• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I to agree with this whole post, question is will it happen? Allison and Ellis coming back isn't going to fix anything. Besides how long before Ellis gets injured again? Maybe a whole house cleaning is in order. Time to go after younger talent and lock it up instead of aging vets to try and mend a broken situation.
A whole house cleaning has been in order for 3-4 years now. You asked a very good question will it happen?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A whole house cleaning has been in order for 3-4 years now. You asked a very good question will it happen?
I hope so, the players we have now are equivalent to an expansion team. Nothing can hurt at this point and nothing should be off the table.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I to agree with this whole post, question is will it happen? Allison and Ellis coming back isn't going to fix anything. Besides how long before Ellis gets injured again? Maybe a whole house cleaning is in order. Time to go after younger talent and lock it up instead of aging vets to try and mend a broken situation.

At some point it has to right? Obviously I've defended this crew for a long time. The potential was there. They had flashes of it. But the evidence that they're just not good enough is starting to outweigh the evidence that they could be. Youth isn't an excuse anymore. Those guys aren't that young anymore. They gave this crew a fair shot, but it's getting pretty close to time to pull the plug.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you got the Purdue basketball team going for ya.
They are looking pretty good. Heading into some real competition so we’ll see if they hold up.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point it has to right? Obviously I've defended this crew for a long time. The potential was there. They had flashes of it. But the evidence that they're just not good enough is starting to outweigh the evidence that they could be. Youth isn't an excuse anymore. Those guys aren't that young anymore. They gave this crew a fair shot, but it's getting pretty close to time to pull the plug.
So how much of this can be laid at the feet of piss-poor player development ? Sure you need the players - but at 18/19 years old, there’s a big development hole that has to be filled.

I have the same issue with their strength and conditioning team. Flyers seem to have had more than their fare share of injuries. They can’t possibly be so jinxed that they get fragile players. (Ellis excluded from this comment as he was a real injury risk coming in)

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at next years cap situation makes it tough to tear down. 14 plays for $67 mill with $14 mill available. JVR and Hayes probably stay as they would be real hard (ie. next to impossible) to move. Couts should still be untouchable. You could move TK, Farabee, Sanheim, and even Provy, but what return as they are all still young but playing below their cap hit.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how much of this can be laid at the feet of piss-poor player development ? Sure you need the players - but at 18/19 years old, there’s a big development hole that has to be filled.

I have the same issue with their strength and conditioning team. Flyers seem to have had more than their fare share of injuries. They can’t possibly be so jinxed that they get fragile players. (Ellis excluded from this comment as he was a real injury risk coming in)
All the blame belongs on Hextall for drafting and trading for all these players.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at next years cap situation makes it tough to tear down. 14 plays for $67 mill with $14 mill available. JVR and Hayes probably stay as they would be real hard (ie. next to impossible) to move. Couts should still be untouchable. You could move TK, Farabee, Sanheim, and even Provy, but what return as they are all still young but playing below their cap hit.
I keep Farabee at all costs. He's the only shining star in this younger group.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure Hextall would say piss poor development! But it's got to be a combination of both. At the end of the day Hextall added guys that haven't gotten good enough for the Flyers to be a contender. Plus Hextall had a pretty big say in how the players were developed anyway. I agree with las, if this really is as "good" as it gets with this group, Hextall carries the blame.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep Farabee at all costs. He's the only shining star in this younger group.

Hart is the only guy I'd hang up the phone on. He's still young enough, though playing being garbage for a few years will probably ruin him.

Farabee doesn't really move the needle that much for me to be honest. He's good, but he's not anything special IMO. The right way to do a rebuild IMO is to find special first, then fill out the roster. Don't waste time, cap space, and draft slot on "good" until you have special already.

Hart could be special.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart is the only guy I'd hang up the phone on. He's still young enough, though playing being garbage for a few years will probably ruin him.

Farabee doesn't really move the needle that much for me to be honest. He's good, but he's not anything special IMO. The right way to do a rebuild IMO is to find special first, then fill out the roster. Don't waste time, cap space, and draft slot on "good" until you have special already.

Hart could be special.
Hes a good secondary scorer and you're going to need that going forward. We need at least 2-3 good snipers and 2-3 good solid dmen. That's just a start, Hart is def going to be the building block for this team but his longevity depends on how fast this gets turned around. Good news is like you said, these big contracts For Hayes, JVR and Roo start going away. The problem is does our GM use that money wisely? Remember, Fletcher is the one who gave Parise and Suter their contracts in Minny. Other than that we can always tank for a pick ala Edmonton.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other funny thing I've noticed, all the articles Las posted, none of them blame the coaching, we have a staff of ex head coaches who have failed at that level. How does that translate to a team? Somewhere there's a flawed system?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes a good secondary scorer and you're going to need that going forward. We need at least 2-3 good snipers and 2-3 good solid dmen. That's just a start, Hart is def going to be the building block for this team but his longevity depends on how fast this gets turned around. Good news is like you said, these big contracts For Hayes, JVR and Roo start going away. The problem is does our GM use that money wisely? Remember, Fletcher is the one who gave Parise and Suter their contracts in Minny. Other than that we can always tank for a pick ala Edmonton.

Ya, absolutely you do. But I think starting there is how you end up in limbo. You get (or keep) 4-6 guys that are Farabee's level and then you're competitive enough to stay out of the top 5 at the draft, but only good enough to compete for a playoff spot. Plus you use up a bunch of money, crippling your ability to take advantage of the rare stars that do get to free agency. A la Panarin in NYR, though he specifically wanted to play in NY and wasn't available to other teams anyway, just an example.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other funny thing I've noticed, all the articles Las posted, none of them blame the coaching, we have a staff of ex head coaches who have failed at that level. How does that translate to a team? Somewhere there's a flawed system?
Flyers coaches since 2013
Laviolette - Cup Winner elsewhere
Berube - Cup winner elsewhere
Hakstol - hasn’t done anything anywhere and part of the Hextall Hell
AV - 2 Cup Finals

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers coaches since 2013
Laviolette - Cup Winner elsewhere
Berube - Cup winner elsewhere
Hakstol - hasn’t done anything anywhere and part of the Hextall Hell
AV - 2 Cup Finals
I was referring to our bench coaching, also Lavy went to the finals with the Preds but didn't win.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to our bench coaching, also Lavy went to the finals with the Preds but didn't win.
I totally agree with Yeo and Therien being awful. Lappy at the Phantoms is also a disaster.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with Yeo and Therien being awful. Lappy at the Phantoms is also a disaster.
The coaching at all levels is abysmal, hard to imagine 20 guys not on the same page game in and game out. That's a pure coaching flaw.