• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 4) Atlanta Hawks (48-34) vs 5) Boston Celtics (48-34)

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hardaway keeps dunking someone's gonna give him a flagrant.

Let's hope Smart stays on the bench.

After the way those Celtic players treated Schroeder (Thomas punching him, Crowder "accidentally" placing his knee cap right on top of his balls), it serves them right, lol.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It very well might be a better roster as a whole. He'll have a potential star (in my opinion, anyway) in Schroeder, Korver, Millsap, and Horford, which is three guys who have made the All-Star game in recent seasons. Now, none of those guys are as good as Westbrook, but they're four solid players that'll look amazing with a guy like Durant on the court with them. in addition, he won't have to deal with the Spurs and Warriors, neither of whom are going away in the future and are better teams than the Thunder. I think if the Hawks were to do this, the only team in the East that would be a remote threat to that roster would be Cleveland.

Yeah, the Thunder have some decisions to make too.

They gave Kanter a ungodly amount of dough last year.

So, what do they pay Adam's?

Westbrook will be a FA after next year.

So will Ibaka.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Thunder have some decisions to make too.

They gave Kanter a ungodly amount of dough last year.

So, what do they pay Adam's?

Westbrook will be a FA after next year.

So will Ibaka.

If I'm Durant, I don't see a reason to stay in OKC. If he doesn't sign with the Hawks, it should be somewhere he can win. My bet will be some Eastern somewhere. The Wizards are another team people have talked about him going to.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if we traded Teague, if we could afford to sign Durant and re-sign Horford. I like Teague, but I would love to let the Schroeder era start and get Durant in the process.

After all the screwups from Schroeder in this series, especially in game 4, and you STILL want to start him?

Are we watching the same player? Schroeder in NO WAY is EVER going to be a starter in this league. He's a career backup AT BEST.

Re-signing Horford is probably a mistake too given his age and what you'd have to pay him. If you seriously want Durant you need a rebounder, which Horford is not. He doesn't do enough for what you pay him. You could trade Teague.....but not to start Schroeder. You'd need another legit PG, and you don't have that on the roster currently.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Durant, I don't see a reason to stay in OKC. If he doesn't sign with the Hawks, it should be somewhere he can win. My bet will be some Eastern somewhere. The Wizards are another team people have talked about him going to.

His friendship with Westbrook might be enough to get him to sign for 1 more year.
Then, they can decide as a pair where they want to play moving forward.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better. We should be up 3-1 in this series. Absolutely no reason we should not have won that game.

At least for about 2Qs...the Hawks looked like the Hawks of LY...lot of guys contributing...they need to finish the deal this time in BOS.

Agree with you 100% on KD...it makes sense for a lot of the reasons you've said...maybe Shoreder grows up fast when he knows he's the man, but Horford needs to take something less than max to get one more pc...gotta have a backup PG...what can Hinrich give you now?

It would come down to ATL & CLE for the next couple of yrs...realistically...with KD, the Hawks would be the best chance to have a parade down P'tree.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all the screwups from Schroeder in this series, especially in game 4, and you STILL want to start him?

Are we watching the same player? Schroeder in NO WAY is EVER going to be a starter in this league. He's a career backup AT BEST.

Re-signing Horford is probably a mistake too given his age and what you'd have to pay him. If you seriously want Durant you need a rebounder, which Horford is not. He doesn't do enough for what you pay him. You could trade Teague.....but not to start Schroeder. You'd need another legit PG, and you don't have that on the roster currently.

I'm not anxious to trade Teague. I lean more with you on Schroder. He needs to clean up his game to be a starter...but I don't agree that he can't be a starter...he's not a shoot 1st PG...if you remember Teague 3-4 yrs ago he made a lot of the same mistakes.

I'm not a Horford max deal guy, but Horford as a pc I like...Splitter is a decent pc as a rebounder...IMO KD makes the Hawks level with CLE...with Schroder as the backup, I'd like the Hawks roster a little better.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not anxious to trade Teague. I lean more with you on Schroder. He needs to clean up his game to be a starter...but I don't agree that he can't be a starter...he's not a shoot 1st PG...if you remember Teague 3-4 yrs ago he made a lot of the same mistakes.

I'm not a Horford max deal guy, but Horford as a pc I like...Splitter is a decent pc as a rebounder...IMO KD makes the Hawks level with CLE...with Schroder as the backup, I'd like the Hawks roster a little better.

I don't dislike the roster......but I think nearly everyone on the Hawks roster is overpaid. Horford and Milsap are going to get a LOT more than they should, and it's going to hurt the team longterm. ATL is in a precarious spot.....they don't have the talent to really win, but they have too much to lose. So they're stuck unless they trade away the few assets they have or get lucky in the draft.

Schroeder reminds me of Lin.....decent player, but not a guy you can expect to be dependable or a starter. He's a guy that will one game look great, and the next 3 or 4 be the guy he actually IS.....a backup. The Hawks shouldn't try to fit a round peg in a square hole. I think the coaching staff realizes this which is why you NEVER see a lineup with both Teague and Schroeder on the court at the same time, or Schroeder ever starting without an injury.

Just adding Durant in no way puts them on par with Cleveland. It makes them more interesting as a team.....but Durant isn't going to ATL anyway. I doubt he even considers it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dislike the roster......but I think nearly everyone on the Hawks roster is overpaid. Horford and Milsap are going to get a LOT more than they should, and it's going to hurt the team longterm. ATL is in a precarious spot.....they don't have the talent to really win, but they have too much to lose. So they're stuck unless they trade away the few assets they have or get lucky in the draft.

Schroeder reminds me of Lin.....decent player, but not a guy you can expect to be dependable or a starter. He's a guy that will one game look great, and the next 3 or 4 be the guy he actually IS.....a backup. The Hawks shouldn't try to fit a round peg in a square hole. I think the coaching staff realizes this which is why you NEVER see a lineup with both Teague and Schroeder on the court at the same time, or Schroeder ever starting without an injury.

Just adding Durant in no way puts them on par with Cleveland. It makes them more interesting as a team.....but Durant isn't going to ATL anyway. I doubt he even considers it.
I mean- Atlanta has a lot of shit up in the air no doubt- but they made the ECF last year, and look to be a good bet to make the 2nd round this year....

unless they get really lucky and get a Durant or something I think they are doing pretty decently...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- Atlanta has a lot of shit up in the air no doubt- but they made the ECF last year, and look to be a good bet to make the 2nd round this year....

unless they get really lucky and get a Durant or something I think they are doing pretty decently...

Here's the problem.

They have no legit star on the roster, which is why this is a go nowhere team. They'll never beat a team like Cleveland, no chance. The only way to get that star player is to draft one or trade away what scant LITTLE talent they actually have. Right now they are getting the MAX out of what they have.....this is their ceiling.

They are trying to play like the Spurs.....problem is, they aren't built like the Spurs. No inside presence, no rebounding.....which is KEY if you're going to take 30+ 3 pointers a game.

Perhaps if they changed the offense and focused more on going to the hole they'd fare better but they seem to be locked in on just chucking it up every night. If that is the team they want to be they have to be VERY conservative with their dollars - you can't overpay guys that are NOT stars on a roster like this. You end up stuck with guys that don't produce and you pressure them to be players that they aren't.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL...the make up the team is win now, and I agree they are over paid, but collectively is what the Hawks have been about under coach Bud.

Even though they were all star caliber players, the Spurs key guys all played their roles very well...granted, you can't compare the Hawks roster in any way to the Spurs, but the concept lends itself to a collective effort to win games. What I mean by that is...under Drew's iso OFC...this team probably wins 10 fewer games.

KD...you're probably right that he doesn't come to ATL, (stars have avoided ATL lately even thought they seem to want to live here)

IMO (granted I'm not a 82 game NBA follower like a lot of you guys) He brings that scoring punch the Hawks seem to lack when the competition gets higher.

Are they on par over 82?...idk to be honest, but in a 7 game series...with KD and Teague with Schroder in backup...I'd give the Hawks a puncher's chance to win 4 gms.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps another thing that could work would be letting Horford walk, sign Durant, and keep Teague. Only problem is you need another center. Wouldn't need a great one, just one that can rebound all right.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand is the Hawks risk averse nature.

Milsap and Horford BOTH should have been traded. Instead, they're going to overpay both. Milsap is a prime example......they let a younger, better player in Carrol walk because they didn't want to overpay him......but then they went and overpaid an older player in Milsap that is more limited in what he can do for the team. He also has a habit of disappearing in the playoffs.

Horford is a nice player......but who else wants their center taking 3s all night? NOBODY. For the money they're going to have to dish out, they could be paying to several bigs that at least take up space in the paint and get rebounds. Horford is limited in terms of what he can do for your team......and once again, they're paying a guy over 30 superstar money and getting pedestrian production.

They'd have fared better trading them for more malleable pieces.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps another thing that could work would be letting Horford walk, sign Durant, and keep Teague. Only problem is you need another center. Wouldn't need a great one, just one that can rebound all right.

Maybe Tristan at 8M??

Oh shit. There's a 1 in front of that 8.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whose idea was it to stick the Hawks game on at the same time as the draft? Now I have to miss it. :gaah:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't be hurt, Bazemore.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Block party being hosted by the Hawks.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic, but lol at the Philadelphia Eagles.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teague having issues with his ankle. Sounds like he'll be fine though.