• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Important Question for the Board #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can John Elway find, develop or trade for the next Denver Bronco Franchise QB and have the QB in place faster than the remarkable Bronco Defense can degrade from its current heights?

Surely - John Elway doesn't want to to design a football team that can win with consistency - Quarterbacked by a game manager QB.

He also knows the history of finding a franchise QB is not helpful -it was the white whale Mike Shanahan chased and failed to catch.

There are two cases where a great QB was followed by another great QB - Steve Young following Joe Montana - and Aaron Rodgers following Bret Favre. I can't think of any other examples - the norm is that franchises are rarely that lucky. Vince Lombardi used to say - "Luck is the product of design." In building a football team - you put yourself in place to be lucky.

Hence the logic of what we have been reading about the Broncos and a QB this season:

Sanchez - Scrap heap candidate. He has the physical and metal skills for the position, but in the past has not really shown the commitment or the focus to be a consistent performer. Reports are he is camping out in the Bronco's Dove Valley facility - showing his commitment. From his quotes and interviews - he is certainly posing himself as having the right psychology about this opportunity. Maybe John Elway strikes lightening.

Kaepernick - Not on the team - may not be on the team. The Broncos are sweating the 9ers out - because if Elway is going to give Kaep a chance - it will be on his terms. It was first reported the Broncos were offering a 3 (end of 3rd round) pick. After Sanchez came on board - now it is being reported that the Broncos are offering a 4th round pick (end of 4th round). This is a very fancy manuever - as the Broncos actually got a chance to talk to Kaepernick about a contract update - based on the idea they were offering a pick. Now Elway is having the 9ers sweat out whether the Broncos are just waiting for the 9ers to cut Kaep and save the money. The point here is - if Elway is going to search for lightening in a bottle - he wants a bunch of cheap bottles - so he can put himself into position to be lucky from multiple sources. Personally - I think Kaepernick is a threat to run the ball so well - it sets up a whole lot of offense from Kubiak.

Trevor Siemian - Late round draft pick - showed some moxie against the pass rush in college - has the arms - brains and mechanics to be a good QB. Can he lead - can he be consistent - can he make good decisions with the ball? Elway certainly isn't going to trust his franchise with a 7th round pick with one year of experience, but he does know the kid could take off in his development and the best way for the Broncos to bring it out of him is to surround him with competition. The 3rd case of lightening in the Elway bottle.

Draft pick 2016 - I think John Elway - probably wants to hedge his QB bets for now - with a guy who can take over in 2019 -when one or both of Sanchez and Kaepernick can be released from a salary cap point of view. I do think the Broncos take a QB very high in the draft with the idea to develop the guy to take over the franchise.

How do you find a franchise QB - you plant a lot of seeds and see what comes up.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck followed Manning.
I think Kap to Denver is a done deal just waiting out his injury issues for compliance with CBA.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck followed Manning.
I think Kap to Denver is a done deal just waiting out his injury issues for compliance with CBA.
True, but the jury is still out on whether Luck will end up a great QB. Right now I'd say he is a good QB that could become great, or stay simply good.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the question:

Is it better to sign a bunch of guys who each has a conceivable path to being a top QB - and let them battle it out, or, do you do as Crash suggests - fall in love with a particular guy and pay him whatever it takes?

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost to take a player that the Broncos might be in love with (Wentz, Goff, Lynch) is too steep in my opinion. The risk of top flight draft picks just isn't worth trying to move up from 31st in the draft. The Broncos need another veteran and they should draft a mid round guy and see where the chips fall. We may be waiting for another year or two before our franchise guy emerges, IMO.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the question:

Is it better to sign a bunch of guys who each has a conceivable path to being a top QB - and let them battle it out, or, do you do as Crash suggests - fall in love with a particular guy and pay him whatever it takes?
Personally I don't see any player in this draft that would fall into the " pay whatever it takes " category. Not saying there isn't some excellent talent or possible future HOF in this draft but there just isn't that " dominant " can't miss guy out there especially at the qb position that mostly garnishes the " give up the fort " to get him move. Tunsil,Elliot, Jalen Smith if he didn't get hurt are maybe ,maybe solid bets to gamble on losing multiple pks on. Definitely no wrs. IMO,of course.:)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with getting the best ???????????????

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fall in love with a particular guy and pay him whatever it takes?

Ask the redskins how that panned out... Or the saints...

I think the last guy that worked out after the team gave up quite a bit to get him was Julio Jones and I am not even sure you couldn't replace most of his production and keep some picks.

If you KNEW the drafted QB would be your 15 year franchise guy, then yes. That is a huge gamble though.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the question:

Well, you can't play multiple QBs at one time. You're eventually gonna have to settle on one eventually. The question becomes are you willing to cut bait on a guy you believed could be the guy if he turns out not to be a franchise guy. I think Elway has shown the ability to do this with moving on from Tebow and Osweiler, each of whom had some inklings of promise but neither of which were THE guy.

I trust Elway's ability to find THE franchise kind of QB. But I also accept that those guys are few and far between and it's not like John can just mosey on over the the Quarterback Warehouse and just grab one off the shelf. If it takes a few years to find a franchise QB, eh, I can wait. We just came off a Super Bowl victory. I'm good for a few years.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is Thursday we will know if the 49 plan on keeping CK ..

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many top #1's has Cleveland had recently? Do they still need a QB?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kaepernick - gets better - passes his physical and the 9ers will want to get rid of him and end up trading him for a 6th rounder and paying part of his salary (a major chunk).

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kaepernick - gets better - passes his physical and the 9ers will want to get rid of him and end up trading him for a 6th rounder and paying part of his salary (a major chunk).
Now that would be Elway just flat out abusing the league and the 9ers specifically.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many top #1's has Cleveland had recently? Do they still need a QB?

Just think soon enough Brady will retire and you brilliant Coaches will actually have a job.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am pretty sure Clady is some how part of this trade .. I guess there is a possibility of him going to a different team ?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold up might be us wanting something for Clady and it being held up by time because no one wants to unload draft picks until they see how the draft falls for a wile ? who knows this one has me stump

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure Clady is some how part of this trade .. I guess there is a possibility of him going to a different team ?

I have read that in some places. Elway is going to make a very dramatic move at some point - you just know it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold up might be us wanting something for Clady and it being held up by time because no one wants to unload draft picks until they see how the draft falls for a wile ? who knows this one has me stump

You and everybody else. It is going to be football season before you know what you've got.....
(probably Kaepernick)

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that in some places. Elway is going to make a very dramatic move at some point - you just know it.
I think the drama in this offseason is that there hasn't been any.