• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 4 Atlanta Hawks (48-34) vs. 1 Cleveland Cavaliers (57-25)

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to watch by DVR. My thoughts:
  • Unless he goes beast mode the rest of the series, Horford has played himself out of a new contract by the Hawks. He is not worth the money he is going to demand, and we will effectively doom ourselves by giving him that kind of money. We need to pursue Whiteside hard.
  • I continue to stand by my statement that Schroeder is the future
  • Korver needs to be on the bench, but I've been saying this for, like, two years.
  • For a while, I've been on the fence about Bazemore being re-signed because I don't know how much he's going to ask for, and I don't know if he'll be a consistently good starter. He's starting to make me think we should keep him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lebron 3 points over what last 6 or 7 minutes...lecarried

He doesn't need to. It's Atlanta and he has stated many times he wants to turn this team over to Kyrie and make him the closer

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Schroder and bazemore played amazing. If the hawks get a game where those two are playing like that AND Horford and Millsap are playing like themselves... they'll win it.

- Good thing Cavs didn't come out too rusty cause they needed every bit of that good start.

- Cavs play in the last five minutes has been great, especially defensively, every game.

- How in the hell did they give Korver 3 shots on that foul???

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Schroder and bazemore played amazing. If the hawks get a game where those two are playing like that AND Horford and Millsap are playing like themselves... they'll win it.

- Good thing Cavs didn't come out too rusty cause they needed every bit of that good start.

- Cavs play in the last five minutes has been great, especially defensively, every game.

- How in the hell did they give Korver 3 shots on that foul???
the CAvs defintely had a major lull there in the 3rd, beginning of the 4th...give schroeder credit- they doubled Korver a lot and dared him to shoot it- and he did and he made a lot of shots. If Dennis Schroeder is there leading scorer and the Cavs are forcing him to beat them- i like our chances and think our coaching staff did a good job.

The Hawks did play better defense than i had expected and seemed to play better than expected on LeBron...Tristan Thompson is a very good matchup for Milsap-- 7 offensive boards for Thompson....this guy is getting CLUTCH offensive rebounds..lol...i didnt even know that was a thing- but its just ridiculous how much it just rips the other teams heart out.

I dont think the Cavs overall played great...i think the over a week off showed a little bit at times...Atlanta seemed more aggressive at times and that seemed to me to be a carry over from that last series with Boston.

It just looks like the Cavs have the Hawks number...the Hawks are probably once again the 2nd best team in the East - have a collection of very solid players and a good coach, a good system...its just not good enough to get passed LeBron.

Kyrie really stepped up in the 4th too....7 straight points in like 1 minute...a great defensive play on that block...hes really coming along- and that might be the most important thing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A media member asked James if Thompson's contributions for the Cavs are similar to what Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman did for the Chicago Bulls. "I think what Dennis did for the Bulls, on the floor -- make sure we note that part -- Double T does for our team," James said. "Just giving us extra possessions, defending guys that are sometimes bigger than him, defending guys that are sometimes smaller than him. We know that every night he’s going to give us everything that he's got, and a lot of it sometimes doesn’t show up in the box score. But what he does on the glass is huge for our team."

In Game 1 Monday night, Thompson's domination on the offensive boards helped demoralize the Hawks late in the fourth quarter as the Cavs pulled out a 104-93 victory at Quicken Loans Arena.

The Cavs center finished with a game-high 14 rebounds, seven offensive, as the Cavs blew an 18-point third-quarter lead but rallied after the Hawks went ahead by one in the fourth quarter.

“When teams play great defense for 24 seconds and he comes up with those rebounds it’s just demoralizing to a team because now they have to come out and guard us again," Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said. "That’s what he’s done for us the last two years. We know what he does and we know what he brings and he knows who he is.”

Thompson gave the Hawks the same problems a year ago, when the Cavs swept them in the conference finals. While Budenholzer tried running three players at Thompson to keep him off the boards, he totaled 44 rebounds, 17 offensive, in the four games.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 7. So, I don't remember it, but I remember learning about it later and Clevelanders hate hearing about it. Which is fun. :heh:

If I was originally from Cleveland I wouldn't tell anyone!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT had a HUGE part of that win, for sure.

Also shout out to Love for playing solid D on the Hawks bigs. The Hawks didn't do toom uch PnR, so Love was left playing a lot of straight-up defense... which he is actually pretty solid at.

Love & TT made life tough for Horford and Millsap.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to watch by DVR. My thoughts:
  • Unless he goes beast mode the rest of the series, Horford has played himself out of a new contract by the Hawks. He is not worth the money he is going to demand, and we will effectively doom ourselves by giving him that kind of money. We need to pursue Whiteside hard.
  • I continue to stand by my statement that Schroeder is the future
  • Korver needs to be on the bench, but I've been saying this for, like, two years.
  • For a while, I've been on the fence about Bazemore being re-signed because I don't know how much he's going to ask for, and I don't know if he'll be a consistently good starter. He's starting to make me think we should keep him.

I'll address these as we seem to be the only Hawks fans.

1. Horford, you are right, he wants a Max deal and we'd be stupid to give it to him here. Whiteside would amazing but I thought he was just re-signed..?

2. I'm not a huge Schroeder fan, but has does have games where he is wonderful. I'm a Teague guy but it does seem like we may need to move on from Jeff since he is getting older and we have Denis behind him.

3. I disagree with this completely. While Korver is a no doubt awful this year, he still draws defenders out of the box, leaving the likes of Denis, Bazemore, Teague and co open for 3's. Watch the game last night and see how wide open some of the 3's are that Denis and Kent had, then pause it and look at Korver, and then you'll notice just how much he still scares teams. He's there for a decoy.

4. I like Kent, and while I wasn't too impressed early on, he's gotten much better and seems to get this team loosen up. Re-sign him I say.

Lastly, I will just say again that while I love Coach Bud, he should not be the GM. He has enough to do, so why doesn't he just worry about the guys on the court and not all the board room stuff.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR's ball denial on Korver all game was awesome. Korver only took 1 shot and that was why. The tnt crew was showing clips of JR and Korver after the game, he was his shadow the whole game.

To @Lucas 's point... even though Korver didn't hit a shot... he occupied a lot of JR's attention and energy, freeing up other guys by taking away the help defense.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT had a HUGE part of that win, for sure.

Also shout out to Love for playing solid D on the Hawks bigs. The Hawks didn't do toom uch PnR, so Love was left playing a lot of straight-up defense... which he is actually pretty solid at.

Love & TT made life tough for Horford and Millsap.
you dont see Lue pulling Thompson out of the game for Udonis Haslem do you?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR's ball denial on Korver all game was awesome. Korver only took 1 shot and that was why. The tnt crew was showing clips of JR and Korver after the game, he was his shadow the whole game.

To @Lucas 's point... even though Korver didn't hit a shot... he occupied a lot of JR's attention and energy, freeing up other guys by taking away the help defense.
I thought Smith played good defense and efficient offense. Played a nice game.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll address these as we seem to be the only Hawks fans.

1. Horford, you are right, he wants a Max deal and we'd be stupid to give it to him here. Whiteside would amazing but I thought he was just re-signed..?

2. I'm not a huge Schroeder fan, but has does have games where he is wonderful. I'm a Teague guy but it does seem like we may need to move on from Jeff since he is getting older and we have Denis behind him.

3. I disagree with this completely. While Korver is a no doubt awful this year, he still draws defenders out of the box, leaving the likes of Denis, Bazemore, Teague and co open for 3's. Watch the game last night and see how wide open some of the 3's are that Denis and Kent had, then pause it and look at Korver, and then you'll notice just how much he still scares teams. He's there for a decoy.

4. I like Kent, and while I wasn't too impressed early on, he's gotten much better and seems to get this team loosen up. Re-sign him I say.

Lastly, I will just say again that while I love Coach Bud, he should not be the GM. He has enough to do, so why doesn't he just worry about the guys on the court and not all the board room stuff.

I think Korver's value would be maximized if we had someone that could create their own shots.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Korver's value would be maximized if we had someone that could create their own shots.

No doubt about it. I also think he would be more useful if we had a player that would just take it hard to the basket and not be afraid of hard contact while drawing fouls, but that's just not who we are.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the guy who's coach doesnt even trust him to play ahead of Udonis Haslem when the going gets tough? LOL

Haslem played late in one 4th quarter over Hassan. Speolstra decided to stick with the group who made the comeback in game 4 for most of the 4th which is not uncommon Please don't make up your garbage lies as always.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haslem played late in one 4th quarter over Hassan. Speolstra decided to stick with the group who made the comeback in game 4 for most of the 4th which is not uncommon Please don't make up your garbage lies as always.
yah its garbage lies that he got pulled off the court in crunch time for an ancient veteran that can barely move ...the "most dominant center in the league" getting less than 30 minutes a night IN THE PLAYOFFS

what a fucking joke. As i said- hasnt been a game yet this postseason where Hassan has had an impact like Tristan did last night- and there wont be. His own coach barely trusts him.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah its garbage lies that he got pulled off the court in crunch time for an ancient veteran that can barely move ...the "most dominant center in the league" getting less than 30 minutes a night IN THE PLAYOFFS

what a fucking joke. As i said- hasnt been a game yet this postseason where Hassan has had an impact like Tristan did last night- and there wont be. His own coach barely trusts him.

He didn't get pulled in crunch time you dumb fuck. He was taking out towards the end of the 3rd along with others for his usual 3rd quarter rest. The group that came in brought the Heat back in the game so Spo stuck with them far longer than usually does. He went back to Hassan and others later on in the 4th