• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we want Risto back ? Why would Risto want to sign with us. Id have to say that statement just smoke and mirrors.
I hope your right, I see Risto as a no brainer to be gone, if he stays no way should he be above a third pairing guy. Sounds like they think One big signing will change things.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Giroux and his agent plan to discuss his options. Seems like there’s at least a chance he waives to go to a contender.

And it sounds like they recognize a need for high end talent. Downside is, sounds like they think they can find it through free agency and trades (if they don’t think it will take 3-5 years)
Somehow you have to start shedding the dead weight, is there any possibility of buying out a guy like Hayes?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow you have to start shedding the dead weight, is there any possibility of buying out a guy like Hayes?

Buyout probably doesn't make sense at this point. The penalty is like 4.5M for the next 3-4 years and then 1.5M-ish for a few years after that. (Kevin Hayes Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps)

But they could trade him. Eat salary or shed draft picks (ie the Ghost deal) to facilitate.

Hayes I'm not as concerned about, yet. His surgery ruins players for a while. If he's truly bad again next season, then it's time to be concerned. 7M is still to high, should be more of a 4-5M guy, but it is what it is.

Issue is they have a plethora of guys like that. JvR, Lindblom, Laughton, TK, Provorov, IMO Farabee too. Sanheim. They're all overpaid by at least 1-2M and more in some cases. Just can't be competitive with that.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope your right, I see Risto as a no brainer to be gone, if he stays no way should he be above a third pairing guy. Sounds like they think One big signing will change things.

Same. Risto has no business sticking around. He's fine. He'll get way overpaid. and the Flyers don't have high-end guys in place where they can start pissing away money on guys that are 'fine'.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to take 3-5 years minimum which ever way they try to save this organization.

I agree 100%. But Fletcher/Scott don't seem to think so. The only way to try to turn it around quick is through trades and free agency. And IMO, based on all the teams out there, it's impossible to build a team through free agency and trading. Free agency means spending too much cap for the value you get. And trading for better players than the ones on your roster takes picks and prospects, which is a finite number. And in the Flyers case, the number is small.

Unless the plan is to outright fleece people in trades over and over somehow, what Fletcher/Scott claim is possible, is not.

It is absolutely critical to get significant surplus value from young players on their entry level deal or their 2nd contract. The Flyers have what, 1 guy that fits in that category right now? York? Those guys are next to impossible to trade for. You have to draft and develop them. That takes time.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. Risto has no business sticking around. He's fine. He'll get way overpaid. and the Flyers don't have high-end guys in place where they can start pissing away money on guys that are 'fine'.
Exactly, I just hope someone in management sees that to.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will it say about the guy if he waives the NMC ? Could also waive with conditions -- like the only teams he will go to.

What will it say about the guy if he doesn't waive it ?
If Gee doesnt wave the NMC he is only hurting himself. I think he will move it because im sure he wants a shot at winning a cup. It doesnt mean he will get it but he will give himself a shot.

Im sure if he waives it the team will be grateful to get something back for him and probably would send him to where he would like to go.

This however is all speculation it may not ever come to fruition but IMO it will happen and we will trade Gee.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will it say about the guy if he waives the NMC ? Could also waive with conditions -- like the only teams he will go to.

What will it say about the guy if he doesn't waive it ?

If Gee doesnt wave the NMC he is only hurting himself. I think he will move it because im sure he wants a shot at winning a cup. It doesnt mean he will get it but he will give himself a shot.

Im sure if he waives it the team will be grateful to get something back for him and probably would send him to where he would like to go.

This however is all speculation it may not ever come to fruition but IMO it will happen and we will trade Gee.
Trust me, management is already in talks with teams he would go to, pretty sure his agent said he was in touch with Flyers management also. I think if it were a legit contender he'd go, Carolina, Colorado,Boston,. Hopefully one of these teams overpays and we benefit. The other question is he going to be a rental and re-sign after the season, if it's the latter it would have to be at a reduced contract, money and years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this. I think he'll waive. He might restrict it to just a handful of teams like Bacon says below. But I do think he'll waive.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. I think he'll waive. He might restrict it to just a handful of teams like Bacon says below. But I do think he'll waive.
Yea I can't see a guy playing his whole career only to pass up a legit shot at a cup. If he did would def be a head scratcher and would give me serious hesitation about re- signing him.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article ,can't find it now, but they were saying that Braun should be traded along with JVR and Ristolainen, I agree with this, get what you can for Ristolainen because if you re- sign him you've just admitted your rebuild is going to be another busted re- tool.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Claude Giroux is the man that I think he is, he'll waive his NMC and go try to win a Cup with a contending team this summer, then re-sign with us in the offseason at a reduced salary in order to retire as a Flyer in a few years. He's a Flyer legend, I don't care what anyone says. He's as competitive as anyone and would've won a Cup with us if we had managed the team better in certain years. Hopefully he can still be the veteran that helps lead us there in a couple years time.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Claude Giroux is the man that I think he is, he'll waive his NMC and go try to win a Cup with a contending team this summer, then re-sign with us in the offseason at a reduced salary in order to retire as a Flyer in a few years. He's a Flyer legend, I don't care what anyone says. He's as competitive as anyone and would've won a Cup with us if we had managed the team better in certain years. Hopefully he can still be the veteran that helps lead us there in a couple years time.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see what he decides to do this summer, regardless of what happens at the deadline.

Based on the Scott/Fletcher press conference, they seem to think they can add star power this summer. Have to believe they think they have a good shot at Gaudreau. But replacing Giroux with Gaudreau is maybe a small bump, but it's closer to net even than it is to being a franchise altering add. If they can add Gaudreau and re-sign Giroux though? Not sure where they're going to get the cap space for that.

Forsberg and Hertl also UFA this season. Couple other 'not quite star level' guys too. But again, where does the money come from? Adding star power through free agency typically doesn't come with clearance prices..

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article ,can't find it now, but they were saying that Braun should be traded along with JVR and Ristolainen, I agree with this, get what you can for Ristolainen because if you re- sign him you've just admitted your rebuild is going to be another busted re- tool.
Not trading Risto Braun would be a mistake as neither should be part of our rebuild. JVR we may have to wait until the deadline next year as his contract makes him very hard to trade.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trading Risto Braun would be a mistake as neither should be part of our rebuild. JVR we may have to wait until the deadline next year as his contract makes him very hard to trade.
I was kind of hoping maybe we trade him and retain a little of his contract, give us a little more wiggle room.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It'll be interesting to see what he decides to do this summer, regardless of what happens at the deadline.

Based on the Scott/Fletcher press conference, they seem to think they can add star power this summer. Have to believe they think they have a good shot at Gaudreau. But replacing Giroux with Gaudreau is maybe a small bump, but it's closer to net even than it is to being a franchise altering add. If they can add Gaudreau and re-sign Giroux though? Not sure where they're going to get the cap space for that.

Forsberg and Hertl also UFA this season. Couple other 'not quite star level' guys too. But again, where does the money come from? Adding star power through free agency typically doesn't come with clearance prices..
You hit it on the head. Where does the money come from?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kind of hoping maybe we trade him and retain a little of his contract, give us a little more wiggle room.
If he was an upcoming free agent it would be a lot easier to trade him this year but that 7 million for next year is tough for teams to swallow.