• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

34-64-94 MLB Draft : CHAT

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think those type of stats are insecure ways for stat geeks to spin modern players as being better than old time players. But I will play....I can spin numbers too.

1926... Manush lead the A.L. in batting average at .378(2nd place was some guy named Babe Ruth). That same Year, he was 3rd in the league in slugging at .564(4th was some guy named Gehrig at .549). That same year, he was 4th in the league in Offensive WAR AT 5.8(some guy named Speaker was 9th at 4.8), and he was 2nd in the league in adjusted OPS at 154(some guy named Eddie Collins was 8th at 138).

Yep Milk, he sucked....
No one's saying he sucked, but the .330 batting average doesn't connote the type of success a .330 career batting average normally would when you consider his OBP was only .379 and he only walked 6% of the time. And Milk certainly has the right idea with his era being taken into consideration. His wOBA in 1926 was .450, which is obviously phenomenal, but then the league wOBA was .345, making Manush's wOBA 30% better than league average. Fucking fantastic season, but it can also be misleading. In 1968, Carl Yastrzemski had a wOBA of .414. On the surface, not as good, but then the league wOBA was .291, making his wOBA 42% better.

The league someone played in always has to be taken into account.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did want him as my 2 spot, but I am fine with Chapman there.

Okay just looking out for you. Chapman was a great pick.

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could absolutely see a .400 hitter again if A)there were someone talented enough to do it, who B) cared more about hitting for average than trying to yank more bombs for a bigger contract and C) were willing to put the work in to do it. Let me give you a prime example of what today's player lacks, and we don't have to travel that far back to do it...Tony Gwynn. When Gwynn played, there was no internet. He had his wife videotape all of his games, and he took extensive notes on every pitcher he ever faced, on every at bat he ever had, on the pitch sequence, the go to pitch, the defensive alignment. Imagine if he had all the modern technology of today. All the hours of work and study he put in every day. If you TRULY watch a game today, you will see some old school ballplayers, and you will also see a TON of guys that don't have the first fucking clue on how to play the game. Not moving runners, I mean, good Lord Man, to watch a major league game, and see a defense shifted with no one covering 3rd base side against a LHH, and NO ONE is willing to drop a bunt and take an easy single. Absurd. Today's guys are all about their fantasy numbers, their contracts, and playing XBox or jet setting than studying the game. In a way, who can blame them, 30 years ago ever, guys weren't set for life off their rookie deal, they HAD to approach the game like a job. Just don't tell me it can't be done because the pitching is better, because that is a flat out joke my friend

Somebody had the saltiness Goose Gossage has for breakfast every morning :suds:

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did just text Johnny...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I missed some shit. Not really sure what I was going for with that cy Young post I didn't even wanna pick him and idk if I was even otc. Idk no memory of that lol. That didn't count as a pick right?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I missed some shit. Not really sure what I was going for with that cy Young post I didn't even wanna pick him and idk if I was even otc. Idk no memory of that lol. That didn't count as a pick right?
I thought it was a good pick.

Especially since you were trippin balls.

Lol

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a good pick.

Especially since you were trippin balls.

Lol

Lol I have no idea what I was thinking I was just gonna wait for you to use your wc. Not sure what inspired me to say that in this thread of all places and when I wasn't otc.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I have no idea what I was thinking I was just gonna wait for you to use your wc. Not sure what inspired me to say that in this thread of all places and when I wasn't otc.
Thought you just were lost and were picking. Lol

I don't know about you, but Young, Seaver and Carleton seem like the Top Three left for us. Id like to take Rube Waddell, but I know that isn't wise so I won't.

Young should be the obvious best pick, but the dude is so hard to put a value on.

Not sure if I'll wait till Round 25 or use my WC at some point when Ritz is hell bent on skipping me. Lol. But I'm fine with any of the three.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one's saying he sucked, but the .330 batting average doesn't connote the type of success a .330 career batting average normally would when you consider his OBP was only .379 and he only walked 6% of the time. And Milk certainly has the right idea with his era being taken into consideration. His wOBA in 1926 was .450, which is obviously phenomenal, but then the league wOBA was .345, making Manush's wOBA 30% better than league average. Fucking fantastic season, but it can also be misleading. In 1968, Carl Yastrzemski had a wOBA of .414. On the surface, not as good, but then the league wOBA was .291, making his wOBA 42% better.

The league someone played in always has to be taken into account.
.379 wouldn't matter if the league leader was .450. When .379 beat guys named Ruth, Gehrig, Speaker and Collins, when it is the highest average on the planet that year, it deserves full respect. If you can't see that your dumber tga
Yeah, Mebert said he wanted him, but never offered.

If still ok with UK, I think we have a deal for Stargell
Yep, Stoke trades Stargell to UK for Joe Medwick

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.379 wouldn't matter if the league leader was .450. When .379 beat guys named Ruth, Gehrig, Speaker and Collins, when it is the highest average on the planet that year, it deserves full respect. If you can't see that your dumber tga

Yep, Stoke trades Stargell to UK for Joe Medwick
1. Batting average is a very insignificant and rather unimportant statistic when looked at by itself.
2. .378 was his batting average for one season, not his career.
3. League context certainly does matter. While there are many theories as to why hitters dominated the '20s (livelier ball, outlawing of spitballs, smaller fences, increased focus on hitting, smaller strike zone, and many more), one thing is clear- they dominated the '20s. So hitting .378 then is not the same as hitting .378 today.
4. You act as if Manush blew Ruth out of the water. His BA was six points lower.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, nobody is "disrespecting" Manush. He was a good player whose numbers are inflated by the era he played in.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Batting average is a very insignificant and rather unimportant statistic when looked at by itself.
2. .378 was his batting average for one season, not his career.
3. League context certainly does matter. While there are many theories as to why hitters dominated the '20s (livelier ball, outlawing of spitballs, smaller fences, increased focus on hitting, smaller strike zone, and many more), one thing is clear- they dominated the '20s. So hitting .378 then is not the same as hitting .378 today.
4. You act as if Manush blew Ruth out of the water. His BA was six points lower.
I have zero respect for your opinion Omar .Whatever

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you haven't a retort? Or is your retort that you concede I'm right and have nothing to add

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UK, that was uncalled for... You can dislike Omar all you want, and i don't appreciate how he can get rude in arguments... But he did come back with a couple arguments without being rude... you don't have to be

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK, that was uncalled for... You can dislike Omar all you want, and i don't appreciate how he can get rude in arguments... But he did come back with a couple arguments without being rude... you don't have to be
I believe that your feelings of rudeness that come from me are often in reply to someone who was rude first. Not always, as I can be direct in trying to express my beliefs, but I think that's generally the case. But I don't want to tell you how to perceive me. If people want to think of me as a jackass, that's fine, so long as I learn something from them and hopefully they learn something from me.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's BS Milk .Omar runs his mouth to Nos (who has forgotten more about baseball than that boy knows), Soviet couldn't care less if he goes 1-10 on non confrontational posts .Especially when they are absurd

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's BS Milk .Omar runs his mouth to Nos (who has forgotten more about baseball than that boy knows), Soviet couldn't care less if he goes 1-10 on non confrontational posts .Especially when they are absurd
You're calling them absurd instead of actually explaining why they are absurd. Don't you find that odd?