• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

34-64-94 MLB Draft : CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both stats are given by baseball reference...

lgAVG is the league that the player played in(AL or NL) average discounting pitcher offensive statistics...

AIR is a stat that attempts to measure whether a player plays in a hitter friendly or pitcher friendly surroundings... It takes the average OBP and SLG off all players who played in the same ballparks that the player did during that season... and compares it to a base OBP and SLG... Basically any number over 100 is hitters friendly and anything lower than 100 is pitchers friendly... It sure is not a perfect statistic, but it does attempt to do something that i appreciate...
I think those type of stats are insecure ways for stat geeks to spin modern players as being better than old time players. But I will play....I can spin numbers too.

1926... Manush lead the A.L. in batting average at .378(2nd place was some guy named Babe Ruth). That same Year, he was 3rd in the league in slugging at .564(4th was some guy named Gehrig at .549). That same year, he was 4th in the league in Offensive WAR AT 5.8(some guy named Speaker was 9th at 4.8), and he was 2nd in the league in adjusted OPS at 154(some guy named Eddie Collins was 8th at 138).

Yep Milk, he sucked....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though, and this is an argument me and UK have had many times... AND surprisingly enough the argument that started the OMAR vs NOS and UK battle... But I think the stats of players back then were padded a lot...
You just don't get it do ya Milk? I think you should compare players of an era vs players from an era to determine greatness, plain and simple. The greatest players from the past, had they been born in 1990, I 100% guarantee they would have been every bit as good if not better than the players today. IMO, Mantle was better than Trout will ever be. But you make Mantle 26 today, let him play select ball since he was 10, have hitting mechanics lessons, advanced nutrition and sport specific weight training, and he'd blow Trout's ass off the field. If you put Babe Ruth out there today at 26, and let his ass look like a pin cushion like most of the modern players, and he's hitting 100 bombs. Yes 100. Barry Bonds hitting over 70 bombs a year when a great year for him in his 20's was 35....you want to talk about inflated numbers,,,,if anyone's numbers are inflated, it's modern doped up players

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think those type of stats are insecure ways for stat geeks to spin modern players as being better than old time players. But I will play....I can spin numbers too.

1926... Manush lead the A.L. in batting average at .378(2nd place was some guy named Babe Ruth). That same Year, he was 3rd in the league in slugging at .564(4th was some guy named Gehrig at .549). That same year, he was 4th in the league in Offensive WAR AT 5.8(some guy named Speaker was 9th at 4.8), and he was 2nd in the league in adjusted OPS at 154(some guy named Eddie Collins was 8th at 138).

Yep Milk, he sucked....

I didn't say he sucked... just concluded that different eras are different... you can't just say player A is great because of his BA, when BA were higher back then...

I said this before, we use steroid era players in the middle of the lineup because they had more power, and we use earlier players in the top of the order because of BA and lack of SOs... I am guilty of it too, i drafted buddy myer this draft because of his lack of SOs and good OBP.... he was above average, but when the average is so good at those skills that does not mean the player was as good as his numbers IMO....

I have always said that the best players of any era would be great in any era... But it is not a coincidence that we will never see a .400 BA hitter anymore.... and it is not because those players were better...

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Can we stop the UK vs Milk battle. It's normally fun but I got spoiled once Omar started posting. I miss him already

2) @Johnnydollaz89 is OTC and I texted Nos to text him

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he sucked... just concluded that different eras are different... you can't just say player A is great because of his BA, when BA were higher back then...

I said this before, we use steroid era players in the middle of the lineup because they had more power, and we use earlier players in the top of the order because of BA and lack of SOs... I am guilty of it too, i drafted buddy myer this draft because of his lack of SOs and good OBP.... he was above average, but when the average is so good at those skills that does not mean the player was as good as his numbers IMO....

I have always said that the best players of any era would be great in any era... But it is not a coincidence that we will never see a .400 BA hitter anymore.... and it is not because those players were better...
We could absolutely see a .400 hitter again if A)there were someone talented enough to do it, who B) cared more about hitting for average than trying to yank more bombs for a bigger contract and C) were willing to put the work in to do it. Let me give you a prime example of what today's player lacks, and we don't have to travel that far back to do it...Tony Gwynn. When Gwynn played, there was no internet. He had his wife videotape all of his games, and he took extensive notes on every pitcher he ever faced, on every at bat he ever had, on the pitch sequence, the go to pitch, the defensive alignment. Imagine if he had all the modern technology of today. All the hours of work and study he put in every day. If you TRULY watch a game today, you will see some old school ballplayers, and you will also see a TON of guys that don't have the first fucking clue on how to play the game. Not moving runners, I mean, good Lord Man, to watch a major league game, and see a defense shifted with no one covering 3rd base side against a LHH, and NO ONE is willing to drop a bunt and take an easy single. Absurd. Today's guys are all about their fantasy numbers, their contracts, and playing XBox or jet setting than studying the game. In a way, who can blame them, 30 years ago ever, guys weren't set for life off their rookie deal, they HAD to approach the game like a job. Just don't tell me it can't be done because the pitching is better, because that is a flat out joke my friend

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Can we stop the UK vs Milk battle. It's normally fun but I got spoiled once Omar started posting. I miss him already

2) @Johnnydollaz89 is OTC and I texted Nos to text him

No problem... Me and UK will never agree about this... Omar is fun to listen to for a while, but he attacks way too much....

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could absolutely see a .400 hitter again if A)there were someone talented enough to do it, who B) cared more about hitting for average than trying to yank more bombs for a bigger contract and C) were willing to put the work in to do it. Let me give you a prime example of what today's player lacks, and we don't have to travel that far back to do it...Tony Gwynn. When Gwynn played, there was no internet. He had his wife videotape all of his games, and he took extensive notes on every pitcher he ever faced, on every at bat he ever had, on the pitch sequence, the go to pitch, the defensive alignment. Imagine if he had all the modern technology of today. All the hours of work and study he put in every day. If you TRULY watch a game today, you will see some old school ballplayers, and you will also see a TON of guys that don't have the first fucking clue on how to play the game. Not moving runners, I mean, good Lord Man, to watch a major league game, and see a defense shifted with no one covering 3rd base side against a LHH, and NO ONE is willing to drop a bunt and take an easy single. Absurd. Today's guys are all about their fantasy numbers, their contracts, and playing XBox or jet setting than studying the game. In a way, who can blame them, 30 years ago ever, guys weren't set for life off their rookie deal, they HAD to approach the game like a job. Just don't tell me it can't be done because the pitching is better, because that is a flat out joke my friend

again, i don't agree with you at all... kids have always had distractions in every era, and to think that the successful ones haven't worked their asses off(at a similar rate) is a joke...

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My God I want to throw the fucking remote at the TV when I see 3rd base side wide open and the hitter can't lay down a bunt properly or still tries to hit against the shift. I was the absolute worst hitter of all pee wee baseball but I could have bunted if they left 3rd base open. Side note I was so bad that I literally got hit more times then I ever got a real hit. My dad was the umpire and the other teams coach complained that it wasn't fair until my dad called me out everytime I was up. He was a tough SOB but a fair SOB. Anyways I do feel today's hitters have it better then before because of technology and we know more because of past lessons learned. The more years we play the better hitters and pitchers will be. Also if Roger Clemens and Lefty Gomez were ever on the same team that it instantly would make it the best team ever I've seen it on the stat w"qr_3x from MLB pro fakeness.com

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Omar 382 aren't you glad your Eagles A) fired Kelly B) That Titans didn't accept this deal

Kelly made to the Titans to move up to the No. 2 pick in last year's draft to select Mariota. Per Schrager, the Eagles offered the Titans their 2015 first- and second-round picks, their 2016 first-round pick, any quarterback on their roster and any defensive player on their roster in exchange for the No. 2 overall pick.

My question is why the hell didn't the Titans jump on this offer.

Chip Kelly's reported trade offer for Marcus Mariota utterly insane
Yeah, fucking crazy Chip Kelly. Thank God he's gone. Basically the only move worth commending him for is trading Foles for Bradford (which ironically at the time I was real pissed about)