I misunderstood but it sounds like what you’re saying is that when we just analyze the guaranteed money that the AAV for Ayuik is actually greater in the end.
It is! Aiyuk is getting way more over 3 years and over 4 years. I'm not a WR expect but I thought St. Brown and Aiyuk were of similar NFL value. St. Brown gets $63.4M over 3 years, ($70.8M if cut), and $87.4M over 4 years. Aiyuk gets $76M over 3 years and $104.1M over 4 years. I'm surprised Aiyuk is getting that much more. Then again I didn't realise the other WRs were getting much less than was being talked about. Until today I hadn't crunched their numbers. I don't know what the Steelers and Patriots were really offering Aiyuk but the press made it sound like even bigger numbers. Maybe that wasn't true and maybe he didn't leave a lot of money on the table.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the 49ers have the second most cap space in 2024 to try and satisfy Trent Williams and extend Purdy (48 mil to work with at this point). As a Seahawk fan I hate to see that. Trying to keep your core players together is hard with the cap and free agency, think the 49ers have done a good job of keeping the band together and keeping the window for another try at winning the Super Bowl open.
As a Rams fan I hate to see it as well, but I understand it. The 49ers have a phenomenal level of player talent on their 2024 roster. 2024 cap space isn't the big issue, at least not to me. I'd rather wait until the season starts and then look at how much future cap space teams have used to pay for players up to and including 2024. It's still a changing situation with some big name players potentially being extended very soon.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deals are hard to compare and analyze because Aiyuk was drafted in the first round of 2020 and thus his deal rolls the 5th year option in, which was already set and was $14M guaranteed for this season. St Brown and Waddle (too soon for 5th year option) were 2021 picks and St Brown wasn't even a first rounder. St Browns 2024 salary was guaranteed at only about $1M

Assuming they are accurate and looking at the "outs" on Spotrac I'll use Aiyuk and St Brown as an example. His total deal is 5 years and $134M or $26.8M per. The new money was reported at $130M and his 5th year option for 2024 was $14M. Use whichever helps your argument I guess :noidea:

Aiyuk's deal if SF wants to get out as early as reasonably possible is in reality a 3 year $76M contract - $25.3M per. However, since he already was getting $14M guaranteed before the deal the new money is $62M over the 3 years or $62M over the additional 2 years plus the $14M if you prefer. So you can view it either way. You can say it's a 2 year extension on top of the 5th year option of 2 year's at $31M per. But really it's a $25.3M per year deal over 3 years.

St Brown's deal if he shits the bed and Det wants to get out is a 4 year $87M ($22M per) contract. This includes the 4th year of his rookie contract which was about $1M. So the new money is 3 years and $86M or $28.7M. But looking at it the same way as Aiyuk it's a $22M per year deal over 3 years before Det can reasonably get out.

Clear as mud :what:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is gonna be easy for me to say since he isnt on my team, but fuck Trent Williams. He constantly wants a new deal with multiple years left on his deals. Right now he is on the hook for another three years.
If the Niners want to barter with him. So be it. Why wouldnt you with one of the top guys. However they arent forced to do a deal with him. They can tell his ass (& I know they wont) go ahead & retire. What are you gonna do sit for three years?

It's a strange holdout considering he's still the 6th highest paid tackle. Negotiate a small increase and move on. Dumb.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very difficult. The reality really crashes in when the QB gets paid. How they do when Purdy gets his bucks is going to be interesting.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More crazy is Chase not getting a deal before Waddle and Devonta.

Mike Brown folks.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More crazy is Chase not getting a deal before Waddle and Devonta.

Mike Brown folks.

That is more Chase than Cinci.

Most teams in this league arent going to hand out a new contract to a guy who still has 2 years left to play out on his rookie deal. The only exception is if the player wants to sign for a huge discount. And that is what Waddle and Smith did. Come back 1.75 years from now and see how their 3 year extensions (extensions that wont kick in until that moment) look in that light.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most teams in this league arent going to hand out a new contract to a guy who still has 2 years left to play out on his rookie deal. The only exception is if the player wants to sign for a huge discount. And that is what Waddle and Smith did. Come back 1.75 years from now and see how their 3 year extensions (extensions that wont kick in until that moment) look in that light.
Yikes, this guy is all over the place with contracts now claiming the Waddle and Smith 25+ million per year deals as discounts.

Chase is the most talented WR in the league. Should be paid like it.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The market dictates. And in this scenario Chase is a top 3 receiver in this league. He's an ACL away from being a different player. In this case I don't blame him wanting the guarantees up front.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market dictates. And in this scenario Chase is a top 3 receiver in this league. He's an ACL away from being a different player. In this case I don't blame him wanting the guarantees up front.
The NFL called this tune with their one sided contracts. If you’re a player with leverage you’re foolish for not exercising that leverage. Not many players in the league have the leverage that a Chase has or a Trent Williams has.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL called this tune with their one sided contracts. If you’re a player with leverage you’re foolish for not exercising that leverage. Not many players in the league have the leverage that a Chase has or a Trent Williams has.
1725381130124.png

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, this guy is all over the place with contracts now claiming the Waddle and Smith 25+ million per year deals as discounts.

Chase is the most talented WR in the league. Should be paid like it.

Like I said, lets have this conversation again in the summer of 2026 and see how we feel about those two signing only 3 year deals that summer and what the number would look like had they hit the open market Because I guarantee you that in 2026, that is likely to look low for those two players.

The cap right now is $255M. By that summer, we will be looking at a cap of between $310-$330M.

And then to top it off, they only get a 3 year deal at the age of 27. Meaning that is likely their last top value contract as the next time they come up for a new deal, they will be on the wrong side of 30.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent ends up with about 5 mil more a year