• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30 for 30: Walsh offered Montana for Elway in '83

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I heard about it earlier in the day. One of ESPNs newer 30 for 30's is about the '83 QB class, through the perspective of agent Marvin Demoff. I guess the producers had a journal of Demoff's, who represented Elway and Marino.

He detailed a bunch of trade scenarios that were being offered to Baltimore by teams trying to trade up for Elway (arguably the best QB prospect ever). One of them was made by Bill Walsh, who Demoff wrote was offering Joe Montana. Pretty incredible to think about.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in 1983 Joe Montana only won a single Super Bowl and arguably the definitive moment of that game was the goal-line stand, not exceptional QB play. I guess this also shows that the predominant thinking of all coaches is that they are always searching for a QB with better measurables. They want the strongest arm and the fastest runner. Walsh trading for Young a few years later proves this, and I guess trying to get Elway just shows that Walsh was always searching for that and not just looking for a new guy after Montana's back injury.

I guess you can't really hold it against anyone for thinking that way. Montana and Brady are more like exceptions to the rule. Elway, Marino, Favre, and Peyton have put up gaudy numbers. Although chasing that big arm also leads to the Leafs, Russells, Georges, and Drunkenmillers of the NFL world

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I heard about it earlier in the day. One of ESPNs newer 30 for 30's is about the '83 QB class, through the perspective of agent Marvin Demoff. I guess the producers had a journal of Demoff's, who represented Elway and Marino.

He detailed a bunch of trade scenarios that were being offered to Baltimore by teams trying to trade up for Elway (arguably the best QB prospect ever). One of them was made by Bill Walsh, who Demoff wrote was offering Joe Montana. Pretty incredible to think about.

Wow! I was surprised when I saw that on the show. Thank god we didn't get that shitbird in place of Montana.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in 1983 Joe Montana only won a single Super Bowl and arguably the definitive moment of that game was the goal-line stand, not exceptional QB play. I guess this also shows that the predominant thinking of all coaches is that they are always searching for a QB with better measurables. They want the strongest arm and the fastest runner. Walsh trading for Young a few years later proves this, and I guess trying to get Elway just shows that Walsh was always searching for that and not just looking for a new guy after Montana's back injury.

I guess you can't really hold it against anyone for thinking that way. Montana and Brady are more like exceptions to the rule. Elway, Marino, Favre, and Peyton have put up gaudy numbers. Although chasing that big arm also leads to the Leafs, Russells, Georges, and Drunkenmillers of the NFL world

Doesn't matter. The definitive moment in Montana's career and the 49er resurgence was the TD to Clark in the NFC Championship game against the hated Cowboys. The Super Bowl was an afterthought.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter. The definitive moment in Montana's career and the 49er resurgence was the TD to Clark in the NFC Championship game against the hated Cowboys. The Super Bowl was an afterthought.

Exactly. It was like the Miracle defeating Russia. That was the moment, and the actual gold medal match was soon forgotten.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what made walsh great. he was always looking for talent. eventually we bring in young and won another super bowl after montana was gone. had walsh stayed around as a GM i bet we would have won more with young.