• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josi / Myers top quartile pair ?????

Ha. Josi is good, I don't know if he's that good. Unless Myers has a big bounce back season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Cam York is good enough right now to make our team. What does he need to do to get himself up to the big club barring any injuries form our top 7?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Cam York is good enough right now to make our team. What does he need to do to get himself up to the big club barring any injuries form our top 7?
He was a sophomore in college last season. Even if he has a great preseason, he is going to the AHL. No problem having him start in the AHL. If a top 6 gets hurt, he comes up to play. Better to have Morin as the 7th so York can play.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farabee signed a 6 year/$30 mill extension.

Surprised they signed him so early. IMO this is a risky one. Is he truly on track to be a no-doubt top 6 forward? If so, 5M is good. If he turns into more of a 1st liner or at least a high end 2nd liner, 5M is great. If he turns in to more of a bottom end 2nd liner or ideally fits as a 3rd liner, this is not a good deal.

I like Farabee, but I don't really see him as a true impact guy. So I think the "big reward" end of the spectrum is a long shot to me. 5M might be OK if he settles in as a quality 2nd liner. But it seems awfully early to make that commitment to me. As with the Hart deal, it feels like Fletcher could've gotten this deal done at a lower cap hit. 5M is a lot for a 56 point-pace in a shortened year for a guy with relatively no leverage.

Though now that I look at it, it's about what they signed with TK too. Signed him coming off a 50 point season to a 5.5Mx6 deal.

Flyers are definitely all-in on the "depth you to death" plan.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is too soon. i wouldve waited 1 more year to offer this contract
Do you think Giroux is getting the “put up or get out” message ?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Giroux is getting the “put up or get out” message ?
I hope so but im pretty sure he is aware that his career is winding down. I just hope he gives up that C real soon as its time to let Couts lead us.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised they signed him so early. IMO this is a risky one. Is he truly on track to be a no-doubt top 6 forward? If so, 5M is good. If he turns into more of a 1st liner or at least a high end 2nd liner, 5M is great. If he turns in to more of a bottom end 2nd liner or ideally fits as a 3rd liner, this is not a good deal.

I like Farabee, but I don't really see him as a true impact guy. So I think the "big reward" end of the spectrum is a long shot to me. 5M might be OK if he settles in as a quality 2nd liner. But it seems awfully early to make that commitment to me. As with the Hart deal, it feels like Fletcher could've gotten this deal done at a lower cap hit. 5M is a lot for a 56 point-pace in a shortened year for a guy with relatively no leverage.

Though now that I look at it, it's about what they signed with TK too. Signed him coming off a 50 point season to a 5.5Mx6 deal.
;
I think he'll be ok maybe a year too early but hence the fair deal. He's the least of my worries. I expect most of the young guys to bounce back this year.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally expect him to be a high end, top six forward, so the money is not crazy. I'm just surprised that it came so soon and that the contract length is so long, especially considering that this kid is only 21 years old.

To be so supremely confident that a guy who just reached the legal drinking age is going to be a star just feels like a high risk, high reward type of proposition. Also, this contract obviously will take him to unrestricted free agency unless he eventually signs another extension. I guess we were afraid of having to pay him a lot more in 3-4 seasons, so there was no bridge deal to keep him a RFA.

The total money involved doesn't concern me so much as potentially losing him after 7 more seasons when he's in his prime.

Idk what the deal is with these young kids who have yet to truly prove themselves making big money so soon now in the Nhl. Perhaps we're just worried that the cap will increase or they'll have a breakout season and we'll have to pay them much more if we don't lock them up now for less.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally expect him to be a high end, top six forward, so the money is not crazy. I'm just surprised that it came so soon and that the contract length is so long, especially considering that this kid is only 21 years old.

To be so supremely confident that a guy who just reached the legal drinking age is going to be a star just feels like a high risk, high reward type of proposition. Also, this contract obviously will take him to unrestricted free agency unless he eventually signs another extension. I guess we were afraid of having to pay him a lot more in 3-4 seasons, so there was no bridge deal to keep him a RFA.

The total money involved doesn't concern me so much as potentially losing him after 7 more seasons when he's in his prime.

Idk what the deal is with these young kids who have yet to truly prove themselves making big money so soon now in the Nhl. Perhaps we're just worried that the cap will increase or they'll have a breakout season and we'll have to pay them much more if we don't lock them up now for less.
2024-25 is going to be our year !!!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if Farabee were to go out and score 35 goals and 40 assists this upcoming season (or even the following) in a much larger role. He'd suddenly outgrow that $5 million price tag by a lot. He was on pace for 57 in 82 games last season, but it was not a good year for the team and he's seemingly improved leaps and bounds every year. If he gets 18-20 minutes of ice compared to that 16 and we are very much a better team, you just never know.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if Farabee were to go out and score 35 goals and 40 assists this upcoming season (or even the following) in a much larger role. He'd suddenly outgrow that $5 million price tag by a lot. He was on pace for 57 in 82 games last season, but it was not a good year for the team and he's seemingly improved leaps and bounds every year. If he gets 18-20 minutes of ice compared to that 16 and we are very much a better team, you just never know.
I saw something that 17 of his 20 goals were 5 on 5 which put him in the top 15 at even strength. Maybe a little more PP time and who knows.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw something that 17 of his 20 goals were 5 on 5 which put him in the top 15 at even strength. Maybe a little more PP time and who knows.
Exactly. He's very likely going to get better, the team around him will also be much improved and he's going to be in a lot more situations that favor him offensively, especially minus Voracek. It will be surprising if he doesn't have a breakout season very soon. All signs point to him taking on more responsibilities and also producing more as he continues to improve in this league. The dude is only 21, he's just very good for his age, so we made a pretty damn good pick at 14th overall.

The big question will be: What is his actual ceiling in the Nhl? Regardless, I think $5 million will be money well spent on him.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love the $20 signing bonus.
First unmatched offer sheet in 14 years

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. He's very likely going to get better, the team around him will also be much improved and he's going to be in a lot more situations that favor him offensively, especially minus Voracek. It will be surprising if he doesn't have a breakout season very soon. All signs point to him taking on more responsibilities and also producing more as he continues to improve in this league. The dude is only 21, he's just very good for his age, so we made a pretty damn good pick at 14th overall.

The big question will be: What is his actual ceiling in the Nhl? Regardless, I think $5 million will be money well spent on him.

We said a lot of these same things about Konecny after 61 points in 66 games in '19-'20. For guys outside the 'generational talent' level, it's rarely a continuous progression upwards. I actually expect a down year from Farabee compared to last year. He shot 16.4% last year. That won't happen again this year. League average was 9.2% and hasn't been that high since '08-'09. Farabee might be better than league average, but 16% is Auston Matthews level shooting and I don't think we think he's THAT good.

Some of that might get balanced out because the team is better. But I don't really expect him to have a huge rise in opportunities. He might play PP2, but I don't think he's cracking PP1 with Giroux, Couturier, JvR, Atkinson, Konecny, Ellis, Provorov fighting for those spots.

I guess I'm just hesitant after Konecny's drop in particular. Farabee obviously brings more two way play and you wouldn't think that would take a dip even if the production does. So that limits the downside. I just don't think there's a huge upside with Farabee, but he should still be a good value at 5M. Would've just preferred a slightly lower hit, or waiting a few more months to see what this year looks like offensively after shooting the lights out last year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We said a lot of these same things about Konecny after 61 points in 66 games in '19-'20. For guys outside the 'generational talent' level, it's rarely a continuous progression upwards. I actually expect a down year from Farabee compared to last year. He shot 16.4% last year. That won't happen again this year. League average was 9.2% and hasn't been that high since '08-'09. Farabee might be better than league average, but 16% is Auston Matthews level shooting and I don't think we think he's THAT good.

Some of that might get balanced out because the team is better. But I don't really expect him to have a huge rise in opportunities. He might play PP2, but I don't think he's cracking PP1 with Giroux, Couturier, JvR, Atkinson, Konecny, Ellis, Provorov fighting for those spots.

I guess I'm just hesitant after Konecny's drop in particular. Farabee obviously brings more two way play and you wouldn't think that would take a dip even if the production does. So that limits the downside. I just don't think there's a huge upside with Farabee, but he should still be a good value at 5M. Would've just preferred a slightly lower hit, or waiting a few more months to see what this year looks like offensively after shooting the lights out last year.
I agree 100%