• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 4 Atlanta Hawks (48-34) vs. 1 Cleveland Cavaliers (57-25)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how Hassan 4th quarter minutes went in the 3 close games of the series.

Let's just ignore the fact that he was in foul troube in several of the games.....Wade must be a situational player as well

A couple of things with that. 4 of the 7 games were decided by 10 points or more and 3 were pretty much blowouts. Spo isn't playing Whiteside, or any of his starters heavy minutes in those games. Then, he did have foul trouble in at least 1 other game. He'll need to work on staying out of foul trouble to truly take the next step as a player because he's needed in closer games.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point... but the Cavs are also the only undefeated team and are coming off 8 days of rest. If they can keep their series shorter... I'm not sure it matters.

Their MPG numbers are high... but their MIN numbers are low.
its what coaches DO in the postseason- at least when their starters are GOOD- you go to a 7 or 8 man rotation and the starters up their minutes....its why the rest at the end of the season was utilized- its why a 4 game sweep while the competition was playing 6-7 games was important....

id MUCH rather have a guy play an extra 4-8 minutes a game in the playoffs in 4 games than typical minutes in 7.....plus- LeBron is 31, Kyrie is 24, Love 27...these guys arent Duncan or Wade...

LeBron's postseason was INSANE last year with those minute totals- not only that- but the CAvs have a TON mroe depth this year than afer last offseasons injuries and less talented end of the bench.

Cavs just had a week off while their competition was playing high intensity minutes in long series'.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not arguing that they've been dominant. But they've taken care of business at the end of games. The shorter the series go... the more they can get away with playing high minutes.

I think they have a better chance than the Warriors/Spurs at keeping 1 or 2 of the next 2 series to 4-5 games.

Yeah, they'll have the easier path for sure.

I think GSW ends their series with Portland in 4 or 5 games, but it doesn't look like the Spurs are going to be finishing off OKC in less than 6 games, if at all. A GSW/Spurs or OKC WCF isn't likely to be less than 6 games either.

If the Heat and Cavs play in the ECF, I think that probably goes at least 6 because the Cavs haven't shown they can win in Miami since Lebron returned to Cleveland. If Toronto makes it to the ECF, then the Cavs probably have another 5 game series on their hands, maybe even 4.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Setting aside my dislike for lebron, here's the difference between the cavs and the top two title contenders in the west in San Antonio and GS:

Cleveland has FOUR players in the top 20 in MPG. Golden States top player in MPG is Green at 23rd. San Antonio's is Aldridge at 49th.

Sooner or later, especially if it's a long series, the cavs will be running on empty.

Running on empty? I doubt it. They had 8 days rest in the first series. If they win in 4 or 5 in this series, they are likely to get more rest. Even if they go deep into a series in the ECF, the rest shouldn't be a problem honestly.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running on empty? I doubt it. They had 8 days rest in the first series. If they win in 4 or 5 in this series, they are likely to get more rest. Even if they go deep into a series in the ECF, the rest shouldn't be a problem honestly.
seriously...ESPECIALLY after all the rest they got late in the regular season....the Cavs management has done a phenomenal job in protecting the players and keeping them in the best shape possible.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things with that. 4 of the 7 games were decided by 10 points or more and 3 were pretty much blowouts. Spo isn't playing Whiteside, or any of his starters heavy minutes in those games. Then, he did have foul trouble in at least 1 other game. He'll need to work on staying out of foul trouble to truly take the next step as a player because he's needed in closer games.

Yeah thats understandable but wiggy is acting like he got benched just because.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 8 days of rest was no doubt good for them. As the playoffs move on though, it's unlikely they'll have that again. Also, while they are unbeaten in the playoffs, they haven't exactly been dominant.

The result of that is that they have had to play their starters more minutes than you'd like to see in those games. Compare that to the Spurs who, while they lost last night, were resting their starters by the 4th quarter in the previous 5 games.

True, but one long series vs the Thunder could wear the Spurs. Yes, no matter what the older, veteran guys' minutes will be down but Aldridge played 43, Green and Leonard played 36. I guess that makes up for the fact, like you said, not one player played over 30 minutes Saturday. But if they stretch out the series it will catch up to them regardless. Kyrie only had 34 and that is the most important thing to me and Lebron's minutes are high but is really tricky bc he isn't handled most of the load and doesn't look like he is defended hard for most of the minutes honestly. Either way, a shorter series will benefit any team in the long run.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but one long series vs the Thunder could wear the Spurs. Yes, no matter what the older, veteran guys' minutes will be down but Aldridge played 43, Green and Leonard played 36. I guess that makes up for the fact, like you said, not one player played over 30 minutes Saturday. But if they stretch out the series it will catch up to them regardless. Kyrie only had 34 and that is the most important thing to me and Lebron's minutes are high but is really tricky bc he isn't handled most of the loaded and doesn't look like he is defended hard for most of the minutes honestly. Either way, a shorter series will benefit any team in the long run.
yah it would be really nice to get this wrapped in 5...if not 4...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seriously...ESPECIALLY after all the rest they got late in the regular season....the Cavs management has done a phenomenal job in protecting the players and keeping them in the best shape possible.

So play lebron 41, and Mr glass 40 minutes when your team is 3-0 up in the series is a phenomenal job?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they'll have the easier path for sure.

I think GSW ends their series with Portland in 4 or 5 games, but it doesn't look like the Spurs are going to be finishing off OKC in less than 6 games, if at all. A GSW/Spurs or OKC WCF isn't likely to be less than 6 games either.

If the Heat and Cavs play in the ECF, I think that probably goes at least 6 because the Cavs haven't shown they can win in Miami since Lebron returned to Cleveland. If Toronto makes it to the ECF, then the Cavs probably have another 5 game series on their hands, maybe even 4.

Cavs need Miami in the ECF. They need some semblance of a challenge. I'm sorry, but you need to be tested in the playoffs. There's nothing like going from playing Detroit, Atlanta, and Toronto. Then going up against a team like the Spurs or Warriors that just gives you a reality gut shot.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So play lebron 41, and Mr glass 40 minutes when your team is 3-0 up in the series is a phenomenal job?

Umm if they sweep the series they will most likely get 2 or 3 days more rest than any other team in the playoffs and likely a week overall. Playing 4 or 5 more minutes in each game wont affect them too much especially if they are playing less games overall. Now if they were giving those minutes over a 6 or 7 game series and going into the next series with regular rest than it could be a problem over time but Kyrie at 34 minutes, I will take that all day.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs need Miami in the ECF. They need some semblance of a challenge. I'm sorry, but you need to be tested in the playoffs. There's nothing like going from playing Detroit, Atlanta, and Toronto. Then going up against a team like the Spurs or Warriors that just gives you a reality gut shot.

I think Toronto is a very good team as well and if they beat the Heat will resemble a challenge but it's just a better matchup for the Cavs. Toronto has really good guard play, not nearly what GS offers but they aren't pushovers just a better matchup for Cleveland.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Toronto is a very good team as well and if they beat the Heat will resemble a challenge but it's just a better matchup for the Cavs. Toronto has really good guard play, not nearly what GS offers but they aren't pushovers just a better matchup for Cleveland.

I'll have to disagree with you. Derozan and Lowry have yet to show me they're an elite combo in the playoffs. It will come off as blind homerism, but I'll take our combo of Wade/Dragic over Lowry/Derozan in the playoffs. If you get Toronto in the ECF, it will go 4, and there will be zero challenge.

If you get Miami, it will go 5, possibly 6. It will also force you to adapt given that there's no clear defensive presence for Whiteside in that series. Just so no one makes it seem like a blind homer, I'm saying Cavs would win that series in 5 or 6.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to watch by DVR. My thoughts:
  • Unless he goes beast mode the rest of the series, Horford has played himself out of a new contract by the Hawks. He is not worth the money he is going to demand, and we will effectively doom ourselves by giving him that kind of money. We need to pursue Whiteside hard.
  • I continue to stand by my statement that Schroeder is the future
  • Korver needs to be on the bench, but I've been saying this for, like, two years.
  • For a while, I've been on the fence about Bazemore being re-signed because I don't know how much he's going to ask for, and I don't know if he'll be a consistently good starter. He's starting to make me think we should keep him.

Yep, his two turnovers in the last 3 minutes are the future. I don't know what basketball you are watching......but you can't have a starter giving away the ball in the clutch, something he ROUTINELY does. I'll stand by my statement......he's a bench player, no more, no less. You cannot win if he is your starter.

In terms of who to resign - I think management should look at moving 2 of these 3 or 3 of these 4 players - Milsap, Horford, Teague, Korver

They are the only players worth much of anything trade wise. Overpaying them would be a mistake, one they already made with Milsap.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but one long series vs the Thunder could wear the Spurs. Yes, no matter what the older, veteran guys' minutes will be down but Aldridge played 43, Green and Leonard played 36. I guess that makes up for the fact, like you said, not one player played over 30 minutes Saturday. But if they stretch out the series it will catch up to them regardless. Kyrie only had 34 and that is the most important thing to me and Lebron's minutes are high but is really tricky bc he isn't handled most of the load and doesn't look like he is defended hard for most of the minutes honestly. Either way, a shorter series will benefit any team in the long run.

The way Pop uses minutes tends to prevent that. Last night was the only close game the Spurs have had, yet Duncan, Parker and Ginobili all still played less than 30 minutes. Sure, a longer series may wear them down a little, but Pop does an unbelievable job at staying consistent with their minutes.

He had to have been tempted last night to extend Parkers minutes because even though Parker didn't play great, he was a lot better than Mills, who was horrible. Yet, he resisted the temptation.

I'm not saying that the shorter series don't benefit the Cavs, but I don't think it benefits them as much as some are trying to claim.

If, for example, Kyrie plays 34 minutes per game for 4 games, that's 136 minutes. In a 5 game series, it's 170 minutes. If Parker plays 27 minutes per game over a 6 game series, that's 162 minutes. So, depending on series length, Parker could play more games, but fewer minutes.

End of the day though, I agree, generally speaking the shorter the series, the better. Not just because of minutes, but also because every extra game means a chance of losing someone important to injury.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. The Cavs won't have HCA against either the Warriors or Spurs. A team going from barely being challenged to suddenly facing teams as good as the Warriors or Spurs, may take a game or 2 to adjust. Having to do it on one of those teams home court makes it even tougher. If the Heat can just extend the Cavs to 6 games, it would benefit them.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to disagree with you. Derozan and Lowry have yet to show me they're an elite combo in the playoffs. It will come off as blind homerism, but I'll take our combo of Wade/Dragic over Lowry/Derozan in the playoffs. If you get Toronto in the ECF, it will go 4, and there will be zero challenge.

If you get Miami, it will go 5, possibly 6. It will also force you to adapt given that there's no clear defensive presence for Whiteside in that series. Just so no one makes it seem like a blind homer, I'm saying Cavs would win that series in 5 or 6.

Especially if Dragic shows up like he did in game 7 against Charlotte.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I agree Miami will be the toughest challenge mainly bc of Whiteside. I guess we will see what Toronto is made of, especially there guards bc they will have a tough matchup with Wade/Dragic.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he can get 25% of the cap..or about 22.5....personally- i dont think Whiteside could be the best or even nd best player on a team that goes far so i would let someone else take the risk....but we shall see- 17 teams have room to offer a max and a few have room to offer 2...

The HEat on the other hand do not even have NEAR the cap room to bring this team back- let alone have additions.

Same bullshit different day.
You can say the same or more about Horford, Drummond and all the others, but you won't because of the name on their uniform.

Plus, those teams already try to feature those players vs Whiteside still finding his place, yet he's already statistically better than either of them.

#heathater
#runneruptrophy
#sixmoremonthsuntilwinterinohio