• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derick Brassard - one-year, $825,000 contract. Interesting and unexpected.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derick Brassard - one-year, $825,000 contract. Interesting and unexpected.

Yep, came here to post that too. Interesting and unexpected, agreed. Another guy competing for a job at the bottom of the lineup. Or to be stay up in a press box role.

Shouldn't impact the cap much, if he makes the team, one of the others won't.

I'm fine with it. A little more insurance in case Frost doesn't win a spot. Also forcing him to win it, rather than just handing it to him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also brings the Flyers to the 50 contract limit looks like, according to cap friendly.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, came here to post that too. Interesting and unexpected, agreed. Another guy competing for a job at the bottom of the lineup. Or to be stay up in a press box role.

Shouldn't impact the cap much, if he makes the team, one of the others won't.

I'm fine with it. A little more insurance in case Frost doesn't win a spot. Also forcing him to win it, rather than just handing it to him.
I'm sure he played under Vigneault and with Hayes in New York, so there's a lot of familiarity, plus he has more Nhl playoff experience than anyone on our team and by a lot. Comes surprisingly cheap. This should help improve leadership and the growth of our youngsters, at the very least.

This is like a free deadline move without having to wait until the deadline.

Great signing.

Also, RIP Jimmy Hayes. I didn't see anyone bring this up earlier and I'm still wondering what could suddenly kill him at only age 31.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm not mistaken, Brassard also played with Atkinson, Thompson and Yandle at one time or another. He's really gotten around obviously as this is his 9th different Nhl team.

I'd say that the culture of our Flyers has successfully been altered this offseason.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought with the Derick Brassard signing that Frost is still recovering from his shoulder injury or needs more seasoning in the AHL. Laughton (would prefer to keep him at LW) or Brassard can hold 3C and 4C with Thompson as the spare part until Frost is ready. With Frost in the AHL we would be just under the cap.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh. Fletcher loses badly to Hart, has an odd negotiation with Sanheim, and then gets Couturier on a downright steal. I don't get it? I love it, but I don't get it.

Hometown discount from Coots if there ever was one. I thought for sure we'd be looking at $9 for him. Maybe he doesn't like money? :lol:

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh. Fletcher loses badly to Hart, has an odd negotiation with Sanheim, and then gets Couturier on a downright steal. I don't get it? I love it, but I don't get it.

Hometown discount from Coots if there ever was one. I thought for sure we'd be looking at $9 for him. Maybe he doesn't like money? :lol:
$7.75 average for him. Sounds like he really likes playing in Philly.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couts agent sucks LOL Lucky for us!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought with the Derick Brassard signing that Frost is still recovering from his shoulder injury or needs more seasoning in the AHL. Laughton (would prefer to keep him at LW) or Brassard can hold 3C and 4C with Thompson as the spare part until Frost is ready. With Frost in the AHL we would be just under the cap.
Love this move because you can never have too much depth at center and we sorely need defensive forwards that come cheap.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I'm definitely buying a #14 jersey. This dude is an absolute stud. I would say he's clearly our best player at this stage and only just entering the prime of his career at age 28. He was maybe the best bang for your buck forward in the league at $4.33 million and is still very worthwhile at $7.75 million. I was worried we were going to lose him soon, for sure, so this is a giant load off.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm definitely buying a #14 jersey. This dude is an absolute stud. I would say he's clearly our best player at this stage and only just entering the prime of his career at age 28. He was maybe the best bang for your buck forward in the league at $4.33 million and is still very worthwhile at $7.75 million. I was worried we were going to lose him soon, for sure, so this is a giant load off.
After Couts signs for $7.5, G is taking a big pay cut next year.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Couts signs for $7.5, G is taking a big pay cut next year.
G is past his prime though, obviously, and his production has shown that too, to some extent. I think it's reasonable for both parties to expect that he'll take a pay cut, idk about "big", but certainly a cut.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G is past his prime though, obviously, and his production has shown that too, to some extent. I think it's reasonable for both parties to expect that he'll take a pay cut, idk about "big", but certainly a cut.
It will really depend on G's season. If he gets back to 2018-2019, then not a big cut. If he stays consistent with the last 2 years, he will be in the $5 - $6 range, which is at least 25% less. Will he being willing to give a hometown discount like Couts? Whether or not he is worth it, Couts gets $9+ on the open market.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will really depend on G's season. If he gets back to 2018-2019, then not a big cut. If he stays consistent with the last 2 years, he will be in the $5 - $6 range, which is at least 25% less. Will he being willing to give a hometown discount like Couts? Whether or not he is worth it, Couts gets $9+ on the open market.
For sure, agreed. I think if Giroux is loyal and wants to remain a Flyer for the vast majority of his career, he'll sign an extension at that reduced rate without blinking. If his loyalty doesn't remain with Philly, he'll go elsewhere and try to make a little bit more money or go to a serious contender for less to win a Cup.

Couts probably could've just about named his price in free agency....Lol