• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3 best stats to judge a hitter on

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Sacs

2) Foul balls

3) W-L

Hands down top 3 that help the team the most.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) Sacs

2) Foul balls

3) W-L

Hands down top 3 that help the team the most.

Need to explain -- IMO most important hitter stats are those that measure "getting on' and 'getting in'.

#1 Ninth Inning RBI (high leverage and high probability its a game changer)
#2 RBI (bringing in runs most important job of a hitter)
#3 OBP (getting on base second only in importance to getting 'batted in')

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wRC+
wOBA

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to explain -- IMO most important hitter stats are those that measure "getting on' and 'getting in'.

#1 Ninth Inning RBI (high leverage and high probability its a game changer)
#2 RBI (bringing in runs most important job of a hitter)
#3 OBP (getting on base second only in importance to getting 'batted in')

What if the game is decided in the 7th or 8th inning? Not to mention, what if a guy gets an RBI in the 9th inning of a 10-1 game? How highly are you valuing 9th inning RBIs in either of those cases?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the game is decided in the 7th or 8th inning? Not to mention, what if a guy gets an RBI in the 9th inning of a 10-1 game? How highly are you valuing 9th inning RBIs in either of those cases?

seems like that post was a joke reply to the OP joke.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think traditional RBIs are over valued when looking at a player too. A lot of driving guys in comes down to who, if anyone, is on base.

I know traditional stats take a lot of flake lately but I still think AVG, OBP, and SLG are best for judging a hitter.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think traditional RBIs are over valued when looking at a player too. A lot of driving guys in comes down to who, if anyone, is on base.

I know traditional stats take a lot of flake lately but I still think AVG, OBP, and SLG are best for judging a hitter.

They're a good place to start.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I realized the OP was a joke ... but I decided to answer it straight.

Task was to list the 3 best stats to evaluate a hitter. Since the objective of the game is to score runs then the hitter's role is to get guys home first ... with a second priority of getting on base ahead of the guy who drives you home.

I need to do the research to find out how may 9th inning RBIs are game winners ... so fair criticism as to why the 9th inning RBI ought to be #1 while the regular old any inning RBI is #2. But since the objective is winning the game ... rather than 9th inning RBIs ... I think I'll change that to game winning RBIs as #1.

As for #3 ... OBP is far more relevant than AVG or SLG in this context. SLG will get captured in RBI ... and if you have lots of 2 out doubles and get stranded ... so what? Didn't means squat. Your OBP is credited for that double ... and as long as you score you win. But I can see the arguments for OBP and SLG (not BA).

So my revised most important hitter stats are ...

#1 Game winning RBI
#2 RBI
#3 OPS

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1 Game winning RBI
#2 RBI
#3 OPS

I'm certainly no expert, but these seem like three strong candidates. I would, however, reverse the ordering, since the first two are increasingly more situational dependent than the last.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1 Game winning RBI
#2 RBI
#3 OPS
Game winning RBI shouldn't be a metric on here. If clutch 'Game winning RBI guy' was a sustainable stat, the Cardinals would be World Champions right now

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Game winning RBI shouldn't be a metric on here. If clutch 'Game winning RBI guy' was a sustainable stat, the Cardinals would be World Champions right now

Post season batting stats are separate from regular season batting stats because of the roster shift and schedule which strengthen the pitching effect. However, even in the WS batting can play a role ... and STL pitching couldn't solve David Ortiz ... so lost the WS.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try to stay on topic. This thread is about how best to judge individual hitters, not entire teams. :whistle:

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized the OP was a joke ... but I decided to answer it straight.

Task was to list the 3 best stats to evaluate a hitter. Since the objective of the game is to score runs then the hitter's role is to get guys home first ... with a second priority of getting on base ahead of the guy who drives you home.

I need to do the research to find out how may 9th inning RBIs are game winners ... so fair criticism as to why the 9th inning RBI ought to be #1 while the regular old any inning RBI is #2. But since the objective is winning the game ... rather than 9th inning RBIs ... I think I'll change that to game winning RBIs as #1.

As for #3 ... OBP is far more relevant than AVG or SLG in this context. SLG will get captured in RBI ... and if you have lots of 2 out doubles and get stranded ... so what? Didn't means squat. Your OBP is credited for that double ... and as long as you score you win. But I can see the arguments for OBP and SLG (not BA).

#1 Game winning RBI
#2 RBI
#3 OPS

The objective of the game isn't to score runs but to win games.

I think your explanation is silly but it seems to me that wins should be your ideal hitters stat and the only one worth bothering with.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a 10-9 game, is the 10th run more valuable than the 1st?

If a batter gets 100 chances to win a game and has 10 g.w. RBI and another batter has 10 chances and has 9 g.w RBI - who is better?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just wins?

Well, that is pretty much is what Wins Above Replacement is in theory. But to be precise, it seems rather pointless unless there is a cutoff point otherwise you get some odd numbers. The logical cutoff being 0 WAR = AAA player. Adding above replacement simply makes it easier to quantify how many wins a player is worth to his team.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The objective of the game isn't to score runs but to win games.

I think your explanation is silly but it seems to me that wins should be your ideal hitters stat and the only one worth bothering with.

You win by outscoring the other team, which you can do by.... guess what? Scoring runs.

BRIXSHAT