• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, as it was for Hart, I think it's time to see what York or Allison can add to this team. I mean come on, at this point they can't be any worse than Yandle, Seeler, or Ristolainen.

I don't think it will be long for Allison. He played his first game of the season for the Phantoms over the weekend and it sounds like he played really well. Give him a few more games to get back up to speed and I think he'll be up.

Sounds like York has been a bit up and down so far this season and just got back from COVID. I think it'll be a while still for him. Personally I wouldn't risk his development trying to save the Flyers right now. Too big of a long shot and even with a rebuild he could still be a useful piece.

Last edited:

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be long for Allison. He played his first game of the season for the Phantoms over the weekend and it sounds like he played really well. Give him a few more games to get back up to speed and I think he'll be up.

Sounds like York has been a bit up and down so far this season and just got back from COVID. I think it'll be a while still for him. Personally I wouldn't risk his development trying to save the Flyers right now. Too big of a long shot and even with a rebuild he could still be a useful piece.
Except for Laughton our bottom 6 are abysmal, if you could replace those 5 guys with Phantom players who would you go with?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for Laughton our bottom 6 are abysmal, if you could replace those 5 guys with Phantom players who would you go with?

Unfortunately the Phantoms suck haha. So I don't think I could say with any confidence that the Flyers bottom 6 should be replaced with Phantoms. Allison once he's back up to speed will be a no brainer. But after that you're looking at career minor leaguers for the most part. They certainly aren't going to save the NHL team. If the Flyers want to improve, they need more from the guys that are there or it's time to start trading.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decent Flyers prospects left, and even these guys are talked about more as mid-to-bottom of the lineup type guys, are Brink (NCAA), Attard (NCAA) and Cates (NCAA). Desnoyers (CHL) is having a good year and I think Andrae (SWE) is too. Foerster (CHL) is out for the year and Wisdom (CHL) was sent back to his junior team.

York and Zamula are about it that are with the Phantoms and could be called up. I think Zamula was out for a while too. But I think he'd come up before York just because he's got a little more pro experience and has actually played a couple NHL games.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decent Flyers prospects left, and even these guys are talked about more as mid-to-bottom of the lineup type guys, are Brink (NCAA), Attard (NCAA) and Cates (NCAA). Desnoyers (CHL) is having a good year and I think Andrae (SWE) is too. Foerster (CHL) is out for the year and Wisdom (CHL) was sent back to his junior team.

York and Zamula are about it that are with the Phantoms and could be called up. I think Zamula was out for a while too. But I think he'd come up before York just because he's got a little more pro experience and has actually played a couple NHL games.
Put JVR on top line with G & Coots and feed him pucks all night to get his goals up (maybe) and he goes at trade deadline

2nd line of TK Farabee and Allison. Don’t know if any of them can play center - just go out and do young kid shit and see what happens.

Hayes Atkinson and Laughton on third and who ever is left on 4 th.

That should tank it this year.

Don’t give G an offer - trade anyone you can that is over 25 for draft picks. That should tank 22-23.

Find a new scouting group. Get a coach that can develop players. Put Lappy in the booth with J Jackson.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that brings us back to your comment on the Phantoms and our player development process, why does it suck so bad, I mean there are a lot of teams who have players they plug in and they succeed, ours not so much. We're so fucked lol.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were Flyers’ Friday and Saturday’s wins a sign of better days to come or fool’s gold?

This is from a headline in the Athletic. I really hope its better days ahead because the first 25% of this season was really bad. It says we can compete with Ellis and Allison back as well JVR actually scoring for a change. It would be nice if we could just compete every night . Maybe we could even do it for 60 minutes a couple of games.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put JVR on top line with G & Coots and feed him pucks all night to get his goals up (maybe) and he goes at trade deadline

2nd line of TK Farabee and Allison. Don’t know if any of them can play center - just go out and do young kid shit and see what happens.

Don’t give G an offer - trade anyone you can that is over 25 for draft picks. That should tank 22-23.

Find a new scouting group. Get a coach that can develop players. Put Lappy in the booth with J Jackson.
Do we really need to keep recycling Lappy?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that brings us back to your comment on the Phantoms and our player development process, why does it suck so bad, I mean there are a lot of teams who have players they plug in and they succeed, ours not so much. We're so fucked lol.
Thanks Ron Hextall!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JVR on the top line has been done over and over and over and he always seems to screw it up.

I like the rest of this post.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were Flyers’ Friday and Saturday’s wins a sign of better days to come or fool’s gold?

This is from a headline in the Athletic. I really hope its better days ahead because the first 25% of this season was really bad. It says we can compete with Ellis and Allison back as well JVR actually scoring for a change. It would be nice if we could just compete every night . Maybe we could even do it for 60 minutes a couple of games.
Ellis is such a huge question mark, I'd be surprised if he played in 50% of the games we have left. If we get back to contention we need to do everything we can for the best Dman available at the trade deadline.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lines for tonight:
LWCRW

Scott Laughton

Sean Couturier

Travis Konecny

Morgan Frost

Claude Giroux

Cam Atkinson

James van Riemsdyk

Kevin Hayes

Max Willman

Oskar Lindblom

Patrick Brown

Zack MacEwen
Source

Defense​

Ivan Provorov

Justin Braun

Travis Sanheim

Rasmus Ristolainen

Keith Yandle

Kevin Connauton

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis is such a huge question mark, I'd be surprised if he played in 50% of the games we have left. If we get back to contention we need to do everything we can for the best Dman available at the trade deadline.
Its a looooooong way back to contention but the last two times we had 10 game losing streaks we made the playoffs. :nod:

Even if we made it back i would doubt that we would be buyers at the deadline.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a looooooong way back to contention but the last two times we had 10 game losing streaks we made the playoffs. :nod:

Even if we made it back i would doubt that we would be buyers at the deadline.
Last article I saw had NO timeline for Ellis to even be back on ice, let alone getting ready to play.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a combination IMO. Development, but also drafting guys with high potential. Hextall's tendency was "two way guys" and skating wasn't viewed as a deal breaker. The result is no game breaking talent and a slow team. I think his hope was that Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and BSchenn would be game-breaking talent so he didn't need to draft for that. He needed to fill out the roster with steady guys that would hit their floor consistently and relatively quickly so they could contribute to the NHL team.

Problem is, Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Schenn aren't game breaking talents night in and night out anymore (if they ever were). So now they need game breakers from a pool of guys that don't really have that ceiling and the whole thing falls apart.

It's difficult to re-tool like that and be competitive. Perhaps Hextall was naïve for even trying. Look at the consensus contenders in the NHL right now.

Edmonton: McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, Nurse, Bouchard, Broberg, Puljujarvi were all top 10 picks
Toronto: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly were top 10 picks
Colorado: Rantanen, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Makar, Jost were top 10 picks
Tampa: Stamkos, Hedman were 1st overall and they made good trades for Sergachev, Bogosian who were top 10 (plus they were excellent later too with Vasilevsky and Point)
Florida: Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad were top 3 picks plus they've made good additions of Bennet and Reinhart who were also top 5 picks

The backbone of these teams is in top 10 draft picks. And only Colorado is missing two 1st overall guys if you include Tavares for Toronto. Going back further you have teams like Washington and Pittsburgh that had Crosby/OV. Blackhawks had Toews (3rd) and Kane (1st). Doughty (2nd) Kopitar (11th), and Brown (13th) were the backbone of the Kings teams.

So that takes us back to 2009 and only the Blues and Bruins won without that kind of top of the draft talent. Though the Blues did have a 1st overall in Pietrangelo. So the past 12 cups and I think you'd take the odds that TB, EDM, TOR, COL, and FLA will win the majority of next 3-4 at least; and only 1 team was really built without multiple top 10 picks.

I think even the most ardent supporters of Hextall's re-tool said this in the summer. Take one more kick at the can with this crew and if it doesn't work, take it down to the studs. Bottom out for as long as at takes to build up that "top 10 backbone" and hopefully we don't turn into the Buffalos of the world, languishing in the basement for decades.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s just an all around good win. I bet the players feel 100 lbs lighter tonight.