• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30 for 30 Elway to Marino. Draft shaped NFL

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RedALert, I really disliked Elway being a Raider guy. But when he retired like you I realized he was maybe the best of all time. Certainly top 5. Just my opinion..

Chiefs fan here, so I rooted against the Broncos a lot.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one guy ever frustrated me more than Elway, his name was Fran Tarkenton.

Too small to be an NFL qb they said.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC west was very fun in the 80s... Heck Seattle was even competitive back then. I am starting to miss em in the AFC west man... Glad they arent in their now. They are putting together a hell of a team....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one guy ever frustrated me more than Elway, his name was Fran Tarkenton.

Too small to be an NFL qb they said.

Yeah my Dad told me about Fran. Year Raiders beat Vikes in the SuperBowl is the year I was born... I actually have pics of me in Raider gear for the Eagles SB and remember the Redskins SB. But man, hasnt been alot to get excited about as a Raider minus the Gannon years. Thanks for him BTW:suds:

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Shannon Sharpe doing the play-by-play.

I can't understand what he's saying on the football broadcast.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he went Eli Manning before it was vogue. When Daddys get involved such as Jack Elway and Archie Manning these things seem to happen. Both Eli and Elway both have 2 rings now however.

Elway was a cocky SOB man.
Not exactly. Eli had no other option to fall back on like Elway did with a career in Baseball.

My guess is that traveling back and forth from Indianapolis to NY to see their kids play football was easier than Indy to San Diego.

Eli is a douchebag who thought it was his right to play in the NFL, instead of a privilege. Fuck that POS

Last edited by a moderator:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, there is apparently more to the story re: Eli not wanting to go to the Chargers. It seems that it was because the Chargers front office was so dysfunctional!! Apparently, Archie and Eli flew to San Diego to meet with them and no one was there at the airport to meet them. Pretty unprofessional.
I find that very hard to believe, especially for the possible 1st pick in the draft.

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couplke years later Denver had a huge old-timers baseball game and all the top HOFers were there. Dimaggio, Mantle, Mays and Elway. They let him play some third base and he made a couple nice stops.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway is a dick for that move

Yes, he went Eli Manning before it was vogue. When Daddys get involved such as Jack Elway and Archie Manning these things seem to happen. Both Eli and Elway both have 2 rings now however.

Elway was a cocky SOB man.

I disagree with these statements. Elway was a legit 1st rounder in the MLB draft. There was an SI cover back in the day showing him juggling a football and a baseball. While I think FB was obviously his first choice, I think BB was a close second. He knew he didn't want to go to Baltimore and had a back-up plan.

Not much different than today's free agents bolting from their teams.

I would hardly compare Jack Elway to Archie Manning. Jack was a HS FB coach from Grenada(sp), California who followed his son to college and the pros. John Elway is an educated, Stanford graduate who knew he had options.

Eli's move was that of a spoiled brat with a HOF old man and brother.

What was Eli's back-up plan?

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of different opinions, both Eli & Elway were just trying to do things in THEIR OWN best interest. Don't we all try to do just that?

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a good one, Tony. One of the greats even though he never really had much of a defense or a running game. Elway was better though, possibly the best ever.

It's all just a matter of opinion, and you know what they say about opinions and assNoles.

:laugh3:

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I have not noticed any assNole fans on here. Are there any, or is this a Nole-free zone?

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love 30 / 30 s.

My favorite is called "Unguarded" about that amazing white point guard out of Boston that was a straight up junkie.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love 30 / 30 s.

My favorite is called "Unguarded" about that amazing white point guard out of Boston that was a straight up junkie.

Ya I saw that one. I like the one about that hoop star Benji that got shot in Chicago.... Kid was gonna be a superstar

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite memory of Elway was his first game. As a Seahawk fan we were of course interested in seeing this kid in action. Elway comes out of the huddle and goes under GUARD lol. A lot of people laughed about that for many, many years.

As for greatest? Not in my book. Montana > Elway as I see it. Mr Comeback was as calm under pressure as it gets and the 9'ers were never out of a game as long as he was in it. Elway was great, but Montana was the king of that era.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Montana > Elway or Marino.

4 - 0 in Superbowls, 3 MVPs.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and like Tony said it's all a matter of opinion. There are some damn good quarterbacks in the league (Brady, Rogers, Peyton, etc.). Those guys are incredible. My sports memories date to the 80s. For me personally Elway and Montana were the best that I ever saw. 1a and 1b. Tough to pick one over the other.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And FWIW, while you guys are criticizing Eli and Elway for trying to look after their best interests, where is the criticism for Jim Kelly. He did not want to play for the Buffalo Bills, but they drafted him anyways, so he went to play with the Houston Gamblers of the USFL. Shame on him for seeking other options. How about Herschel Walker? He turned down the NFL for the USFL, also, along with other future NFL stars. Shame on all of them for turning their noses up to the NFL to do what was best for themselves.