• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4 Outfielders

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp has already said he is not a 4th outfielder, but can he start or stay healthy? Crawford is taking the high road, what should happen guys?:noidea:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a nice problem to have on paper. If everyone is healthy, a BIG "if", then Kemp and Puig need to get most of the starts with Ethier and Crawford sharing time.

The Dodgers will eventually have to trade one of them, except for Puig. Who they trade for will depend on the need at the time of any such trade.

I believe Mattingly will mix all these guys in and out of the lineup effectively and I suspect Puig will play more than the others.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already know Kemp is an everyday outfielder when healthy, so far from what I'm hearing his shoulder feels better then ever, but he still not running much & won't be ready for opening day. CC needs to stay healthy this season as I prefer to see him be our lead off hitter everyday.

Even if we have injury issues this season in the outfield, we still have players like SVS & Joc Pederson just waiting for a chance. Not a bad problem to have.

GO DODGERS!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

DimesD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers will eventually have to trade one of them, except for Puig. Who they trade for will depend on the need at the time of any such trade.

If one of them goes, it should be Crawford. No doubt he's overpaid and the Dodgers would have to kick in a few millions to offset his overvalue. Kemp has too much upside. If Kemp gets to 80% of what he used to be, it'll be better than 100% of crawford going forward.

The Mariners signed Cano to a huge contract, so they're spenders. Cano took over David Ackley's starting spot. Ackley is now listed as their starting left fielder. They also signed Corey who's coming off surgery and sat out a year. His availability in the outfield is limited. This is where Crawford would fit in the Mariner's scheme.

The deal would be Crawford + 5mil/yr cash (20 mil overall) for Ackley + Edwin Diaz RHP (#5) or Vicor Sanchez RHP (#7) + Tyler Marlette C (#8) or Danny Hultzen LHP (#10) Only Hultzen is close to the Majors (AAA) the others are rookie league or A.

Ackley (.250 BA) could serve the team similar to Punto/Schumaker although he still needs work in the OF. And he's cheap. If/when one of the big 3 OF goes down, Ackley can step in.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the Dodgers could get Ackley and Hultzen for Crawford.. I would do a dance in the streets if we could.

Kemp and Puig are 100% starters if healthy and Crawford will likely get the most playing time in LF, although Ethier is better.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford should not be the leadoff hitter. He doesn't have the OBP for it and he never has.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one of them goes, it should be Crawford. No doubt he's overpaid and the Dodgers would have to kick in a few millions to offset his overvalue. Kemp has too much upside. If Kemp gets to 80% of what he used to be, it'll be better than 100% of crawford going forward.

The Mariners signed Cano to a huge contract, so they're spenders. Cano took over David Ackley's starting spot. Ackley is now listed as their starting left fielder. They also signed Corey who's coming off surgery and sat out a year. His availability in the outfield is limited. This is where Crawford would fit in the Mariner's scheme.

The deal would be Crawford + 5mil/yr cash (20 mil overall) for Ackley + Edwin Diaz RHP (#5) or Vicor Sanchez RHP (#7) + Tyler Marlette C (#8) or Danny Hultzen LHP (#10) Only Hultzen is close to the Majors (AAA) the others are rookie league or A.

Ackley (.250 BA) could serve the team similar to Punto/Schumaker although he still needs work in the OF. And he's cheap. If/when one of the big 3 OF goes down, Ackley can step in.

Crawford stayed healthy and played well last year, if anyone is overpaid it's Ethier. Ethier had 1 good half of a season and that's been about it. I want to keep all 4 with Crawford, Puig and Kemp as the starters, speed and power all the way.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford stayed healthy and played well last year, if anyone is overpaid it's Ethier. Ethier had 1 good half of a season and that's been about it. I want to keep all 4 with Crawford, Puig and Kemp as the starters, speed and power all the way.

Ethier and Crawford are both overpaid. Crawford is overpaid worse than Ethier is. Also, Crawford did not actually stay healthy last year. He only played in 116 games, which is i guess an improvement from playing zero games for the Dodgers in 2012. But still, he wasn't 100%. I hope for better from Crawford this year. An argument can easily be made that Ethier was more valuable to the Dodgers than Crawford was last year.

Ethier: .340 wOBA, 120 wRC+ in 142 games.
Crawford: .322 wOBA, 108 wRC+ in 116 games.

Also, since you said you wanted "speed and power" all the way, I think its only fair to mention that Ethier had a better slugging percentage than Crawford. So yeah, Crawford is speedier but Ethier easily has him beat in the power department.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ethier and Crawford are both overpaid. Crawford is overpaid worse than Ethier is. Also, Crawford did not actually stay healthy last year. He only played in 116 games, which is i guess an improvement from playing zero games for the Dodgers in 2012. But still, he wasn't 100%. I hope for better from Crawford this year. An argument can easily be made that Ethier was more valuable to the Dodgers than Crawford was last year.

Also, since you said you wanted "speed and power" all the way, I think its only fair to mention that Ethier had a better slugging percentage than Crawford. So yeah, Crawford is speedier but Ethier easily has him beat in the power department.

Crawford showed up for the playoffs though. You are right though, they are both overpaid. I just like Crawford more at the moment, either way I hope the Dodgers keep all 4. We actually could have used 5 in last years playoffs ha.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Many claimed Crawford was done, so I don't know about you but I saw Crawford's year last year as a big success.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By no means was I trying to call Crawford a bum. I actually have a pretty lengthy thread on a different forum that I've been using to track him since last spring. As I said earlier, I hope he'll build off of last season. The potential is there - his hammies and his back are better and he's this much further removed from Tommy John surgery. I'm looking to see him more active running the bases - not just stealing, but going from first to third more often - and hopefully hitting a little lower in the lineup like he did during his prime in Tampa.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Crawford to have a better season than last and I agree that we should see him running more. Hopefully he can play more and add some power over and above last year.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Crawford to have a better season than last and I agree that we should see him running more. Hopefully he can play more and add some power over and above last year.

Let's hope so we shall wait & see. I believe these guys will come in this season with something to proof, but I'm surprised Hanley hasn't gotten an extension yet, this is something that I would like to see done soon. So theirs no issues on this being a distraction later in the season.

DimesD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ethier and Crawford are both overpaid. Crawford is overpaid worse than Ethier is. Also, Crawford did not actually stay healthy last year. .

Exactly. Ethier is slated to make 17-18 mil til 2017 at which time he'll be 35. (2018 is 2 mil buyout which any team will no doubt exercise) Crawford will make 21 mil in 2017, also at 35 years old. I'd keep Ethier for now because he's cheaper and if he produces, it's a better contract to move. I look for Ethier to get his chjit straighten out this year.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford batting leadoff last year: .304/.353/.432

Very good numbers

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford and Ethier are both overpaid and both have their good and bad points. Most of this can be said about most players.

Crawford and Ethier are not the worst guys to have around and they should both contribute when healthy. We will have to wait for the day when upgrades come along. For now, they should do.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford batting leadoff last year: .304/.353/.432

Very good numbers

In only 86 games. His career average for OBP is .322 - which isn't a disaster - but if you can do better than that, you probably should.

Puig's OBP was .391 last season. He did that in 104 games (though only 20 something were as a leadoff hitter). Puig isn't slow either, so I know the old school guys love that.

If I'm Mattingly I have Crawford leadoff against righties and Puig against lefties.

------

Also, since it hasn't been said yet, lineups really dont matter that much anyways. All I'm really interested in is having the lineup alternate lefties and righties if possible. If only for the sake of making things difficult for the opposing team when it comes to playing the bullpen matchups.

My only pet peeves are when the lineup has two lefties hitting back-to-back and having a crappy/scrappy veteran 2B hit second because that's what old school baseball people do for whatever reason.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a long season. Very long.

Frankly, four Outfielders is a GOOD thing.

Set up a four series rotation. Every four series, it's your time to come off the bench. Simple.

Being a National League team, with double switches needed, this is a simple solution. Wait until September, play the best three then. If I know anything, the best three now won't be the best three in September.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go getting rid of any outfielders yet and Kemp needs to just get healthy and quit talking about not being a platoon player because that's exactly what he is right now, at least till he can get healthy and stay healthy.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is already having leg problems. We need to keep guys around who can play the OF especially with Kemp not slated to play much at the beginning of the season. Health is always a key.